10 pitchers better then Felix - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

10 pitchers better then Felix

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby io » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:25 am

Zito is God wrote:
io wrote:
Petit - he has as good as stuff as anyone in the minors. you don't need a mid-90's heater to be good in the majors

Either you're joking or have not read the scouting report on Petit. The guy has average stuff...its his DELIVERY that gets him the stats, his delivery is decieving as he hides the ball until the lasts second. Hittwers will get used to it and then hes done. I remmember when Nomo's delivery was dominating...

which scouting report? i disagree with alot of prospect reports because they don't take anyone seriously who can't throw over 93 .. and they underrate a pitcher's ability to throw strikes

from what i've read, its not the delivery, but the movement on his pitches... its good enough to set him apart.. i've seen him pitch and he doesn't do anything quirky like a japanese pitcher.. maybe his arm motion does something to hide the ball, but i couldn't tell.. (if he has a career like Nomo's, i'd take it in a hearbeat)
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10 pitchers better then Felix

Postby messenjah » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:03 pm

io wrote:dammit, ok real quick

hybrid wrote:Ok well this should be fun...

Jeff Francis - pitches for the Rockies, are you serious?

better pitcher, not luckier pitcher.. put francis and felix on the same team

Adam Miller - Um huh? He is below Felix in the minors & Felix's stuff is better.

better stuff? prove it

Yusmeiro Petit - a year and a half older then Felix and hasn't done anything in AA.

his stats through A-ball are clearly better.. he outpitched Felix for 98% of the season. thats all i know

Jose Capellan - Ok you really have to be kidding with this one, the only thing he can throw is a fastball and I'm not even making it up.

your not making it up.. its the best fastball in the minors or majors... and your joking about it. you cant overlook him..if he develops his stuff, he is one scary s o b...

Scott Kazmir - About time this got harder. Well since you seem to dislike walk rates, why is he even on here?

because success at the major league level is safer then success at A-ball

Zack Duke - Only 3 years older, he knows how to pitch better know cause well.. he is 3 years older. But when your K rate dips that much in Double A and your not young for it, watch out. He's nice but nothing special.

you worry too much about age... alot can change in 2 years. pitchers change - they get hurt, they gain weight, they improve, they lose velocity, ect .. i'll take Duke at 21 over Felix at 18 anyday, its not really a big deal ... if Duke was 25 you would have a case

Jairo Garcia - RP need not apply

so your gonna draft Bartolo Colon over Eric Gagne this year? what are you saying? also, alot of pitching prospects are known to become relievers.. RP's belong in this conversation

Joe Blanton - Nothing personal cause I think he will be a nice SP, but could he be more hittable in AAA at 23? Only thing that saved him was that he doesn't walk many.

yea thats why i think he's good enough... low walk rate. if he pitches like he did in AAA, he'll be successful for Oakland this year

Scott Baker - Once again a 23 year old, see if he was any type of SP at all, he is supposed to do that to A/AA. Look how he struggled at AAA though, I bet Felix puts up better numbers then that this year in AAA at 19.

all i know is that Baker's AA stats BLOW AWAY Felix's AA stats.... what Felix does in AAA remains to be seen... let him succeed first before you proclaim the next roger clemens... and your harping on the age thing again... 23 is still a young enough age to improve and develop as much as any 18 year old..

Zack Grienke - Well Greinke isn't a prospect any more, though he would give the best arguement since he was also very young.

ahhhh

Cole Hamels - injuries?

well... he's the better pitcher if he can stay healthy. hitters fear him as much as anyone

Jeff Niemann - yet t throw a pitch in the minors?

fine.. i'll give you him. but thats about it. i totally agree that Felix has amazing potential, but you havent really proven how he's better then any of the others. all you told us was that he's 18 a bunch of times

The fact about age is that yes, although they could both change and Felix could become fat or lose velocity or something, chances are he won't, and he still has 7 years arguably in the minors of learning how to be a pitcher. A person at 23 should be making the majors in at least 2 years, and that only gives him a small window of opportunity to improve upon the knowledge of the game before he's thrust onto the Major League field. Arguably, Felix has 7. Could Felix get injured and screw himself up, never even make the majors. Yeah, but the way it's going, it ain't gonna happen, and he's gonna be amazing.
messenjah
College Coach
College Coach

Postby io » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:08 am

nevermind, i feel like an ass... :-/ he'll probly get called up this year and do good
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BB1017 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:33 pm

this is a great debate... now when is too early to draft one of these guys .. I'm up in the 17th round 5x5 16 teams keeper, what do you think?

Francis --
Felix --
BB1017
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball