Top rookies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top rookies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top rookies

Postby Danimal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:23 am

Rookies and newcomers, such as Iguchi. A nice list would be great.
Also, I really struggle with the cafe's search mode. Any suggestions?
as always ... thanks!
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Danimal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:29 am

I'm sure somebody has that magical list...bump!
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:34 am

Iguchi, D McPherson, J Reed are the top ones for this year.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LumberJack5 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:44 am

Rookies to watch:

Chris Burke (2B - HOU) - Should take over starting job now that Kent is gone. Would bat leadoff and could steal 20-30 bases along with a .300+ average. And score 80+ runs. Not alot of power so only expect 5-10 HRs.

Dallas McPherson (3B - LAA) - Im sure you've heard about him. Best power prospect in a while. Hit .317 with 41 HRs last year between AA and AAA. Came up late in the season and hit 3 HRs in 40 ABs with the Angels. He projects to hit 40 HRs a year, but I would say expect around 25 this year. Strikes out too much still.

JJ Hardy (SS - MIL) Will begin the season as the starting SS for MIL. Missed most of last season with a shoulder injury. Should be fully healed by Spring Training. He is very good defensively and is improving quite well on the offensive side of the ball. He could reach 15 HR's and 65 RBI's this season. He is only 22, so he has plenty of time to develop.
LumberJack5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PhillyFan1 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:56 am

Dallas McPherson, I believe he will do big production
"I am, who I become; therefore success is not a destination, but rather a never ending journey."
PhillyFan1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Danimal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:57 am

Any rookie pitchers to keep an eye on?
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:09 pm

Fantasy worthy (possibly)
AL Rookies:
Dan Meyer
joe blanton
Nick Swisher
Iguchi
Jeremy Reed
D. Mcpherson
Grady Sizemore
Adrian Gonzalez
Russ Adams
Jason Bartlett
jonny gomes
joey gathright

NL Rookies:
Chris Burke
Clint Barmes
JD Closser
Garret Atkins
Edwin Jackson
JJ Hardy
Rickie Weeks (probably not at start of season)
Jose Capellan
Ben Hendrickson
David Krynzel

I am having trouble remebering anyone else... and i did cheat and look at everyone elses, there are a lot of rookie shortstops , but everywhere else there are few rookies with starting guarantees.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby LumberJack5 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:13 pm

Gavin Floyd (SP - PHI) - Was 2-0 with a 3.49 ERA in 4 starts late last season. Struck out 24 in 28.1 IP. A WHIP of 1.45 so still figuring out control. He might start the season at AAA so I wouldnt expect too much. Probly wouldnt even draft him unless you are in a very deep keeper league. But this guys has a ton of talent. Age:22

Cole Hammels (SP - PHI) - Hasnt debuted yet but is said to be just as good if not better than Floyd. Philly doesnt really have room in its rotation for all these prospects. So injurys will have to happen for Cole to get his shot. But when he does look for him to prefrom at a high level. Age:22

Jeff Francis (SP - COL) - 3-2 in 7 starts last year. 5.15 ERA, thank Coors field for that number. Struck out 32 in 36.2 IP while only walking 13. Finished strong posting a 3-0 record in September with a 2.30 ERA. Will start season in rotation, but Coors field really hurts this young ace. Age:24

Danny Haren (SP - OAK) - Not really a rookie, but will have a spot in the rotation in Oakland and should produce. He had a 2.76 ERA after the allstar break last year. Not as much talent as the guys listed above him. But should be a decent sleeper SP. Age:24

Jose Capellan (SP - MIL) - Has nasty stuff, can hit 100 MPH on the gun. Was Braves top pitching prospect. Should make the roatation out of spring training and will be a good source of Ks. A future ace so keep an eye on him. Age:24

Other young SPs to watch:
Scott Kazmir
Jeremy Bonderman
Cliff Lee
John Patterson
Noah Lowry
David Bush
LumberJack5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Danimal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:21 pm

Those last few posts were great.
How do you guys rate the rookie class. Sure it's full of potential, but it doesn't sound like too many of these guys will really step up into the soon-to-be elite status like Miguel Cabrera a year ago. Thoughts?
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LumberJack5 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:33 pm

This rookie class is solid. McPherson and Kazmir are probly the top 2 guys out of it. Kazmir compares favorably to a left-handed version of Roy Oswalt. You mentioned Miguel Cabrera, he is the definition of "Phenom". He hit .400 all through the minors and when he debuted everyone knew he would be great and that it was just a matter of time. Same with Prior. This rookie class doesnt really have "Cant-Miss" guys like that. McPherson, Kazmir, Sizemore and a few others are probly the closest. So only time will tell how good this class is. But top to bottom this class has alot of talent.
LumberJack5
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers