Steroids Don't Matter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroids Don't Matter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

steroids dont count?

Postby DannyMyron89 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:06 pm

Wow im not even going to try to talk sense into you, you must be insane. What if you shot Griffey up with roids??? common give me a break
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steroids Don't Matter

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:07 pm

GeneRex wrote:The numbers are numbers. The records are records. They are all valid and they all count.

The hitting numbers are not skewed because of steroids. For every batter on steroids, it's quite possible they are facing a pitcher on steroids, too.

A player's numbers are clearly a matter of his competition and playing era. The number of pitchers that throw high heat has increased. Bat speed and muscle mass have increased. It's all merely fighting fire with fire.

Obviously you're right. It's just one great coincidence that for years and years there would be MAYBE one player to hit 50 HR's in a season, and then all of the sudden 10 guys are doing it every year and several are hitting 60+. Then, the whole steroids thing comes out, and COINCIDENTALLY things return to the way they were where maybe 1 person is hitting 50 HR's per year, and the guys who were hitting 60-70 go back down to their career averages of around 40 COINCIDENTALLY in the same year.

Riiiiiiiight...
Free Bagel
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:17 pm

Who's to say that if the Babe wasn't an alcoholic and wasn't drunk during games that he wouldn't have put up the numbers he did. What if alcohol was his "steroid"! ;-D :-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby bolkonsky » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:52 pm

Yoda, in order to charge someone with a crime, i.e. make an arrest, the applicable standard is "probable cause".

The evidence you question easily satisfies this standard on Earth, Dagobah or anywhere else. 8-o
bolkonsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:58 pm

bolkonsky wrote:Yoda, in order to charge someone with a crime, i.e. make an arrest, the applicable standard is "probable cause".

The evidence you question easily satisfies this standard on Earth, Dagobah or anywhere else. 8-o

Really? So how is it possible that Bonds is not in jail let alone still playing baseball? Explain that to me in English please because appararently I don't have a freaking clue.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bolkonsky » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:19 pm

He is not in prison for many reasons:

1) The DA or US Attorney is not after the individual user...they want the dealer. This is why he was testifying to the Grand Jury to begin with (the government has more interest in BALCO than in the players);

2) In many states, use of steroids (or any other drug) is not a crime...the crime is trafficking or possession;

3) Possession of anabolic steroids is a Class B misdemeanor in Illinois (and probably has a similar standing in most other states)...accordingly, the "upside" of tracking down steroid users (possessors) is very limited;

4) In these particular instances, the players who have testified have been granted immunity from any self incriminating evidence that their testimony may elicit.
bolkonsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Steroids Don't Matter

Postby Zito is God » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:24 pm

WittyC wrote:
GeneRex wrote:The numbers are numbers. The records are records. They are all valid and they all count.

The hitting numbers are not skewed because of steroids. For every batter on steroids, it's quite possible they are facing a pitcher on steroids, too.

A player's numbers are clearly a matter of his competition and playing era. The number of pitchers that throw high heat has increased. Bat speed and muscle mass have increased. It's all merely fighting fire with fire.

You don't have a location listed, but in case you didn't know, here in America steroids are illegal. We're not talking about them just being illegal in the game of baseball, but these fools (Conseco, Bonds, Giambi, etc.) should be in jail.

Umm...here in America, steroids are not illegal. I have no idea what you are talking about, they sell steroids down at GNC down the block from me, $80 for a bottle of the powder. I am a heavy lifter and while I do NOT use steroids I so use other suppements and know a thing or two about them. Steroids ARE LEGAL. Get some info before posting BS buddy...

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:24 pm

bolkonsky wrote:He is not in prison for many reasons:

1) The DA or US Attorney is not after the individual user...they want the dealer. This is why he was testifying to the Grand Jury to begin with (the government has more interest in BALCO than in the players);

2) In many states, use of steroids (or any other drug) is not a crime...the crime is trafficking or possession;

3) Possession of anabolic steroids is a Class B misdemeanor in Illinois (and probably has a similar standing in most other states)...accordingly, the "upside" of tracking down steroid users (possessors) is very limited;

4) In these particular instances, the players who have testified have been granted immunity from any self incriminating evidence that their testimony may elicit.

The fact that they couldn't prove that he used steroids in court has something to do with it. Don't DAs usually love high profile cases? Certainly if they could prove that Bonds used steroids, they would have done something by now. But they can't.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:35 pm

Roids are not totally illegal, I shot MrsAcidRock up w/ them when she was expecting as some of our #s were off. It seemed to work as AcidDaughter has turned out just fine, although she's 6 now and is still pretty big for her age...more into ballet dancing than homers so far although we do engage in BP during the summer!!

I can actually see some need for performance modification in baseball. 162 games is a brutal schedule, even if you get to sit on your butt in the dugout. By September, particularly the way the schedule got scrunched at the end of last year w/ rainout makeup games all over the place, guys are playing 10 days in a row in 3 different towns and that has got to be pretty rough. $10 million a year is nice but there's still limits to what you can play through. Particularly if you are playing for the Expos!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bolkonsky » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:38 pm

Again...his use of steroids may or may not be a crime, but you obviously have your mind made up as to the strength of the case and why the government chose not to pursue it.

My only point was that lesgrant's post included more than enough information, or evidence, if you like, to charge someone with the crime of possession of anabolic steroids. Whether or not they could satisfy the criminal standard (beyond a reasonable doubt) to convict Bonds may be another matter, but that is not the standard to lawfully arrest or "charge" someone.

Just trying to help. ;-D
bolkonsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers