Steroids Don't Matter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroids Don't Matter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mojowitt » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:40 pm

kingctb27 wrote:
LumberJack5 wrote:Steroids have nothing to do with hitting a baseball. They dont imrpove your sight or your hand-eye cordination. But they jack these guys up soo much that pretty much any contact they make the ball has a very high chance of going out of the ball park. I think that Bonds cheated along with alot of other jacked up home run hitters. I really dont know if the records should be erased due to the fact that there is so much juicing going on it is hard to draw the line between someone one roids and someone not on them. In my mind I really dont take any of Bonds' records as legit. And really try to remember him as that skinny kid in Pittsburgh and his early 40-40 days in SF. As for the person who said something about pitchers being on steroids. Yea right, if steroids could make you throw 100 mph dont you think you would see alot more 100 mph fastballs in the majors? Im sure some bum pitchers have taken steroids just cuz they sucked so bad. But throwing a baseball 100 mph is a gift. Billy Wagner and Randy Johnson are not on steroids, and to say that they are is ridiculus.

I agree Steriods can't help you hit an Olliver Perez Fastball or a Johan Santana Change-up. This is all about Hand-Eye Coordination. But, however Steriods DO MAKE YOU STRONGER AND HIT THE BALL FURTHER no doubt about it.

I disagree with both of you. Steriods does indeed make it easier to hit a fastball--or any pitch for that matter. If we all agree that steriods makes you stronger--by increasing fast and slow twitch muscle mass--than a steriods user can swing a bat more quickly. This allows a batter to bring the bat through the strike zone faster, therefore catching up to fastballs more affectively. Also, because fast -twitch muscles are enhanced, reaction time is sped up. This allows a batter (can you say "Bonds") to wait longer for a pitch, recognize that pitch later (as a cutter, change, etc.) and consequently, swing later and still make good contact (remember, the bat is moving faster in a 'roided players hands). So this contrbutes directly to a player's ability to hit fastballs, but also to recongnize other pitchers and fight them off. This gives the batter more chances of seeing a pitch he can hit into play. Bonds has been heralded for his "batter's eye" and his quick bat, but how much is because 'roids allows him the luxary of waiting on a pitch longer and recognizing it as a strike or not? THIS, and a quicker healing time are the main advantages of roids. Most of the guys taking them would be hitting balls far enough for them to be HRs without roids. They just wouldnt be hitting as many because they would catch up to fewer pitches, get fewer pitches to hit, and foul off many good pitches. Thats my take anyway...
mojowitt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:46 pm

mojowitt wrote:
I disagree with both of you. Steriods does indeed make it easier to hit a fastball--or any pitch for that matter. If we all agree that steriods makes you stronger--by increasing fast and slow twitch muscle mass--than a steriods user can swing a bat more quickly. This allows a batter to bring the bat through the strike zone faster, therefore catching up to fastballs more affectively. Also, because fast -twitch muscles are enhanced, reaction time is sped up. This allows a batter (can you say "Bonds") to wait longer for a pitch, recognize that pitch later (as a cutter, change, etc.) and consequently, swing later and still make good contact (remember, the bat is moving faster in a 'roided players hands). So this contrbutes directly to a player's ability to hit fastballs, but also to recongnize other pitchers and fight them off. This gives the batter more chances of seeing a pitch he can hit into play. Bonds has been heralded for his "batter's eye" and his quick bat, but how much is because 'roids allows him the luxary of waiting on a pitch longer and recognizing it as a strike or not? THIS, and a quicker healing time are the main advantages of roids. Most of the guys taking them would be hitting balls far enough for them to be HRs without roids. They just wouldnt be hitting as many because they would catch up to fewer pitches, get fewer pitches to hit, and foul off many good pitches. Thats my take anyway...

LMFAO :-b :-b :-b :-b
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Re: Steroids Don't Matter

Postby DK » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:00 pm

lesgrant wrote:
Yoda wrote:Well, there is no evidence that Bonds used steroids... but your point is well taken and you are entitled to your own opinion.

There is evidence that Bonds used steroids.

So far, what’s emerged are:

Witnesses – Bonds’ trainer who testified he gave them to him, Bonds’ mistress who said he admitted using them to her, and Bonds himself who said he took them thinking it was (LOL) flax seed oil

Bank records indicating he paid for steroids

Postal records indicating steroids were shipped to his home

All of the above constitute evidence in any legal proceeding, anywhere in the USA.

Very rarely is there one piece of silver-bullet evidence which establishes guilt. To expect such in this case, especially, is so unreasonable that I would say said expectations are merely a smoke screen.

lesgrant, I already saw you write this in the other Bonds thread, and I proved most of what you said wrong. If you'll do me a favor, look at that thread, because I don't feel the urge to prove you wrong about the same thing twice.

Look at the "mistress Bonds" thread for all your debunking myth needs. ;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GeneRex » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:28 pm

J35J wrote:Who's to say that if the Babe wasn't an alcoholic and wasn't drunk during games that he wouldn't have put up the numbers he did. What if alcohol was his "steroid"! ;-D :-D

This is a good point. What about Mantle?
GeneRex
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby eftda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:32 pm

aolt of drugs being poored into his knees ;-D

btw: roids were introduced to the public in 1960... the public :-?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GeneRex » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:36 pm

Again, my point is that if they could all be doing it, don't the records have to be seen as legit?

This is not just about homers. Pitchers that are "enhanced" are getting more strikeouts. They are pitching deeper into games. Closers and middle relievers can come in day after day due to quick recovery. Batters could very well be seeing the best the other team has to offer everyday, instead of every couple of days.

The stats are gonna zero out. That's why I think you have to look at the stats as being every bit as valid as those from years past.

The batters may be snortin' like ponies, but the pitchers are snortin' like rhino's, too. Fire with fire.
GeneRex
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers