Steroids Don't Matter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroids Don't Matter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steroids Don't Matter

Postby GeneRex » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:48 pm

The numbers are numbers. The records are records. They are all valid and they all count.

The hitting numbers are not skewed because of steroids. For every batter on steroids, it's quite possible they are facing a pitcher on steroids, too.

A player's numbers are clearly a matter of his competition and playing era. The number of pitchers that throw high heat has increased. Bat speed and muscle mass have increased. It's all merely fighting fire with fire.
GeneRex
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 34
Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steroids Don't Matter

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:56 pm

GeneRex wrote:The numbers are numbers. The records are records. They are all valid and they all count.

The hitting numbers are not skewed because of steroids. For every batter on steroids, it's quite possible they are facing a pitcher on steroids, too.

A player's numbers are clearly a matter of his competition and playing era. The number of pitchers that throw high heat has increased. Bat speed and muscle mass have increased. It's all merely fighting fire with fire.


So then why are steroids banned? Why are they illegal? Why do athletes risk their health by taking them? Because chances are, they do increase your performance. That is why.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Steroids Don't Matter

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:59 pm

GeneRex wrote:The numbers are numbers. The records are records. They are all valid and they all count.

The hitting numbers are not skewed because of steroids. For every batter on steroids, it's quite possible they are facing a pitcher on steroids, too.

A player's numbers are clearly a matter of his competition and playing era. The number of pitchers that throw high heat has increased. Bat speed and muscle mass have increased. It's all merely fighting fire with fire.


You don't have a location listed, but in case you didn't know, here in America steroids are illegal. We're not talking about them just being illegal in the game of baseball, but these fools (Conseco, Bonds, Giambi, etc.) should be in jail.

The numbers are skewed. Even if the pitchers are on steroids, too, that's still going to lead to a lot of longballs (a 100 mph fastball hit squarely will have a better chance of going out than an 80 mph fastball).

It's a given that today's players should be bigger, faster and stronger than the athletes of yester-year just because of advances made in health and fitness. However, steroids make it possible for players to demolish these old records with far less skill than those who set them.

Maybe you and millions of others will accept Bonds' home run record, and when he breaks Aaron's all-time record, you might accept that, too. But he cheated -- plain and simple. Not only should his numbers be erased from the books, but he should be banned from Cooperstown and thrown in jail.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1096
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dillon, CO

Postby Rirruto » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:02 pm

dude's just trying to play devil's advocate and start sh*t
Image
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2525
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mezzanine Section 12 @ Shea

Re: Steroids Don't Matter

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:03 pm

WittyC wrote:
GeneRex wrote:The numbers are numbers. The records are records. They are all valid and they all count.

The hitting numbers are not skewed because of steroids. For every batter on steroids, it's quite possible they are facing a pitcher on steroids, too.

A player's numbers are clearly a matter of his competition and playing era. The number of pitchers that throw high heat has increased. Bat speed and muscle mass have increased. It's all merely fighting fire with fire.


You don't have a location listed, but in case you didn't know, here in America steroids are illegal. We're not talking about them just being illegal in the game of baseball, but these fools (Conseco, Bonds, Giambi, etc.) should be in jail.

The numbers are skewed. Even if the pitchers are on steroids, too, that's still going to lead to a lot of longballs (a 100 mph fastball hit squarely will have a better chance of going out than an 80 mph fastball).

It's a given that today's players should be bigger, faster and stronger than the athletes of yester-year just because of advances made in health and fitness. However, steroids make it possible for players to demolish these old records with far less skill than those who set them.

Maybe you and millions of others will accept Bonds' home run record, and when he breaks Aaron's all-time record, you might accept that, too. But he cheated -- plain and simple. Not only should his numbers be erased from the books, but he should be banned from Cooperstown and thrown in jail.


Well, there is no evidence that Bonds used steroids... but your point is well taken and you are entitled to your own opinion.

Important is the fact that steroids help you recover much faster from workouts and injuries. That is a significant advantage right there IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Steroids Don't Matter

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:07 pm

Yoda wrote:Well, there is no evidence that Bonds used steroids... but your point is well taken and you are entitled to your own opinion.

Important is the fact that steroids help you recover much faster from workouts and injuries. That is a significant advantage right there IMO.


He essentially admitted it in his grand-jury testimony. He claimed he didn't know that he was taking steroids, but he was.

Steroids do have great medical purposes for injury recovery. However, taking them regularly for extended periods of time cause serious health concerns.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1096
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dillon, CO

Re: Steroids Don't Matter

Postby DK » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:09 pm

WittyC wrote:
Yoda wrote:Well, there is no evidence that Bonds used steroids... but your point is well taken and you are entitled to your own opinion.

Important is the fact that steroids help you recover much faster from workouts and injuries. That is a significant advantage right there IMO.


He essentially admitted it in his grand-jury testimony. He claimed he didn't know that he was taking steroids, but he was.

Steroids do have great medical purposes for injury recovery. However, taking them regularly for extended periods of time cause serious health concerns.


..........ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:24 pm

What about speed? That's apparently quite popular w/ baseballers too. Maybe they get prescriptions ("as part of Mr. Colon's weight loss regimen...") but apparently these are problems...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby lesgrant » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:29 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:What about speed? That's apparently quite popular w/ baseballers too. Maybe they get prescriptions ("as part of Mr. Colon's weight loss regimen...") but apparently these are problems...


Speed and other amphetamines are NOT performance enhancing drugs. They just make you think your performance has been increased.
Image
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 705
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:29 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:What about speed? That's apparently quite popular w/ baseballers too. Maybe they get prescriptions ("as part of Mr. Colon's weight loss regimen...") but apparently these are problems...


Yup, and I'm not sure that it's covered in the testing, either. Plus, HGH (human growth hormones) can only be tested through blood tests, so needless to say the use of this among unskilled players will increase exponentially.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1096
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dillon, CO

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 3
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(1:45 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(3:10 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact