Why Draft Now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Draft Now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why Draft Now?

Postby jbird669 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Hello all, I was just curious why a lot of you are drafting this early, before spring training even begins? Aren't you concerned about injuries and guys not making the team? I did that in football and the 2nd pick was Ricky Williams, and you football fans know how that turned out. It makes little sense to me. And I understand it forced you to prepare more and pay attention to offseason moves, but there are too many factors working against you.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Carey Saders » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:02 pm

Cause I cannot wait. I get the fantasy baseball bug in Decemeber and am going nuts by February.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:03 pm

I just sign up for draft dates when yahoo opens. If you sign up late then you get stuck with horrible draft dates.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:04 pm

Sometimes it's just not feasible. While I've never drafted this early, I am playing in some cafe keepers where we want everyone to be active and draft their team. Since we all can't agree on a live draft time, we chose to do a slow draft during the course of spring training and a few weeks before.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:04 pm

The reason I draft this early is because quite frankly I can't wait untill mid-march to have my drafts. Also you can have some time befor the season starts to get your line-up ready to go (basically trading).
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:11 pm

eftda wrote:I just sign up for draft dates when yahoo opens. If you sign up late then you get stuck with horrible draft dates.

While this may be true that good time slots fill up fast, Yahoo will wait for all the slots to fill and they will open all the slots again for more leagues. So even if you get stuck with a crappy day and time initially, if your commish is diligent they can keep checking back and switch to a better time slot when they open.

I'm really surprised with how many people are not aware of this. :-?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:13 pm

I like to draft as late as possible but I also like to set my league drafts on days where the most can participate. I find sunday evenings work well, but the last sunday before Opening Day this year is Easter so I probably won't schedule it then. I also like Monday evenings. It seems most people are at home then.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:13 pm

I like to draft relatively early.

Preseason trades are pretty cool, but I also like to leave room for picks to get traded and rumors to swirl over who will be the number one pick.

Also, since I really only do one league that I care about, I like to have more time to get attached to my players. And in that league (run through Yahoo), I'm running a separate site for fake league news. I'm using photoshop to change players hats and colors based on the teams they are on for use in the stories.

This was my first attempt at it... I'm sure I'll get better as time progresses.

Obviously playing for the Witty Comments!
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rscharnell » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:26 pm

the only people drafting this early are dynasty leagues where an injury doesnt hurt too much because you're drafting players that you wont start for a few months or years anyways...

In my keeper league, I dont make them turn their keepers until Mid-March and then set a draft date from there.
rscharnell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:33 pm

Well, out dynasty draft is offline so I will make the league as soon as it is done. Also, I enjoy having 1 Public league, its almost always a big joke, and I admit I don't pay too much attention to it aftert he draft cause guys like Glaus, Nevin, McPhereson will be on FA but its still fun for me. The winners' league is mildly competitive as well. And the biggest reason is that I can't wait, I love trading, and preseason trades are the best because of all the speculation and overating/underating of players, when you trade mid-year everyone already knows how much they are worth and what they did this year.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers