Hows it look - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Hows it look

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hows it look

Postby loosechange75 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:01 am

I just finished the first 16 rounds of my 12 people head to head 5X5 stat catorgory league and I would like to know what you guys think I will probaly pick izturiz to fill in at SS and Milwood to fill in that last pitching spot

C Mike Piazza
1B Paul Konerko
2B Marcus Giles
SS (not drafted yet)
3B Corey Koskie
OF Barry Bonds
OF Carl Crawford
OF Garrett Anderson
Util Sammy Sosa
BN Lance Berkman

SP Kerry Wood
SP Kelvim Escobar
SP Brad Radke
RP Brad Lidge
RP Chad Cordero
P Latroy Hawkins
P Ted Lilly
P (not drafted yet)
loosechange75
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jeff926 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:52 am

i would to try to get some better pitching...
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby firstclassfastball » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:55 pm

It doesnt look too bad, but the fact that you finished 16 rounds without picking up a SS definatly has to put you in a bad position.
firstclassfastball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby xach » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:22 pm

Well, it's hard to rate a team's draft without seeing the draft order, but taken out of context as it is, my impression is that this team will hurt for power numbers.

Giles, Bonds and Crawford are all terrific players to have and I assume they represent 3 of your first 4 picks, but beyond them I think this team lacks the impact it needs in several categories.

For example: Crawford should theoretically ensure a top 5 finish in SB, but Giles is your only other steals threat to this point. With OF support of Bonds, Anderson, Sosa, Berkman (IL until Mid May at least), you need to pickup additional SB from your infield. But beyond Giles (who if you're very lucky may swipe 20-25 bags) you have Konerko, Piazza and Coskie, of whom only Coskie is likely to be of any service if at all.

The way I see it, numbers wise, this team struggles to get 100 SB, and that's slating Crawford in for 60-70 and Giles in for 20. For some context, in my 12 team roto league last year, 95 steals netted 3 points in that category. 102 steals got 7 points. Point being, after spending an early pick on Carl Crawford, to come up with 90-100 steals is indicative of a balance issue, as you spent big on a steals threat and still failed to separate yourself from the pack in that category. Meanwhile in order to succeed in teh power categories, you're counting on Konerko to maintain his caeer best numbers from last year as well as relying on big comeback seasons from Piazza (clearly on the decline), Anderson and Sosa. I see how these picks have value, but from looking at your pitching staff I'm guessing you grabbed these guys a little too high. They're big name players, but counting on three comeback seasons doesn't give you much wiggle room and will hurt you when trying to negotiate trades early in the season -- especially if any of these guys get off to slow starts.

In short, I see this as a seventh place team with potential to do more. I'd look to move Piazza and Anderson to someone who's high on their superstar reputations and I'd target players who likely underachieved last season. Vernon Wells would be a nice target for this team as he is likely to get some modest steals to go with his power numbers. Coskie is a disappointment as well with the depth at 3B. An affordable option might be Aubrey Huff if he qualifies in your league at 3B.

You might also look to trade Lidge and/or Cordero. Those two guys carry high price tags and you might be able to sufficiently revamp your entire lineup while downgrading to, say, Afeldt and Kolb. Since you have generic P slots, you can get your saves from multiple sources. This actually diminishes the need for a top closer. So you should play Lidge up as the next Gagne and target a true impact 5 tool OF or a top 5 3B.

Just one person's advice, but I guess you wouldn't have posted here if you didn't want it. Good luck.
Changing minds one stubborn, idiotic argument at a time.
xach
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:05 pm

Clint Barmes gone already?
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby loosechange75 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:46 pm

he is not gone but i would like to hear more about this guy
loosechange75
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:27 pm

Barmes is a rookie worth taking a flier on but if Izturis is available I'd draft him. That's pretty good upside that late in the draft.

The offense looks pretty good to me. I don't see the SBs as an issue because it's a H2H league and Crawford alone gives you a shot to win that category every weak.

That's a boom or bust rotation you've got there. Hopefully it works out. If not maybe you'll have the flexibility to pull of a trade when Berkman returns.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team