Hudson or Wood - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hudson or Wood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:18 am

Amazinz wrote:Hudson for me.

I have trouble believing Wood will beat Hudson in WHIP. Wood walks too many people to do that. I see Hudson beating Wood in every category except Ks by a fair margin. You're still going to get 160-180 Ks out of Hudson and he could be a 20-game winner this year. Those Ws are tough to come by.

Wood's WHIP the past 3 years:
02: 1.24
03: 1.19
04: 1.27

And Hudson's:
02: 1.25
03: 1.08
04: 1.26

Aside from 03, which I maintain was a lucky year for Hudson in terms of hits allowed, the two are pretty even in WHIP. Wood does walk a lot of batters, but all those Ks keep the ball out of play and it evens out a bit.

And Hudson only had 4.9 K / 9 IP last year, which is a cause for some concern. While that number should rebound, it's no given.

Then of course for me there's always an enormous upside factor with Wood. His stuff is as good as there is, and he's still got the potential to put it all together and be a top 5 guy.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:27 am

Hudson by a blowout
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:14 am

Spartans Rule wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Hudson for me.

I have trouble believing Wood will beat Hudson in WHIP. Wood walks too many people to do that. I see Hudson beating Wood in every category except Ks by a fair margin. You're still going to get 160-180 Ks out of Hudson and he could be a 20-game winner this year. Those Ws are tough to come by.

Wood's WHIP the past 3 years:
02: 1.24
03: 1.19
04: 1.27

And Hudson's:
02: 1.25
03: 1.08
04: 1.26

Aside from 03, which I maintain was a lucky year for Hudson in terms of hits allowed, the two are pretty even in WHIP. Wood does walk a lot of batters, but all those Ks keep the ball out of play and it evens out a bit.

And Hudson only had 4.9 K / 9 IP last year, which is a cause for some concern. While that number should rebound, it's no given.

Then of course for me there's always an enormous upside factor with Wood. His stuff is as good as there is, and he's still got the potential to put it all together and be a top 5 guy.

While I agree with a lot of what you are saying but... Hudson is the better pitcher right now. He may not be as overpowering but there is a reason why his ERA was under 3 for couple of seasons. I really think that A's pitchers had screwed up mechanics in 04 and Mazzone will straighten him out. I like Wood but until he lives up to the promise, I can't keep giving him a free pass.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:21 am

Wood
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby GSes » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:25 am

Hudson and its not even close.

Wood will pile up well over 200 K's but Hudson will beat him in every other category. Lets face it yes Kerry Wood is VERY talented but he walks way to many guys and he has never won many games in 1 season.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:09 am

I would sport Wood.

Atlanta's BP isn't that much better than Chicago's if you think about it. Dan Kolb is hardly a proven closer (one good year), and who's setting him up? Kevin Gryboski? Chris Reitsma? You can't tell me they're better than La Troy and Remlinger.

Peter Gammons picked Kerry Wood to win the Cy Young last year, and if he hadn't gotten injured, I guarantee he would have gotten some votes.

They will both finish pretty close to each other, but I would rather bank on Wood's K's than gamble on Hudson's wins.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:12 am

Wood. He may double Hudsons K total. Hudson is starting to look like Zito did a few years ago. His K rate has dropped alot. I think Hudson is the Cafes most overrated sp.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:13 am

Another great prediction from Gammons, the Boston Schill. Wood has never won more than 14 games and is 67-50 lifetime. Take Hudson. I really do not think it is even close. The only thing Wood has over Hudson is Ks.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WittyC » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:19 am

Yeah, but that's a lot of K's. Career totals for K/IP...

Wood -- 1.16
Hudson -- 0.725
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:37 am

I think that Huddy is a little bit overrated, as he doesn't totally blow Wood out of the water in ratios and BAA. However, he is easily the better of the two pitchers, and hasn't suffered double digit losses in a long while (or ever?). You gotta love Huddy in Atlanta.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers