XM ON MLB - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

XM ON MLB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:44 pm

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:If you are ever going to buy the boombox, please speak with me first. :-o

Is that the little XM stereo I'm seeing in stores. :-? Under $100 in price? What's wrong with it? I've actually considered picking one up, so please let me know what's wrong with it, so I don't waste my money. :-)

Is this the 1??:

http://www.myradiostore.us/skyfi-boombo ... 10001.html

I have 1 and actually like it a lot. That said, there have been some complaints. They all seem to center on a small buzzing sound that a lot of people hear from it. When I say small, it really is small but a lot of people seem to have dog ears. From my research, it really only seems to be prevalent when the volume is really low. Usually, I really have to listen for it to notice it. For me, it doesn't matter a bit but, for you, it might be an issue. I really don't know the reason for this. I would assume either poor craftmanship or it is easy to be interfered with. For the $$, I actually like the sound of it. It won't shatter windows but you can either get a separate cable or a home kit to connect it to a home stereo.

I will say that, for most people, you want to place any satellite radio receiver away from 2.4 GHz phones and microwaves. I never had a problem but some have.

Mad.......I didn't want to scare you. I just wanted to alert you to this.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:05 pm

Hmm......That one doesn't look like what I saw and I couldn't find the one I saw on that site. :-? Odd. :-?

Also, they all seem to mention "docking stations". Does that mean the receivers are portable? The one I saw was just like a normal boombox, but had XM on it. 1 solid piece of construction. :-?

Guess I should take a better look at the one I saw when I see it again. :-?

Thanks for the info though! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:24 pm

Madison wrote:Hmm......That one doesn't look like what I saw and I couldn't find the one I saw on that site. :-? Odd. :-?

Also, they all seem to mention "docking stations". Does that mean the receivers are portable? The one I saw was just like a normal boombox, but had XM on it. 1 solid piece of construction. :-?

Guess I should take a better look at the one I saw when I see it again. :-?

Thanks for the info though! ;-D

If it was for under $100, I will assume that was the 1. I will also assume that by docking station, they are referring to the different kits out there. To explain this, let me give you the options. Assuming that you have a SkyFi (or SkyFi2 if you want to bump up the price), you have 3 ways to listen to it:

1. Through the boombox

This is the setup that I have. I like it a lot. There is also a cable that you can get to connect to your headphone/line-out jack that will enable you to connect the boombox to a stereo. This is useful if you want to connect it to a higher quality stereo yet still have the portability of a boombox.

2. Through a home kit

This is in the mail. :-) It allows for better sound than connecting the boombox to your stereo. Instead of having the larger boombox there and connecting from the headphone jack, you actually have a "stand" that docks the unit and allows for power and the RCA cable to go from the dock and into the outlet and aux input on your stereo.

3. Through a car kit

This is another dock for the unit and allows you to listen through your car stereo. There are many different car install techniques that you can use but a nice feature is a built-in wireless FM modulator (for the SkyFi2). If you don't know what that is, basically, all that you need is power to the unit and tune it to 1 of the unused radio stations on your stereo and you will get XM. It doesn't sound as good as if you hardwired it but it is still very good and you can't beat the convenience.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:37 pm

I'm quietly rooting for XM to dominate the market over Sirius.. for one reason: Howard Stern. I don't like the guy, and while I'm aware this is very an immature attitude to take, I want his move to Sirius to fail miserably. I realize he gets paid a sick amount of money regardless of how well Sirius does, but that's the way I feel.

I'm not yet ready to leap into Sat. Radio, but when I eventually get there, I'll look toward XM.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:40 pm

Pacman wrote:I'm quietly rooting for XM to dominate the market over Sirius.. for one reason: Howard Stern. I don't like the guy, and while I'm aware this is very an immature attitude to take, I want his move to Sirius to fail miserably. I realize he gets paid a sick amount of money regardless of how well Sirius does, but that's the way I feel.

I'm not yet ready to leap into Sat. Radio, but when I eventually get there, I'll look toward XM.
bring up a good point that is rarely ever discussed.......Everyone talks about how many more subs Sirius got since they announced that Stern was going there but it also works the other way. I know of a lot of people that don't like him and went to XM for that same reason.

Personally, I like but don't love Stern. I can do without him. Plus, I have enough trouble waking up by 10 A.M. for that to matter. I also think that the lack of censorship on satellite radio will wear off on that stuff.
Lofunzo

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:35 pm

Lo.....thanks for the info you have been giving... ;-D

I still think you saw a box of these fall off the back of a truck... :-b
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:49 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:Lo.....thanks for the info you have been giving... ;-D

I still think you saw a box of these fall off the back of a truck... :-b

I wish that I saw that truck. :-°

Just trying to pay it forward. I usually research these things completely and just want others to be able to make an educated decision as well. ;-D
Lofunzo

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:35 pm

Bump for others to see.
Lofunzo

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:59 pm

My gf just got a new car with XM installed. Will I be able to listen to all Sox games now? Honestly???? ;-D ;-D ;-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:06 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:My gf just got a new car with XM installed. Will I be able to listen to all Sox games now? Honestly???? ;-D ;-D ;-D

Yes, sir. ;-D Yankee games, too. :-D But it's gonna cost you quite a bit when you keep her car and then you have to buy her a new 1. :-b

The only thing is that you won't hear it on the Sox station all of the time. Geographics and home field determine that, I think.
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk