OBP vs. AVG. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OBP vs. AVG.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OBP vs. AVG.

Postby normkent » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:13 am

Hi guys I have started a 6 by 6 league and we are using not only batting average but on base percentage...some owners say they are too similar and whoever leads in one category will lead in the other and I was wondering who had experience in that and what you think...also for those in six by six leagues if you had ba, hr, sb, rbi, rs, what would you add as a sixth category if not obp??
thanks in advance for your input
The Daybreaker
normkent
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ed Whitson » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:41 am

My league uses a 7x6 with OBP and Total Bases being the additional two offensive categories (save percentage is the sixth pitching category). Having OBP is great adding an entirely new dimension to draft strategy, much more real to life IMO. Bonds becomes as dominant a figure as he is for the Giants. You have to look at not only who could help, but also who won't hurt your team. For example, Soriano would be a late first or early second rounder in a 5x5 league, but with OBP, you really have to consider if he actually hurts you team with that .320 OBP. I highly recommend it.
Ed Whitson
College Coach
College Coach

Just Wondering

Postby normkent » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:50 am

If there are players obps listed in some of the fantasy baseball mags.........would be helpful in drafting..............for example i did not know about soriano but then guys like helton, damon, bonds, i think become gold using obp
The Daybreaker
normkent
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ed Whitson » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:58 am

Sporting News lists OBP. Yes, Helton, Bonds, Rolen, Abreu become even more valuable in OBP leagues. Drafting Bonds puts you at such an advantage over your competition it's scary.
Ed Whitson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Garry26 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:40 am

OBP has its advantages over BA, but BA is preferable.

The main advantage of OBP is that walks count towards obp. While they dont count towards BA. So if you have Bonds in your team you want OBP. The problem with OBP is that all you have to do is get Bonds and 2-3 other great hitters and youre guaranteed to win it. Thats why BA is fairer.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:26 pm

Well than that would mean Bonds' price is THAT much higher. It doesn't make it less fair, just because Bonds is the best player. Is it fair that Beltran will be the #1 player because of the 50 SB's he'll get? Of course not, so it doesn't mean you shouldn't count SB's ;-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bsmelly » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:38 pm

Doesn't make much sense to use both BA and OBP I'd consider using BA and then just walks instead or OBP and slugging percentage.
bsmelly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tavish » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:02 pm

bsmelly wrote:Doesn't make much sense to use both BA and OBP I'd consider using BA and then just walks instead or OBP and slugging percentage.

Probably the best way to go would be one of those methods. I tend to lean more towards OBP and SLG but I am a big fan of ratio categories overall anyways.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:28 pm

Keep it standard 5x5. Forget all of that Saber crap.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Hbj79 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:31 am

I've been in a league that has used obp for years. We all love the cat. as it makes people who are valuable in real life valuable in roto.

A good pitching cat. to add is holds if you want to use MR's.

My league uses a 6x5(1.2). Which means that we use Avg,OBP,hr,rbi,runs,sb's and then multiply the pitching cat. by 1.2. This work amazingly well.

Also if using OBP be sure to look at guys like Drew and Mora.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers