AL Breakouts List - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Breakouts List

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AL Breakouts List

Postby orange12 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:50 pm

Ok so in preparation for my one a year AL only team, I've put together a list of players who made fantasy impacts for the first time last year. These guys have been around for 4-5 years but only became fantasy regulars last year due to breakout seasons. What are your guys predictions for the following players:

Casey Blake
Coco Crisp
Kevin Mench
Aaron Rowand
Travis Hafner
Ben Broussard
Eric Byrnes

Who of these, if any, are you high on this year? Who will see full time action, who will not?
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HollywoodHershiserz » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Hafner: Solid pick, unfortunately only a DH in most draft leagues, will be a perennial .290/30/100 guy.

Rowand: Wants to go 30/30 this year...lofty goal. I'll give him 25/25 with 100+ runs. Don't expect close to the same average...could end up a bust.

Mench: Possible steroid guy. Should be good for 30 homeruns.

Crisp: Part of an up-and-coming Tribe offense. Should get close to Rowand's numbers, but with less homeruns and more steals, try 20/30.

Broussard: Full-time 1st basemen is an afterthought with so many options at that position, but can go 25/80 this year with ease.

Blake: Wow, another Cleveland guy. Another 25/80 guy if he plays full-time.

Byrnes: More the same of last year if he stays with the A's. An all-out guy, lots of hustle, plays with his heart, could burnout.
JD Drew: 2006 NL MVP
HollywoodHershiserz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bsmelly » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:09 pm

Casey Blake - his age (31) bothers me. Plus the change in position will be too much stress on him - I'm guessing a decline for Blake in 2005.

Coco Crisp - I think he has great skills and could be a great lead off type.

Kevin Mench - He seems to be very streaky, which could be the fact that he's never really been given a regular starting role. I still see him as the fill-in 4th outfielder type.

Aaron Rowand - I'm convinced he has the stills to continue to improve and grow next year. I like the fact that he put up solid numbers last year when Ordonez and Thomas were hurt.

Travis Hafner - I like the BA but the power numbers are very inconsistent - almost too streaky for a head to head league. I think he will continue to progress and have a solid 2005.

Ben Broussard - Not a fan, mostly because he cannot seem to stay heathly.

Eric Byrnes - Byrnes is solid in most categories but never seems to have the starting job soley to himself. Even this year, trade rumors surround him. He makes a good #3 or #4 outfielder on a fantasy team. I don't see him increasing his numbers this year, but he should stay consistent with last years levels.
bsmelly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:21 pm

bsmelly wrote:
Travis Hafner - I like the BA but the power numbers are very inconsistent - almost too streaky for a head to head league. I think he will continue to progress and have a solid 2005.

B

What power hitter that you know of is NOT streaky? Hafner is the real deal. He should hit close to 40 this season. The ONLY thing that stands in the way is an injury.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:12 pm

Guys I like best to equal or top last year:
Hafner
Byrnes
Crisp

Guys I don't like to take a step up, and maybe slip:
Mench
Blake
Rowand

Ultimate risk/reward of the bunch:
Broussard
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers