So hows this team gonna do this year??? (Ill help you!!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

So hows this team gonna do this year??? (Ill help you!!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So hows this team gonna do this year??? (Ill help you!!)

Postby AlexF6262 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:00 pm

Alright well me and 11 other friends just did an offline draft yesterday. We only finished 17 rounds and plan to finish the rest soon. Any comments or advice for the rest of the draft is much apprciated!

(1st pick overall, snake style draft)
H2H, 5x5

C- J. Varitek
1B- A. Pujols
2B- T. Womack
3B- M. Lowell
SS- R. Furcal
OF- J. Pierre
OF- A. Jones
OF- J. Guillen
Ult- G. Jenkins
Ben- M. Gurrisom

SP- R. Oswalt
SP- M. Mulder
SP- W. Miller
RP- B. Wagner
RP- D. Kolb
P- U. Urbina
P- (not drafted yet)
P- (not drafted yet)

Please help, leave a link n ill help you! ;-D
Last edited by AlexF6262 on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexF6262
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xach » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:27 pm

In H2H leagues health and consistency are two huge mitigating factors.

Jones, Jenkins, Miller and Wagner all concern me in this respect. Jones, in my experience, is quite streaky. And Jenkins, even when having a terrific season, is your prototypical streak hitter. He ctaches fire for 2 weeks and then goes stone cold. Wagner is an injury concern and it's not clear where Wade Miller fits into the Boston situation, but if he comes in as the no. 5 starter you'll be hurting for consistent appearances from him as well.

So while I like the current talent level of this team and the numbers may be there by season's end, I think you'll have a difficult time putting together consistent wins in a 12 team league. I think more likely you will have some weeks where you crush your com[petition, but that you will be .50 or so at best.

I'd look to either a) trade hot names and hot players for consistent producers or b) I would target hot starters and then trade them for 2nd half starters. Injury and lineup question marks are real killers for an H2H league.

Anyway, it's difficult without knowing who else has been drafted, but i would expect this team to be behind pace in power categories, but far better than average in the other hitting cats. I'd also seriously consider drafting the best SP still available with your next pick and with all those generic P slots you'll probably want to grab whatever high K, low WHIP/ERA relievers are out there, whether they close or not -- unles syou have a shallow bench, in which case taht strategy is less of an option.
Changing minds one stubborn, idiotic argument at a time.
xach
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kljsoccer18 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:40 pm

for twelve teams it's not as bad as that other guy is saying, although your starting pitchers could definitely use some help, and your power among hitters could use a little boost or you will be struggling in the power department every week, your closers are pretty good but draft for some more consistency overall in the following rounds
kljsoccer18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby xach » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:37 pm

Just because I gave an in depth analysis doesn't mean I think the team is horrible. I think it has potential to be quite good. But since draft rating is all about looking at what you can count on at the outset, I definitely see the team could be ctrengthened in these sorts of ways. That's all I'm saying.

And if you look at what kljsoccer18 said, he agrees (minus the "it's not as bad"):
kljsoccer18 wrote:although your starting pitchers could definitely use some help, and your power among hitters could use a little boost or you will be struggling in the power department every week, your closers are pretty good but draft for some more consistency overall in the following rounds

Anyway, the team ain't all bad. True. But since you asked for critique, thopse are the trouble spots I see.
xach
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:07 pm

I think you have a good variety, and are off to a good start..Your gonna need another good SP, because Wade Miller might be on the DL to start the season..
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AlexF6262 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:25 pm

I just drafted Glavine in the 18th round, and Nixon in the 17th any feelings?

Pujols, Sheff, Carpenter, Delgado... all the way to the top!
AlexF6262
College Coach
College Coach

Postby xach » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:28 am

Nixon seems like a pretyty decent choice on account of his consistency and his potential to put up better than average numbers in a given week when he's hot in that lineup. Dep[ending on who else was available that seems like a pretty sensible pick.

Glavine has the ability, but I think he's another question mark in a lot of ways. This looks like a high risk/high reward team to me. Vould be quite strong, but I'd look to cut down on the question marks going forward even if you have to lower the ceiling a little.
xach
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AlexF6262 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:29 am

xach wrote: but I'd look to cut down on the question marks going forward even if you have to lower the ceiling a little.

Any idea on who I should look for then?? Im probably gonna look for a pitcher so I was curious who you thought

Pujols, Sheff, Carpenter, Delgado... all the way to the top!
AlexF6262
College Coach
College Coach

Postby xach » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:36 pm

I don't know who's available to you. It may be too late in the draft at this point to wrap up a sure thing (?).
One nice thing about H2H leagues is that you can always grab the hot hand for a two start week, waive him and grab someone else. It's kinda cheap, but since you know so far in advance when pitchers are pitching it usually works.

If you can't tell the good bets from the bad nets in pitching, just stick to getting the bats you need.

Some decent bets if the sure things are all gone:

Halladay, Pineiro, Williams, Derek Lowe, Horacio Ramirez, Brad Penny
xach
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

nixon

Postby ryanstaloff » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:02 pm

i think trot nixon is the best value pick in all of fantasy baseball this year... i got him in like the late teens rounds in both my drafts.. every1 seems to forget wat he did b4 last year where he was hurt and only no that he made fun of arod.
ryanstaloff
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team