Aubrey Huff - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aubrey Huff

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Aubrey Huff

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:54 am

Last year most people had him going in the 4th or 5th rds of the drafts, then he tanked for 2 1/2 months but rebounded nicely and finished really strong. My question is , does he move up in the draft this year because of the finish last year and the assumption that Crawford has a monster year, my thought is 3rd rd might be too late. right or wrong??? :-?
If there is baseball in heaven!!!! Be very aware of the starting lineup
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:02 am

Huff's career splits are:

First Half - .286/.349/.829
Second Half - .327/.378/.944

I love those second-half numbers, but the fact is that two-thirds of fantasy baseball happens in the first half of the real season for most leagues. I would let Huff go and hope a newb picks him up. Maybe you can get him in a trade around late May or June before he starts to do his thing.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:41 am

JTWood wrote:but the fact is that two-thirds of fantasy baseball happens in the first half of the real season for most leagues.

You've got to explain that to me. Not sure that I get your gist.

In H2H it's more important to have your guys producing at the end of the season when the fantasy playoffs are taking place. Nothing buns me more than toasting a league all season only to lose in the playoffs to a guy who gets a few hot starts and Calvin Pickering play like an all-star for a week.

Back to the question Huff is going to be very studly IMO and multi-position eligibility 1B/3B/OF makes him even more valuable. 3rd is still pretty early for him. I would say, depending on scoring etc. late third/early 4th/mid $20s bid and a little earlier and a little more expensive in keepers.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby JTWood » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:43 am

My point, Mook, is that you cannot even make the playoffs if your 3rd-round pick is producing at 10th-round levels for two-thirds of the regular season. I understand that you want the late-season studs to help you clean up during the playoffs, but your first priority has to be getting to the playoffs, and to that end, Huff's history shows that he does more harm than good.

ps - I was about to make a comment regarding the "cromulance" of a word like crapulence. Then, to my great surprise, I saw that the word is indeed a legit piece of American grammar.

Nice find with the crapulence! Can I borrow it someday?

:-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:02 am

JTWood wrote:My point, Mook, is that you cannot even make the playoffs if your 3rd-round pick is producing at 10th-round levels for two-thirds of the regular season. I understand that you want the late-season studs to help you clean up during the playoffs, but your first priority has to be getting to the playoffs, and to that end, Huff's history shows that he does more harm than good.

I have to disagree with you. Two thirds of the season is not in the first half of the season.

In H2H half of the season is in the first 20 weeks of the season the other half of the season is the 3 or 4 weeks of playoffs.

In roto the first 3 months is jockeying for position and the real game is in trading for the guys you need to make the real push.

In either format Huff is a very valuable commodity (either on your team or as trade bait) at crunch time).

JTWood wrote:ps - I was about to make a comment regarding the "cromulance" of a word like crapulence. Then, to my great surprise, I saw that the word is indeed a legit piece of American grammar.

Nice find with the crapulence! Can I borrow it someday?

:-)

Sure you can borrow it - I borrowed it from Monty Burns :-D

You've got me with cromulance though - sounds bad.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:42 am

You can look at it however you want to. But the facts are that there are 14 weeks before the All-Star break. If you're in a 19 or 20-week league (mine's 19), then 14 weeks is at least 70% of your season. That is an unacceptable amount of time to have a player playing below his capabilities. Especially, if you're planning on using a 3rd-round pick on him.

With that said, I will freely admit that Huff had a tremendous first half in 2003. If he does go in the 3rd round, I hope he is able to duplicate 2003. Otherwise, he's a bad pick in the third round.

As for cromulence (my spelling was incorrect), I cannot believe that we are both making Simpsons references that neither of us have heard of. Burns said crapulence, huh?

Cromulence - From Lisa the Iconoclast
KRABAPPEL: "Embiggen? I'd never heard that word before I moved to springfield."

HOOVER: "I can't see why not. it's a perfectly cromulent word."

They made up a word to describe a word that they also made up. It's genious. In fact, cromulent has attained a definition in some ranks.

answers.com wrote:Cromulent is a word used by the schoolteacher, Miss Hoover, in an episode of The Simpsons, in which she defended one made-up word by making up another: "It's a perfectly cromulent word." Since it is used in an ironical sense to mean legitimate, in reality, it is spurious and not at all legitimate. The user assumes common knowledge of the inherent "Simpsons" reference. It has come to be used with tongue in cheek, or with the intent to insult high talkers, English majors and otherwise insufferable people who feel the need to correct others.

:-D ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:48 am

That's pretty crazy. I missed a Simpsons reference? That unpossible.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby bsmelly » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:00 pm

I see Huff doing about the same this year as last year - The D-Rays just don't have a great supporting cast around him and I don't think he's going to see a lot of good pitches. Besides Carl Crawford and potentially BJ Upton, who else in that lineup is an above average hitter? Baldelli should miss half the season as well.

Huff is a guy I'll target as a buy low candidate in early June.
bsmelly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:09 pm

Sorry,, should have mentioned, im thinking in the lines of 5x5 roto, yahoo leagues
If there is baseball in heaven!!!! Be very aware of the starting lineup
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:14 pm

i traded for huff in may last year and never looked back.

guys who start slow are good targets for mid-year trades.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers