O.K. Everybody . . . - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

O.K. Everybody . . .

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:21 am

BGbootha wrote:wow, an 11x11.

Well you can pretty much just forget about a couple of the cats, E and FPCT. But yeah draft the best available. The 3B cat kinda plays an interesting role, where there are a couple of guys who can pick them up more often than anyone else.

But Honestly I don't know if I would recommend an 11x11 league to anyone!

I agree that many catagories will drive a guy crazy especially a beginner

Just go with the best available for the first seven rounds or so and then try to fill holes
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 470)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby looptid » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:54 am

Triples eh? Take Carl Crawford if he falls to you in the second round. He had 19 last season.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bluedevil » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:14 am

glad to see that you found the best thing since nintendo! i wish you luck
back in 2003 when i was a rook i lost because i did not know how my scoring system worked. i you can, join another league (being in 2 wont kill you) and get in a 5 by 5 league or just a yahoo public. you will learn faster. no one needs errors as a cat. it will be hard to win your first year but it is possible. watch a lot of BB2nite and learn as many people as you can this year so you can really compete your 2nd. i won in my second year as i figured everything out. if you can master this it is really one of the most fun hobbies you can have! ;-D
good luck
you have come to the right place
its cool, we beat UNC!
bluedevil
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kidnemisis » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:09 am

If you really want to enjoy yourself dont do the 11 x 11. I did a league when i started that had alot of dumb categories like that and it sucked. Start off with traditional 5 x 5, join some public leagues and do your best. Try to get rankings from a couple places because yahoo's are generally weak. Focus on what the player you draft brings to your team and what he doesn't so that you can balance it out later. If possible try to get an idea of the different tiers. For example, if you search the cafe and other good sites, you might get an idea that about 10-15 starters are top starters so you might want to make sure you get one, or that theres only 6 SS worth having on your team, so you try to get one. Baseball has more detail than fantasy football but its definitely worth it, and if you're down you can make changes and the long season gives you a chance to come back in the standings. Good luck, have fun.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:22 am

Good luck starting the addiction known as fantasy baseball...
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby looptid » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:48 am

One good piece of advice I was once given, which might be especially helpful to someone just starting off, would be to always get the best player involved in a multiplayer deal. Don't trade away your studs for medicore depth. Depending on the character of the league you are joining, more experienced members with questionable motives may try and wow you with volume.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:58 am

Well now I'm really in a bind. Our live draft is March 6th! :-o

That's before spring training even begins! :-o

Man I'm getting freaked out. O.K. So, what positions have the least potential this year (2B, SS, 3B, etc.)? Because I'm assuming those are big targets to grab. And should I at least take one or two good pitchers early? By early I mean 5th or 6th round. :-?
LT Blue Colt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:14 am

A good way to find out 'position scarcity' quickly is to get a positional ranking list w/ stats. The 'fault lines' between different degrees of quality should be readily apparent. Generally, except for the first few rounds, you are best off to wait until the lower levels of a given tier of players to grab a guy. I also characterize the 'best' guys as 'stars' and include them in the first tier, rather than allocating a separate tier for the top performers. To me, this seems to provide a more accurate 'measurement' of positional depth than having a short list of guys at the top and some (in the case of, for example, OF where you have a LOT of very good guys in the second tier...)

For example, if you have 'punted' the 1st Rd 2B, you do not necessarily NEED to grab a second tier guy right out of the door either. That way, when you are 'punting' 2B, you can ride it and stock up on quality players elsewhere before going back for a lower tier guy who will, in most cases, put up numbers comparable to the guys at the start of a given tier. If you do this, you will notice some categories of guys who may be of use who are way off of any of the top 100 or top 200 charts but would still be able to put up say 10-18 HR, hit .275 w/ some RBI and maybe some steals too. Doing a bit of research and IDing a 2B candidate in a lower tier, who can nonetheless maybe pull off 10 HR and 25 or 30 SB w/o killing BA can be more of a critical call than whether to pick Pujols or Arod w/ your first pick.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers