Am I in for another dreadful year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Am I in for another dreadful year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I in for another dreadful year?

Postby AI8818 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:48 pm

I am in a 12 team, standard 5*5, H2H fantasy baseball league. The other 11 guys are some of my friends and we did an offline draft yesterday. We only got to finish 16 rounds of it, and will get to the rest sometime soon. Here's what my roster looks like so far...

-Please give me some advice on how it looks so far...and
-What should I look for in the rest of the draft?

C Ivan Rodriguez
1B David Ortiz
2B Jeff Kent
SS Nomar Garciaparra
3B Adrian Beltre
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Richard Hidalgo
OF Luis Gonzalez
Util Troy Glaus
BN Ken Griffey Jr.

SP Barry Zito
SP C.C. Sabathia
SP Brandon Webb
RP Eddie Guardado
RP Keith Foulke
P Bob Wickman
P (not drafted yet)
P (not drafted yet)
Last edited by AI8818 on Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AI8818
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:58 pm

I would grab some of the top-shelf MRs who normally get overlooked in H2H. They could be invaluable during the season helping to cushion the ratios of that rotation. Unless of course there are still some very good starters out there.

You're team looks pretty good. The offense looks great. Some might question the OF but I like the upside of Gonzo and Hidalgo. You should be competitive in both Ks and Ws. You might struggle with ERA and WHIP.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AI8818 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:05 pm

Alright thankyou, anyone else?
AI8818
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby xach » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:54 pm

I agree that you nee dto focus on pitching. However, I disagree with Amazinz, as I don't see where the wins are coming from in this rotation.

In fact, I think Wins may be this team's greatest hole. No one on the roster won more than 11 games. Webb pitches for Arizona, where he gets no run suppport whatsoever. Even Randy Johnson couldn't win games there. Sabathia has never won 18 games in his career and hasn't surpassed 13 wins in any of the last three seasons. Even Zito is now two years removed from a decent wins total.

The idea of getting a bunch of hot MR's to bring you to the promised land is only good if you have several very strong options for both wins and saves, of which I see neither. I do, however, see a lot of talented players. I would look at maybe trading some talent for some wins. Meaning: Since Sabathia, Zito and Webb have great arms, they may be attractive to someone else. If there are highly productive MR's available this may indeed be a good direction to head as Amazinz suggests.

Also, as far as your UTIL slot is concerned, I'd target another player for insurance there behind Griggey and Glaus. H2H is all about targeting the steadiest, most reliable production on a week to week basis and those guys are unreliable in that regard.

Good luck.
Changing minds one stubborn, idiotic argument at a time.
xach
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:07 pm

The Wins aren't that big of a deal in H2H. If you can build a rotation that's competitive in 4 of the categories you'll be in good shape. That rotation is good enough to give you a shot at Wins on a weekly basis although you may not win it often.

At this point in the draft I doubt you can get a substantial number of Wins without destroying your ratios.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby xach » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:49 pm

Well that may be true, but earlier you said you already thought he would struggle with his ratios:

Amazinz wrote:You should be competitive in both Ks and Ws. You might struggle with ERA and WHIP.

So I'm not convinced. How would he do well in 4 categories without any wins and with mediocre WHIP, ERA and Save totals?

I stand by my original point.
xach
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby catcher-03 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:57 pm

I would try to try to solidify your outfield, maybe by trading Nomar, and or Troy Glaus. And you can't depend on Jr. ever. So, you can start looking in those places.
catcher-03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:57 pm

xach wrote:Well that may be true, but earlier you said you already thought he would struggle with his ratios:

Amazinz wrote:You should be competitive in both Ks and Ws. You might struggle with ERA and WHIP.

Right. Which is why I suggested MRs. The rotation has problems, no doubt. But at this point in the draft it will be much easier and cheaper to tackle ERA/WHIP than it would W. You can also boost the ratios without hurting your current standing in Ws but you can't do it the other way around.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby xach » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:27 pm

Amazinz wrote:Right. Which is why I suggested MRs. The rotation has problems, no doubt. But at this point in the draft it will be much easier and cheaper to tackle ERA/WHIP than it would W. You can also boost the ratios without hurting your current standing in Ws but you can't do it the other way around.

I agree with this 100%. Seems we both agree that MR's would be a great way to go, assuming there hasn't been a run on them. My point was moreso about how to manage the more difficult task of getting wins/consistency out of his current rotation on top of just the MR idea. I would try to assemble this team as though Zito, Sabathia and Webb are all potential trade bait. Get the MR's you need and invest in mid range guys who should get some wins. Joel Pineiro, for example, would be a terrific option for this team and should be easily attainable for Sabathia or around that price range. Cash in on these three pitchers all of whom have far greater name recognition than they have in actual use for H2H roto. Since their perceived values are higher than their actual values, I think this is one place you can turn to really jump start this team after the draft.
xach
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team