Do i help a brotha out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do i help a brotha out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kidnemisis » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:42 am

Oh hell no. Mess with your rankings enough to they look dumb, and he knows that you have some definite "yahoo" rankings with like rowand way too high or something(unless you're targeting him lol) and then give it to him so he knows they're wrong.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:27 am

Give them to him, but change the stats and rankings.
I suggest Batista at number 1. ;-D
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:39 am

nikku88 wrote:Give them to him, but change the stats and rankings.
I suggest Batista at number 1. ;-D

that's the problem...if you are gonna share your spreadsheet, but tweak it so many times that the other guy doesn't know who you will be targeting, it will end up giving you a lot of work.

i'd say sorry and would not share, especially cuz it's a money league. when is the draft anyway? tomorrow? next week? he prolly still has time to make his rankings again. he's done it once, he can do it twice in half the time.

where's the evil emoticon when we need it...

}:-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:46 am

I guess it depends on the kind of friendship you have. Since you guys have played together, if he has ever trash talked you in the slightest, do not help him. But if it's the kind where you both give each other support, advice and ideas, then I would consider giving him your cheat sheet.

If it was my friend however, I would laugh my ass off and tell him "sh*t happens. I would like my money in cash please."
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:40 am

I would just kick his @SS! ;-D
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Do i help a brotha out?

Postby The Jury » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:58 pm

stoner420 wrote:ok dilemma: Im in a pretty competative fbb league and everyone is preparing more and more this year. There are about 4 of us who are really putting alot of effort into prep for this years draft. One of my friends has already done an excel spreadsheet with his projected stats including ppg for all of the mlb players. I have done this as well. Heres the issue... he had saved his to a disk which broke... and now he doesnt have any of his cheat sheets. hours and hours of work waisted. After this happened he asked me if he could have my spreadsheet claiming that he would obviously make major changes...but it would save him time. So if u were me would u be selfish and not give the friend my sheet.... or be a good friend and give it to him. Its a pay league(50) so the money actually matters and i would say that he is one of 4 guys who has a shot of beating me this year. what do i do?

Yeah, it's a buddies league - I'd help him out. Just make sure to keep a little something up your sleeve come draft day :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:52 pm

If his computer miraculously recovers after you've given him your goodies, would he then share his w/ you, to even up the research effort? Projections are fine and all of that but looking at somebody else's well thought out sheet is a BIG advantage, particularly if you have YOUR own well thought out sheet to compare it to and balance out the fluctuations.

I'd say, 'gosh, sorry to hear about it but I'm not sharing. You can borrow my magazine'.

On a related note, I spent last night watching Sex & the City w/ MrsAcidRock and putting fake notes in my mags so, if somebody borrows it, which I kind of anticipate at the draft as we've got a couple of people who STILL refuse to do ANY research, they can spend all night trying to guess what my notes mean but they don't actually mean anything!! heh heh heh... }:-)
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:12 pm

Spartans Rule wrote:No way do you give it to him.

1. There are lots of other fantasy resources besides you that he can mooch off of.

2. If he sees your rankings, that's a major unfair advantage. It's one thing to try and get him back on a level playing field but its another to give him an edge.

3. A lot of the value of doing a spreadsheet is the research that goes in to it. If my projections got wiped out tomorrow, I would still have a pretty good idea of who I want to draft and when. If he put in that much effort, he's not screwed.

i concur.

here is a question: if he has to make 'major changes' to the rankings you give him, whats the point in giving him your rankings anyway. he will need to make 'major changes' to projections from some publication.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Fool42 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:39 pm

I would tell him he can have a spreadsheet of all the names and 2004 stats so that he can save some time but if he wants PPG projections tough crap. You don't have t say it that way but thats how I feel about it. First he could be lying about creating his own when he is really just too lazy. Second he could be lying about his disk breaking (who keeps this stuff only in 1 place?) so that he can compare your ranking with his. I'd offer to help him out but only within reason. If he doesn't like it then too bad. What makes me most suspisious is that he only wants help if you give hime the PPG. To me that screams of not doing you're own DD and trying to mooch off of someone else. Also take into consideration that I don't know the guy or what kind of person he may be.
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dmville » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:46 pm

If it is your only competitive league I'd say no way. Show him nothing.

If you are in a few leagues, I would give him some limited info, on your terms, not his and, maybe have some fun with the rankings, or charge him for it, say $25. You doing the work, he gets 1/2 the benefit, he should pay 1/2 your entry.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers