Jeremy Affeldt... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeremy Affeldt...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeremy Affeldt...

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:43 am

Will Jeremy Affeldt rebound in his second year as the closer? He has really good stuff,and if he could gain a little control, who knows... What are your thoughts on him, being a value closer pick?

Or would Ryan Dempster be a better risk?

Thanks for your valued opinions ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:49 am

I think Affeldt would be a better choice than Dempster, sure, but I don't think he'll be a good choice. Maybe 25 saves with an era in the high 3's. But he won't strike anyone out, he won't get any vulture wins, and he won't help you out very much unless you've got a lot of pitching spots.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:56 am

I think it is in KC's best interest to insert Affeldt back in rotation. If he can stay healthy he could post impressive numbers, lots of K's. They have MacDougal who has done the job before, and has the makeup, just needs to find his control again. For some reason I don't see the Cubs staying still on Dempster and not making a move on a proven closer. It really is one of the key elements missing in Chitown.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:46 am

affeldt or dempster :-o

both are not very good choices, but if i had to go with one it's gotta be affeldt. it's tough to use affeldt and safe is the same sentece, but he's safer than dempster. i don't think macdougal will be an issue.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

Postby Sunspot » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:02 am

There is also a rumor going around about the Cubs possibly working out a deal for Kim from the Red Sox. Kim was a stud closer not long ago.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:45 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I think Affeldt would be a better choice than Dempster, sure, but I don't think he'll be a good choice. Maybe 25 saves with an era in the high 3's. But he won't strike anyone out, he won't get any vulture wins, and he won't help you out very much unless you've got a lot of pitching spots.

I like AA's projections here. Nothing spectacular, but I do expect him to stay healthy over most of the season and at least settle in to his role as closer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby PhillyFan1 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:02 pm

Affeldt believe is the choice, his stuff is electric, he just plays on a crappy team.
"I am, who I become; therefore success is not a destination, but rather a never ending journey."
PhillyFan1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MightyIan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:11 pm

if there were anybody else out there that is going to be closing, id go for them before both of these cats. i think demp will fail at closing, and affeldt may be good at it eventually, but he plays on arguably the worst team in the league. the only team's closer id would pick him over would be whoever emerges as colorados closer. not only is it the worst place to pitch, but its a whole lotta unproven and/or bad players lobbying for the position.
MightyIan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:11 pm

i would definitely go with affeldt. i think he is a better pitcher and the safer bet. dempster technically doesnt have the job yet, let alone much security supposing he did win the job.

affeldt will probably be a mediocre closer, but i think he has the potential to be decent.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:01 pm

MightyIan wrote:if there were anybody else out there that is going to be closing, id go for them before both of these cats. i think demp will fail at closing, and affeldt may be good at it eventually, but he plays on arguably the worst team in the league. the only team's closer id would pick him over would be whoever emerges as colorados closer. not only is it the worst place to pitch, but its a whole lotta unproven and/or bad players lobbying for the position.

Obviously if there was anyone else I would have grabbed him..Were talking about a filler for one of my 10 pitchers spots... in the 21st round.. Tsao is the only other option that has a chance at closing (Coors field 8-o No thank you!) besides, Dempster....The job IS Affeldt's for now at least...

Thanks for all your opinions...I ended up getting Affeldt, and like his chances to not stink it up, and get around 25 saves.. again..Thank you very much ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers