What Makes Theese Yahoo Guys "Experts" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What Makes Theese Yahoo Guys "Experts"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Shamsky69 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:15 pm

Sheesh, you guys have to be some of the most bitter nerds I've ever encountered. Relax, it's fantasy baseball.

Listen, some of those fantball guys are crap but I really think most of them are fairly decent. So much of fantasy BB - no, sports - no, life - is speculation.

I mean, phrases like "those guys are morons, I know the top cafe members would murder them" is nerd-speak for: "I'm bitter and hate my sorry job/life." Sorry, I know those be fighting words....

Let's not forget that to win a fantasy league you still need a bunch of luck in the end. If you're good, you're always good - but to beat someone else in the final playoff series of a H2H you need to be hot.

Go to those ESPN insider rankings that one of you guys (by the way, you rock) provided us with. Now, tell me that if you're playing in a standard league that you couldn't at least agree with the structure of that doc. Anyone who says those rankings are garbage is a tool, or as we say in Crooklyn - a hammer.

;-D
Shamsky69
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 45
Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crooklyn

Postby RedSoxdominate » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:39 pm

Rest assured that if you rely on Yahoo! fantasy advice, you'll field a lineup of underachievers. Same applies for football. The general rule is, if they say to bench a guy, start him.
RedSoxdominate
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 86
Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: McLean, VA

Postby Woolly » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:55 pm

What Makes Theese Yahoo Guys "Experts"


Nothing really. At least, not much more than any of the guys here at the cafe. They just have access to a large website.
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 220
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:10 pm

Shamsky69 wrote:Sheesh, you guys have to be some of the most bitter nerds I've ever encountered. Relax, it's fantasy baseball.

Listen, some of those fantball guys are crap but I really think most of them are fairly decent. So much of fantasy BB - no, sports - no, life - is speculation.

I mean, phrases like "those guys are morons, I know the top cafe members would murder them" is nerd-speak for: "I'm bitter and hate my sorry job/life." Sorry, I know those be fighting words....

Let's not forget that to win a fantasy league you still need a bunch of luck in the end. If you're good, you're always good - but to beat someone else in the final playoff series of a H2H you need to be hot.

Go to those ESPN insider rankings that one of you guys (by the way, you rock) provided us with. Now, tell me that if you're playing in a standard league that you couldn't at least agree with the structure of that doc. Anyone who says those rankings are garbage is a tool, or as we say in Crooklyn - a hammer.

;-D


You can call us fantsay nerds all you want if it makes you feel better, because a lot of us are.

The fact of the matter is that the info passed through this forum is at a different level than that of the "insider" stuff at ESPN, CBS, Yahoo, or whatever mainstream fantasy place where "experts" reside.

Collectively, we form a fantasy brain that analyses, debates, theorizes, and studies fantasy baseball 24 hours a day, every day. How can the Funstons, Karabells, and Kockfrofts of the world begin to compete with this resource unless they themselves tap into it?

When these "experts" publish their stuff, we critique it and pick it apart. We realize things they do not because the theories they are using have been discussed in detail here many times and have heard arguments either way - and there is a right and wrong answer to many questions - not all opinions are right unlike what some people would have you believe. The beauty is that in fantsay baseball, results are tabulated, so to see who is right and who is wrong isnt subjective.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:08 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Shamsky69 wrote:Sheesh, you guys have to be some of the most bitter nerds I've ever encountered. Relax, it's fantasy baseball.

Listen, some of those fantball guys are crap but I really think most of them are fairly decent. So much of fantasy BB - no, sports - no, life - is speculation.

I mean, phrases like "those guys are morons, I know the top cafe members would murder them" is nerd-speak for: "I'm bitter and hate my sorry job/life." Sorry, I know those be fighting words....

Let's not forget that to win a fantasy league you still need a bunch of luck in the end. If you're good, you're always good - but to beat someone else in the final playoff series of a H2H you need to be hot.

Go to those ESPN insider rankings that one of you guys (by the way, you rock) provided us with. Now, tell me that if you're playing in a standard league that you couldn't at least agree with the structure of that doc. Anyone who says those rankings are garbage is a tool, or as we say in Crooklyn - a hammer.

;-D


You can call us fantsay nerds all you want if it makes you feel better, because a lot of us are.

The fact of the matter is that the info passed through this forum is at a different level than that of the "insider" stuff at ESPN, CBS, Yahoo, or whatever mainstream fantasy place where "experts" reside.

Collectively, we form a fantasy brain that analyses, debates, theorizes, and studies fantasy baseball 24 hours a day, every day. How can the Funstons, Karabells, and Kockfrofts of the world begin to compete with this resource unless they themselves tap into it?

When these "experts" publish their stuff, we critique it and pick it apart. We realize things they do not because the theories they are using have been discussed in detail here many times and have heard arguments either way - and there is a right and wrong answer to many questions - not all opinions are right unlike what some people would have you believe. The beauty is that in fantsay baseball, results are tabulated, so to see who is right and who is wrong isnt subjective.


Mate, you've nailed it again.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Shamsky69 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:05 pm

Listen Cornbread, I myself am a fantasy nerd from way back. I just can't help but cringe when I hear things like "we will crush the world with our collective brain." A little too fascist for my taste. (also reminds me of kids who play Dungeons & Dragons, and that just ain't right!)

Do you honestly believe that Karabell, for example, just started playing fantasy yesterday or that you would absolutely have some form of advantage if you played in a league of his? c'mon now son...

Really, those guys are probably on the same level as most of us nerds. However, they get paid because they wouldn't make the typing errors you just did... no, no - just kidding. The fact is that it's a job you probably wouldn't turn down!

cheers.

Crooklyn
Shamsky69
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 45
Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crooklyn

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:19 pm

Shamsky69 wrote:Listen Cornbread, I myself am a fantasy nerd from way back. I just can't help but cringe when I hear things like "we will crush the world with our collective brain." A little too fascist for my taste. (also reminds me of kids who play Dungeons & Dragons, and that just ain't right!)

Do you honestly believe that Karabell, for example, just started playing fantasy yesterday or that you would absolutely have some form of advantage if you played in a league of his? c'mon now son...

Really, those guys are probably on the same level as most of us nerds. However, they get paid because they wouldn't make the typing errors you just did... no, no - just kidding. The fact is that it's a job you probably wouldn't turn down!

cheers.

Crooklyn
Hey, thanks for registering 6 days ago then go around calling us fantasy nerds! And yet you registered for this site :-? ? Anyways, the advice these guys give is usually suspect, and that hurts new players who will follow their advice.
Image
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6426
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: AKA 34=Sweetness on FFC

Postby pgbridge2000 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:28 pm

My list of players that went a little too low (some may not be good, but their better than their position considering the risk of their draft spot v. the reward)

Player Draft Spot Position
Carl Crawfored 41 OF
Mark Texeira 43 1B
Alfonso Soriano 46 2B
Miguel Cabrera 61 OF
Carlos Delgado 64 1B
Francisco Rodriguez 75 RP
Mark Loretta 87 2B
Eric Chavez 91 3B
Vernon Wells 101 OF
Kerry Wood 107 SP
Mark Prior 135 SP
Roy Halladay 159 SP
Rich Harden 162 SP
Victor Martinez 194 C
Chone Figgins 202 2B/SS/3B/OF
Jon Lieber 233 SP
Nomar Garciaparra 260 SS
----------------------------------
Everyone from here on wouldn't make a 12 team roster so just consider the alternatives.

Orlando Hernandez 289 SP
Aaron Miles 378 2B
Magglio Ordonez 389 OF
Mike Piazza 405 C
Ken Griffey Jr. 417 OF
Troy Glaus 438 3B
David Wright 449 3B
Richie Sexson 473 1B
Jason Giambi 505 1B
Nick Johnson 550 1B
Jose Reyes 581 2B/SS
Scott Kazmir 664 SP
Joe Mauer 821 C
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Image
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 98
Joined: 20 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: My Computer

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:44 pm

pgbridge2000 wrote:My list of players that went a little too low (some may not be good, but their better than their position considering the risk of their draft spot v. the reward)

Player Draft Spot Position
Carl Crawfored 41 OF
Mark Texeira 43 1B
Alfonso Soriano 46 2B
Miguel Cabrera 61 OF
Carlos Delgado 64 1B
Francisco Rodriguez 75 RP
Mark Loretta 87 2B
Eric Chavez 91 3B
Vernon Wells 101 OF
Kerry Wood 107 SP
Mark Prior 135 SP
Roy Halladay 159 SP
Rich Harden 162 SP
Victor Martinez 194 C
Chone Figgins 202 2B/SS/3B/OF
Jon Lieber 233 SP
Nomar Garciaparra 260 SS
----------------------------------
Everyone from here on wouldn't make a 12 team roster so just consider the alternatives.

Orlando Hernandez 289 SP
Aaron Miles 378 2B
Magglio Ordonez 389 OF
Mike Piazza 405 C
Ken Griffey Jr. 417 OF
Troy Glaus 438 3B
David Wright 449 3B
Richie Sexson 473 1B
Jason Giambi 505 1B
Nick Johnson 550 1B
Jose Reyes 581 2B/SS
Scott Kazmir 664 SP
Joe Mauer 821 C


no offense, but what does this have to do with the topic
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5820
Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Magical Valley Of Love And Happiness

Postby DannyMyron89 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:01 pm

The fact is that most of the yahoo guys dont know as much as the people in the cafe but they get paid for it...
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 265
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp, ensanimal and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Boston at Toronto
(12:37 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact