Soriano vs Boone at 2B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano vs Boone at 2B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano vs Boone at 2B

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:54 pm

I'll be the first guy to admit I'm a Mariners homer but when I look at all of the mocks out there A. Soriano is a guy that's going either in the first or early second round. Both had down years plus Boone finally gets some help in the lineup this season.

If you compare their #'s they aren't that far off from eachother.

Boone .251 74R 24HR 83RBI 10SB 56BB

Soriano .280 77R 28HR 91RBI 18SB 33BB

Would it be a good idea to pass on a guy like Soriano early and get better value with a guy like Boone a few rounds later?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Soriano vs Boone at 2B

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:56 pm

I don't think so. I think the .30 BA difference is absolutely crucial when comparing the two. Plus Soriano likely won't do much worse than last year, and with Boone you never know what his bottom level of production will be.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby tlef316 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:01 pm

IMO boone was on roids. i know that we are all innocent until proven guilty, but i dont think his rapid increase in production a few years ago was natural. I dont drust boone to produce as an elite fantasy player again. Like i've said in various soriano threads: he had one bad year. He could definetly put up huge numbers again.

He is the number 1 2B this year, and nobody here is going to convince me otherwise until the season starts unfolding.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:18 pm

tlef316 wrote:IMO boone was on roids. i know that we are all innocent until proven guilty, but i dont think his rapid increase in production a few years ago was natural. I dont drust boone to produce as an elite fantasy player again. Like i've said in various soriano threads: he had one bad year. He could definetly put up huge numbers again.

He is the number 1 2B this year, and nobody here is going to convince me otherwise until the season starts unfolding.

I agree with tlef regarding Boon and roids. There is much much better value to be had at 2B than Boone. Give me Chone Figgins or Kaz Matsui 4-8 rounds after Boone is taken.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:34 pm

I think that Sori is gonna rebound in a big way this year, so no you should draft him early.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:36 pm

Well I don't know what kind of league you're in if Figgins is going 4-8 rounds after Boone... but Boone is coming cheap this year and you can't expect him to be as bad as last year. His power, which is what roids affects, wasn't down last year too much. I think if he had hit .295 with 15 SB's, then those 24 HR's wouldn't have seemed so bad. So I don't blame roids for last year's fall from stardom. He was just striking out way too much. I'll take a gamble on him improving his eye and getting that BA back to around .275-.280 and adding on 25 HR, and the team stats, R and RBI, will also almost have to be up from last year given more GP and the addition of Sexson and Beltre. I'm contemplating taking him in the 6th round of a draft right now, so it's not like I'm going to bet the farm on him.

As for Soriano... I think his a mid-late first rounder,so obviously, I think he's much better than Boone.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:41 pm

Boone will likely get picked just above where he'll produce, as the 6th best second basemen behind Soriano, Giles, Kent and Vidro and someone else (a sleeper candidate like Reyes, Utley, Uribe). I think tying up a sleeper with Luis Castillo, Kaz, or Chone is a good strategy for this year.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:07 pm

boone is taken way higher than what his value is, hes overrated because he had a one or a few good years cuz of roids and becuz hes a second baseman

so Soriano is going to blow out Boone in production this year, even if boone is in a better lineup, i would much rather have brian roberts or luis castillo in the 13th round then boone in the 6 or 7th where im seeing him taken a lot
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby chris8 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Soriano is clear #1, but in my 12-team keeper, I drafted Boone in Round 9 (1 round after Figgins!), and I'm quite happy with that!

EDIT: also just took Kaz in round 15, so I have a decent back-up if things do go pear-shaped with Boone.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 107)

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:22 pm

Soriano is defintiely the #1 second baseman out there. Just making the point that there is good value with a guy like Boone five to six rounds later.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers