5X5, 6X6, 7X7....What is the best for a 12 man H2H??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5X5, 6X6, 7X7....What is the best for a 12 man H2H???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:38 pm

delux_247 wrote:Most importantly I want a fair league. If you guys think that adding cats like BB, K, CG, and SHO makes it less competitve I will give them the boot.

delux - it really should depend on the makeup of your league. If you add those cats they do bring in a greater degree of luck into play. If you have 4-5 guys in your league who are much more knowledgable about fantasy baseball, it might be a good idea to add those cats in order to get the 5-6 other people more involved since they have a greater chance to do better because of the greater luck factor. If your league is competitive top to bottom - duke it out in the standard 5x5 - may the best man win. Hope that helps.

As for the guy in your league who wants standard 5x5 - is he one of the more active/knowledgable people in your league? More than likely he knows that switching to a standard 5x5 format will help the owners like him more.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby foulballstrike3 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:02 pm

Cornbread, I didn't mean to confuse him, I meant head to head, total points. There is head to head 5X5, so I wanted to clarify that way. I personally do both, and the more intuitive owners seem to do better in the points head to head in which I run. Delux, I just don't think Ks are that important of a category. True, if a player Ks, he cannot advance a runner, but it is still not that important to make a category out of it. An out is an out. Like I said, if you wanna include walks, just change your AVG category to an OBP or an OPS (which includes slugging %). You can add that as your 6th cat as well. You can probably do a K/BB ratio as well. You're just not allowing skill to take the front seat in your league if you use too many categories.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:19 pm

If the H2H scoring is category-based like Yahoo's free service, then you gotta ditch CG and SHO. They just don't occur enought on a weekly basis to make a difference. You'll be looking at a boatload of ties at both those categories. Plus I can't imagine losing a big game on one CG. Some of the best fantasy pitchers (like Pedro) may see one or two CG's all season if they're lucky. Unless you got SP's that have dopey managers that disregard pitch counts, its not gonna be a stat that helps you.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:20 pm

Call me old-fashioned but I'll stick with the traditional 5x5 scoring system.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:28 pm

Call me a traitionalist, but 5x5 is the standard for a reason. I have played other formats with OBP replacing avg in 5x5 and OPS and Holds for 6x6, but frankly the extra categories are drivvel IMO and I always oppose a move off from 5x5 Roto.

6x6...OPS increases the value of sluggers...and you have to deal with holds which frankly is such a waste of time. I am drafting a league now with it and have to debate the values of Ray King vs Steve Kline. Does this really rock your boat? Anyone get a thrill out of digging out a good holds guy in the draft? The hitting balance is sweked...the pitching becomes a bit silly. And the more categories added the sillier the whole thing becomes and the more blind luck comes into play.

And when you factor in the considerable luck factor already inherent in the H2h fromat....?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:59 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Call me a traitionalist, but 5x5 is the standard for a reason. I have played other formats with OBP replacing avg in 5x5 and OPS and Holds for 6x6, but frankly the extra categories are drivvel IMO and I always oppose a move off from 5x5 Roto.

6x6...OPS increases the value of sluggers...and you have to deal with holds which frankly is such a waste of time. I am drafting a league now with it and have to debate the values of Ray King vs Steve Kline. Does this really rock your boat? Anyone get a thrill out of digging out a good holds guy in the draft? The hitting balance is sweked...the pitching becomes a bit silly. And the more categories added the sillier the whole thing becomes and the more blind luck comes into play.

And when you factor in the considerable luck factor already inherent in the H2h fromat....?

Unless I have a high quality MR I typically punt holds. We just had a major retooling session in a money league I do (H2H on Yahoo Plus). We have 6x6 scoring with OPS and Losses as the two extra categories. We also replaced K with K/9IP. I fought to have K/9IP and Losses included because we have a couple of clowns that like to do the whole add/drop waiver churning trick with SP. Since the commish refuses to impose any transaction or IP limits this was the best I get implemented to offset any sort of benefit they would get from waiver churning.

Another change that I vehemently opposed but was outnumbered was that instead of each category counting as a W/L/T in your standings, you get 1 win or 1 loss depending on how you do. So if you finish the first week with a score of 5-7, your record is 0-1 instead of 5-7. I see this getting changed back. I can't see managers liking this format better.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers