O.K. Everybody . . . - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

O.K. Everybody . . .

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

O.K. Everybody . . .

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:16 pm

. . . time to pick on the new guy. :-o

O.K. this is going to be my first year in a Fantasy Baseball league and I'm hoping you guys can help me with strategy. I've done Football for quite a few years, and always had the interest, but there's a lot I've got to learn. :-B

So, give me all you're willing to give, but I've got a question I'd really like to know. Well in Football your first pick should focus on a very good RB or QB, and in Basketball you should focus on a great C or F, so what should I look for first in Baseball? Looking at your mock drafts it seems pretty random, hey? But, I appreciate all the help, thanks! ;-D
LT Blue Colt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:18 pm

In baseball, the scoring is more evenly distributed, so you shouldn't go for a position first. Just take the best player available. And don't be the guy that takes pitching too early. Pitchers are more likely to be injured and you don't want to waste your first pick.

Welcome and good luck.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:50 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:In baseball, the scoring is more evenly distributed, so you shouldn't go for a position first. Just take the best player available. And don't be the guy that takes pitching too early. Pitchers are more likely to be injured and you don't want to waste your first pick.

Welcome and good luck.

agree i dont even bother getting pitching in the 1st round id focus on getting a guy that can help you in the most categories or like AA just said take the best player available
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby TheRock » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:47 pm

Welcome, anything we can do to help you out let us know.

Will take some time to learn the players and the intricacies of the game. I'd recommend

1) Go buy yourself a good fantasy mag. There's a couple of threads around discussing which are the "best". FB Index seems to get pretty high marks. Just make sure you get some good articles and most importantly player profiles. Keep it in your office and read through it every time you're in there.

2) You found the mock drafts - excellent. They may not always be "right", but will at least give you an idea of where players typcially are drafted.

3) Hang out here when you can and read the discussions taking place. Got some knowledgeable folks here.

4) Ask questions as you've done when something doesn't make sense.

Glad to have you aboard. If football seems like to much luck for you, you'll love fantasy baseball.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Captain Jack Sparrow » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:34 am

yep, best available player early on. I also agree with the previous post about avoiding pitching in the 1st round, hitters are more reliable. Last year in my points league (which favors stud pitchers a little) I took Prior and Halladay early and got burned. My season would've been so different with Manny and Tejada...

oh, that still hurts to this day :-[
Captain Jack Sparrow
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bboy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:29 am

Also very important to show up to your draft on time, if it's a live draft that is. I've seen some shockers going to late arrivals :-)
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spartans Rule » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:58 am

Here's a couple tips I would give beginners:

Know your scoring system, especially how it values hitting relative to pitching. I used to play in points leagues at Sandbox, and their scoring system was so favorable to starting pitching that I would often draft SP with my first 3 picks. But in 5x5, the most popular system, I often don't draft my 3rd SP until the rounds are in double digits.

And as mentioned before, hitting is more reliable than pitching. It is a good idea to draft proven hitters early, and get young pitchers who strike out a lot of batters in the late rounds. You can also platoon pitchers on a day-to-day basis to pick out favorable matchups.

If you share your league's rules (scoring, lineups, etc.) I could probably give some more specific advice.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:18 pm

All right, so if the league I'm in is going to go head-to-head with most of the major catagories (R, H, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, K, E, FPCT, AVG, OBP, SLG, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, HR, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB ), and it looks to me batters are going to be pretty important what I'm thinking is:

Getting about 3 of the best batters I can in the first couple rounds and then focus on a good pitcher. Unless they start going, then I should go with the flow and pick one or two up? Or, any other good suggestions? :-?
LT Blue Colt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BGbootha » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:25 pm

wow, an 11x11.

Well you can pretty much just forget about a couple of the cats, E and FPCT. But yeah draft the best available. The 3B cat kinda plays an interesting role, where there are a couple of guys who can pick them up more often than anyone else.

But Honestly I don't know if I would recommend an 11x11 league to anyone!
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:17 am

grab the best aviable hitter in the first round. expect that you usally bump up players at scare positions such as catcher and 2nd and ss. but don't bump them up alot but take it into consideration. good luck!
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers