What Makes Theese Yahoo Guys "Experts" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What Makes Theese Yahoo Guys "Experts"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:19 pm

Oh, these fantasy experts aren't all bad. At least they are funny to read. Here is a closer report by TMR on April 11th of last year,

here’s a list of 8 closer candidates that you may not have heard of, or, at the very least, haven’t thought about them as potential closers.

MATTY’S OBSCURE CLOSER CANDIDATES

Julio Mateo – How is this guy a potential closer in a crowded Seattle bullpen, you say? Shiggy Hasegawa is better suited to middle relief = he did it with smoke and mirrors last year and had already blown a save. Rafael Soriano is terrific but could very well wind up in the rotation. So if Guardado can’t stay healthy, enter Mateo who had a ridiculous 71 strikeouts against 13 walks over 85 innings last year. His 0.96 WHIP wasn’t too shabby either.
Rafael Bentacourt – Cleveland manager Eric Wedge already said when David Riske had to miss a game due to the birth of his kidd, Bentacourt would get the save chance if it arose. It didn’t, but the fact remains: He’s got great stuff. 2.13 ERA, 1.015 WHIP for the Tribe last year over 38 IP. Nice.
Chad Bentz – This year’s feel good story is also a helluva pitcher. A lefty born with a birth defect (ala Jim Abbot), this one is more of a gut call than anything else. Rocky Biddle isn’t the most rock solid closer and Luis Ayala and Chad Cordero are the obvious choices if Rocky Biddle fails. Again. That said, Robinson loves this kid, because he’s a lefty he’ll be put in certan situations and the fact that he’s made it to the bigs after all he’s been through tells me he’s tough as nails. And oh yeah. He had 16 saves in Double A last year. I bet he gets 5-10 saves before it’s all said and done.
Jesse Crain – He’s not even in the majors right now and yet I think he finishes the year as the Twins closer. As he rose through all three minor league levels last year, he had 114/25 K/BB over 84 IP. Lights. Out.
Akinori Ohtsuka – Hoffman’s health isn’t a given and Rod Beck is nowhere to be seen. Enter Ohtsuka who is a veteran and saved 137 games during seven seasons in Japan.
Chris Reitsma – He’s done it before and Smoltz’ elbow is always a risk.
David Aardsma – Nen is injured and both Herges and Felix Rodriguez have had chances in the past… and have blown them. Aardsma was a closer for Rice’s college World Series team and was the Ginats #1 pick last year. And he’s already in the bigs.
Kerry Ligtenberg – Lopez and Speir get the ink in Toronto, but Lightenberg closer very effectively for Atlanta a while back and had a 1.80 ERA and a 12/1 K/BB over 10 IP during the spring.

I don't think these guys even combined for 10 saves. I could have randomly picked eight RP's and gotten better results. I think TMR is one of my favorites because you gotta have some kind of skill to be 100% wrong all the time.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shamsky69 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:23 am

ok, that is pretty hilarious.

Playing the closer guessing game can be tough, though. I wouldn't wanna have to put that down in print!
Shamsky69
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:42 am

Garry26 wrote:These guys get 100s of emails. They pick a few to read and post a few of them on some articles. Thats all. Theyre not very good at predicting how good players will do, but they are very good at draft strategy.

Simply follow their draft strategy advice with your own projections and youll be fine. Use their projections and you're in trouble.

I dont really agree with this either. To a lot of people their draft strategies are seriously questionable. Most of them heavily weight positional scarcity and many see that as a flaw in their method. The fact that they are drafting SSs like they are rare diamonds in their mock drafts only shows that. They overrank and jump for sleepers regularly too.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chicksdigdalongball » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:10 am

Carey Saders wrote:Because they're allowed to browse these forums while at work.

I, on the other hand, am looking over my shoulder as we speak (or I should say "read").

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh outloud. Something right out of "Office Space"....nice post!
chicksdigdalongball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:27 pm

Shamsky69 wrote:Garry26, you are a wise man. Finally, a little reason.

And CubsFan, just because I'm now a registered member doesn't mean I haven't been posting as a guest for a long time. Sheesh, didn't you notice that I called myself a fantasy nerd several times already in this post.

You ready? I'll give you hint as to where I work:

E___s Sp___s B____u

Oh, and I've been playing fantball since '89, junior. ;-D

Do you just go around following my posts and trying to start arguments with me? And why the deuce do I care if you work for the Elias Sports Bureau? Can we not disagree with these guys, since they usually have faulty opinions, without you calling us all bitter nerds?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers