If Yahoo! goes pay, the world may indeed end. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If Yahoo! goes pay, the world may indeed end.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If Yahoo! goes pay, the world may indeed end.

Postby Tribe-Fan » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:09 pm

Ok, the title is a little dramatic, but please, all this Yahoo! hand-ringing is getting crazy.

Ok, so what if they go pay? What are they going to charge, $1000? No, more likely it would be something along the lines of $29.95 or even $49.95 for 5 teams/leagues. This is 6 month season, so even at 50 bones you are talking 8 bucks a month, or 2 bucks a week. And that is with just 1 team. A package would probably include more.

With as much enjoyment as the people here at the cafe get from fantasy ball, is 2 bucks a week too much to pay? Forgive me for being the one yelling out the emperor has no clothes, but there is a word for people that wrap their wallets in lead and hold tight with their last dying bit of strength to every penny they have. But being the classy individual I am I will not utter that word.

Sorry fellas, but I bet there are a ton of people on here that think just like I do on this issue. It has moved passed comical to downright pathetic.

TF
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:11 pm

I'd pay if they ever added keeper leagues.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Drdobs » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:15 pm

I agree with the original post..

People who are crying about not getting their "FREE" Fantasy Baseball have to give it a rest. What else do you expect to get for free in life???
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kentx12 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:18 pm

I dont think it is the fact that people are upset that they might have to pay but it is the way it is being done. I still believe Yahoo will have it's free leagues and I still believe it will be open sometime in the next few days but there are still alot of questions to be answered.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby loosechange75 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:19 pm

Drdobs wrote:I agree with the original post..

People who are crying about not getting their "FREE" Fantasy Baseball have to give it a rest. What else do you expect to get for free in life???

Fantasy basketball and football

just answering ur question
loosechange75
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Garry26 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:21 pm

1- AOL started their own fantasy baseball site this year and its free. Also, they offer the popular auction format that yahoo doesnt offer.

2- I wouldnt mind paying a one time $10-15 fee for 1 team or a $30-$40 fee for multiple teams. There are advantages to this.

A) It helps prevent jerks from drafting 30+ teams and then abandoning them.

B) Since theyre paying $$ it might improve the quality of play

C) Maybe we will get a prize. Like a FREE winners league team next year for league winners.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 84)

Postby titanut » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:35 pm

My guess, is that if Yahoo does anything, is they will make paying
for Stattracker mandatory-- cost $9.95 for up to 4 teams. My
thought is that it's like the ante in a poker game--maybe it would
cut out the plajyers whose teams are destined to be "dead teams",
if so, I am all for a nominal charge.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:42 pm

Not all of us have credit cards, and if its pay, they are going to cut down on exposure and amount of people playing. It would be a bad move by Yahoo and MLB.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:04 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Not all of us have credit cards, and if its pay, they are going to cut down on exposure and amount of people playing. It would be a bad move by Yahoo and MLB.

I think it would be a bad move also. I like fantasy sports, but I don't think you should have to pay to play since the sites make money every time you go to their fantasy pages through banners. Making people spend even more to start might get irritating.

I can't speak for baseball, but I'll bet that 60 - 70% of fantasy football players are "casual" - meaning they are not insane number-crunching players that crave new methods of playing the game like we all are here. Now, a lot of these people have huge pots of money for the champions of the leagues, but people might not spend more money just to have the game hosted on a simple site like Yahoo. A lot of people play on the better boards like myfantasyleague.com and pay the extra money in order to set up crazy drafts with FA's, keepers, etc. That is their choice to have a more intricate game. But, I'll bet the "casual" player wants to stick to a more basic game like the one on Yahoo.

OK, back to baseball. I'll still bet a good number of people are "casual" players that just want to play a simple 5x5 game. They have their prize pools and all that, but hosting everything on a free Yahoo site is good enough for them. Forcing more of a charge on these "casual" players just might turn them off.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:07 pm

Yeah, even though I would be more "hardcore" than most, even I prefer classic 5x5 Roto (6x6 is fine too) to most formats. Though I did my first auction this year and it was a lot of fun. If Yahoo would add a good auction format they would just tear up the competition.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers