10 pitchers better then Felix - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

10 pitchers better then Felix

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

10 pitchers better then Felix

Postby io » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:41 am

Jeff Francis
Adam Miller
Yusmeiro Petit
Jose Capellan
Scott Kazmir
Zack Duke
Jairo Garcia
Joe Blanton
Scott Baker
Zack Grienke
Cole Hamels
Jeff Niemann

:-* bring it on :-L
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jaybud » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:12 am

How do you figure? I'm not saying you're right or wrong but under what argument/basis are you saying those listed are better than Felix?
jaybud
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby io » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:04 pm

well im sort of being a wise-ass because i think Felix is great.. but at the same time he's being hyped to the friggin moon, and its sort of getting annoying. i think all of these guys are as good and at least half of them are better picks... i'll try to explain...

1. Felix has never pitched a AAA game. most of these guys with the exception of Miller, Petit, and Niemann have all had AAA experience and they all look like they'll be promising in the bigs. AA and AAA are important .. everybody acts like Felix has dominated at higher levels, but the truth is - he's barely even been there yet

2. i'm a stat-head. Felix's numbers in AA are good but not god-like... 3.30 era in 10 games with a high walk rate. go look at Scott Baker's AA numbers in the same amount of games and tell me who was better

3. Baseball America has tricked me in the past.. i remember when they started the Felix craze last year. they are big on "stuff" and potential, but they constantly overlook BB's .. if your walking too many batters, chances are your gonna get squashed in the big leagues..(you can walk batters in A-ball and get away with it, but in the Mlb they'll make you pay) .. so guys like Zack Duke remain underrated... i think Felix will be ok with BB's, but a guy like Duke looks better because he's shown a true ability to control the strike zone, put the ball in play, and basically control the whole game.. to me, it makes him more special then Felix and his secret slider
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:05 pm

I've always wondered if Felix could end up being another Randy Johnson. He was absolutely dominating but with very little control until he matured. Randy was obviously more wild, sure, but also more had a more dominating makeup...
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: 10 pitchers better then Felix

Postby hybrid » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:06 pm

Ok well this should be fun...

Jeff Francis - pitches for the Rockies, are you serious?
Adam Miller - Um huh? He is below Felix in the minors & Felix's stuff is better.
Yusmeiro Petit - a year and a half older then Felix and hasn't done anything in AA.
Jose Capellan - Ok you really have to be kidding with this one, the only thing he can throw is a fastball and I'm not even making it up.
Scott Kazmir - About time this got harder. Well since you seem to dislike walk rates, why is he even on here?
Zack Duke - Only 3 years older, he knows how to pitch better know cause well.. he is 3 years older. But when your K rate dips that much in Double A and your not young for it, watch out. He's nice but nothing special.
Jairo Garcia - RP need not apply
Joe Blanton - Nothing personal cause I think he will be a nice SP, but could he be more hittable in AAA at 23? Only thing that saved him was that he doesn't walk many.
Scott Baker - Once again a 23 year old, see if he was any type of SP at all, he is supposed to do that to A/AA. Look how he struggled at AAA though, I bet Felix puts up better numbers then that this year in AAA at 19.
Zack Grienke - Well Greinke isn't a prospect any more, though he would give the best arguement since he was also very young.
Cole Hamels - injuries?
Jeff Niemann - yet t throw a pitch in the minors?

I could go into more depth but that was fun and breif. Honestly how do you expect to compare pitchers 3 or 4 years older then Felix when they are just at the same level or one higher. He is the phenom he is, cause he is amazingly young for his age and has put up great stats. Of course SP's from college can come in and pitch well in A/AA at 21/22/23, but they are supposed to if they are any type of decent SP.

BTW how does Felix remind you of Randy? Felix walk rate at 18 for A & AA was 2.5 and 3.3. Randy's best walk rate ever in the minors, where he pitched more then just 3 starts, was 7.1. Keep in mind he was 23 then in A ball. Felix has far superior control then Randy ever did in the minors.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:21 pm

One more thing about Felix, is the way he adjusts to leagues (A/AA). For an 18 year old that just has to get you more excited about him. He doesn't start out great and then get worse as hitter adjust, he goes out there and learns what to do to dominate. Here is a blurb from WTNY, a prospect blog....

"What impressed me most this season was King Felix’s (as coined by U.S.S. Mariner) ability to adjust to a level. In his first nine California League starts, Felix had a 3.59 ERA, 48 hits in 47.2 innings with 53 strikeouts, 14 walks, and five home runs allowed. In his last seven: 1.61 ERA, 37 hits in 50.1 innings, 61 strikeouts, twelve walks and zero homers. This works for the Texas League too, his first four AA starts: 4.79 ERA, 21 hits in 20.2 innings, nineteen strikeouts, nine walks and three home runs. And in his last six, Felix had a 2.45 ERA, allowing just 26 hits in 36.2 innings with thirty-nine strikeouts, twelve walks and zero home runs. That, my friends, is impressive."

http://www.all-baseball.com/nextyear/
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:28 pm

alright you ready, ill give ya 20 pitchers better than him

Randy Johnson
Johan Santana
Curt Schilling
Roy Oswalt
Jason Schmidt
Carlos Zambrano
Ben Sheets
Pedro Martinez
Mark Prior
Oliver Perez
Jake Peavy
Tim Hudson
Mark Mulder
Kerry Wood
Roger Clemens
Eric Gagne
Mariano Rivera
Joe Nathan
Francisco Rodriguez
Billy Wagner

you never said minor leaguers you just said pitchers in general :-D
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby hybrid » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:38 pm

haha nice one rico, see if I really wanted to be a wise ass ... I'd say he is better then the last couple RP's ... :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Zito is God » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:44 pm

I'm assuming you just wanted to start up a discussion cause no one in their right mind thinks most of those guys are close to Felix. greinke might be, but hes already an ace in the majors! Everyone else is miles away.

I admit I am higher on Capellan then most, but I bet you saw that triple digit fastball on the gun and came running. :-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:51 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:alright you ready, ill give ya 20 pitchers better than him

Randy Johnson
Johan Santana
Curt Schilling
Roy Oswalt
Jason Schmidt
Carlos Zambrano
Ben Sheets
Pedro Martinez
Mark Prior
Oliver Perez
Jake Peavy
Tim Hudson
Mark Mulder
Kerry Wood
Roger Clemens
Eric Gagne
Mariano Rivera
Joe Nathan
Francisco Rodriguez
Billy Wagner

you never said minor leaguers you just said pitchers in general :-D

you so read my mind rico........

as far as minors though...felix is the top pitching prospect but i like cain, miller and danks as well......just not quite as good as i like felix though,,,,,,,,but saying that young is still my first pick in a minors draft if i had one starting today......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball