Trading future considerations in keeper leagues ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trading future considerations in keeper leagues ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading future considerations in keeper leagues ...

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:45 am

As some of you know, I run a league with somewhat unique keeper rules. We use what is called a contract year system. Part of this system allows team to keep anywhere from 0-14 players (give or take). The details of the leagure are beside the point, but I include this for full disclosure. Ultimately my question applies to any keeper league.

My question has to do with allowing trades that involve future considerations. Someone in my league wants to make a trade that involves trading a 2005 10th round pick, a 2010 10th round pick and a 2020 10th round pick. Leaving aside the logistics, what do people think of trades like this? Trades that involve returns that are far off in the future? Has anybody had to deal with trades like this in their leagues? What do you do?

I'm not necessarily opposed to this kind of trade, but I'm a little confused and would like to hear what others have to say. Any thoughts?
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quietstorm » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:07 am

I think you may want to set a sort of limit on it; there's no guarantee about leagues lasting a certain amount of time, and while the owner should realize that before making trades, safeguards should be set up, anyway.

Also of import, I think, is the possibility that somebody knows they'll be leaving the league in X years, and trades draft picks from X+1 years from now. They essentially lose nothing.

I dunno... I don't like trading future picks, even one or two years. If you want to pick some arbitrary point, just to provide for easier tracking of draft picks, etc., something like 3-5 years should suffice, I'd suppose.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:08 am

Who wants to keep track of trades that far in advance? I'd say trades can only be made with current players or picks. At most, maybe picks for the next season. But 2020? That guy can't be serious. They don't even do that in real life.

Other than just insignificance, I'd also say that trading future considerations opens the door to teams backloading trades/contracts/obligations, and leaving the league before they have to feel those effects.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:19 am

I had a similar initial reaction about logistics. Who the heck wants to keep track of this, and how the hell is it going to work? However, I think I figured out a pretty easy way to keep track of it. Every season I make a draft worksheet for the following season. People sometimes trade draft picks near the end of a season, and I like to keep track of that. I can just put notes in people's columns regarding future considerations.

Still a pain in the ass, but manageable.

I do share your other concerns too. A 10th round 2020 pick is, in my opinion, worthless today.

I have some other thoughts too, but would like to hear what others have to say first.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quietstorm » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:33 am

How much money is involved in the league? If it's significant at all, you'll wait to avoid long-term trades, or people will dump all their future draft picks for a few years of glory, then ditch the league with cash in the pocket and having experienced no loss. (And what happens to the draft pick, then? Does the new team in the league inheret the team of the guy who left? Do extra draft picks just get insterted in the years involved?)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:42 am

quietstorm wrote:How much money is involved in the league? If it's significant at all, you'll wait to avoid long-term trades, or people will dump all their future draft picks for a few years of glory, then ditch the league with cash in the pocket and having experienced no loss. (And what happens to the draft pick, then? Does the new team in the league inheret the team of the guy who left? Do extra draft picks just get insterted in the years involved?)

It's not a money league. We're all friends and play for pride. I'm not worried about people ditching on the league, as we're a committed bunch.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Trading future considerations in keeper leagues ...

Postby sockeye » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:50 am

ramble2 wrote:Someone in my league wants to make a trade that involves trading a 2005 10th round pick, a 2010 10th round pick and a 2020 10th round pick. Leaving aside the logistics, what do people think of trades like this? Trades that involve returns that are far off in the future? Has anybody had to deal with trades like this in their leagues? What do you do?

Allowing this trade would be your second major mistake. The first, of course, was letting Steve Phillips and Kevin Malone join your league in the first place.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:00 am

I hear Dan Evins and Paul Depodesta are knocking on the door tryin gto get in also!
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nikku88 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:21 am

I could agree with next year, maybe the following year, but 2020? If you accecpt that, it will lead to more stuff like that and will lead to chaos.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Trading future considerations in keeper leagues ...

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:32 am

sockeye wrote:
ramble2 wrote:Someone in my league wants to make a trade that involves trading a 2005 10th round pick, a 2010 10th round pick and a 2020 10th round pick. Leaving aside the logistics, what do people think of trades like this? Trades that involve returns that are far off in the future? Has anybody had to deal with trades like this in their leagues? What do you do?

Allowing this trade would be your second major mistake. The first, of course, was letting Steve Phillips and Kevin Malone join your league in the first place.

lol ...

I tend to agree ..
the way I see it is, its nice you all are friends, but there is no guarantee that the league will be around for 20 years. I would put a limit on future considerations like that, limit it to next season only. It would be hell to try and get a new owner to take over a team and tell him, "um you don't have picks 82 and 96 in year 2006 and picks 1 and 2 in every 'odd' year till a Bush is not president."
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1154)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers