Greg Maddux - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Greg Maddux

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:41 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I don't want to give my projections because I'll be laughed out of the room (again). But I do think that he'll outproduce Tim Hudson and Curt Schilling if that gives you an idea of how highly I think of him.

Oh, okay...
3.20 era, 15 wins, 140 strikeouts.

:~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

Thsoe are tears of laughter... sorry AA :-D

I have him at about a 4.00 ERA with not much in the way of K's. And he doesn't get his 15 W's either. People will pay for his name... it's like buying Nike shoes for the checkmark.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:43 am

LBJackal wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:I don't want to give my projections because I'll be laughed out of the room (again). But I do think that he'll outproduce Tim Hudson and Curt Schilling if that gives you an idea of how highly I think of him.

Oh, okay...
3.20 era, 15 wins, 140 strikeouts.

:~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

Thsoe are tears of laughter... sorry AA :-D

I have him at about a 4.00 ERA with not much in the way of K's. And he doesn't get his 15 W's either. People will pay for his name... it's like buying Nike shoes for the checkmark.

I agree with LBJ on the wins part here....solely because of the bullpen situation in Chicago taking away 2-3 of his wins at least. Unless, of course, a trade is made prior to the season.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ayebatter » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:50 am

i have him at 200+ innings, 135+ k's, 15 wins, 3.12 era, 1.11 whip
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby sockeye » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:54 am

LBJackal wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:

On the contrary, I think he's often undervalued in my leagues because people are always passing over him in favor of looking for the next 200K guy.

AyeBatter, I sure hope your predictions are spot-on!
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:56 am

since 1992 he's had more than 15 wins every yr except one yr where he could only match 15. I say write in his 15 wins in pen.

As for ERA - 3.5 - 3.9; 1.19 WHIP; below avg Ks.

The reason I consider him a value pick is based on where he can be drafted. I also feel as though I get a bit more security with him because he has been so reliable over the years - that doesnt really improve his value, but it does help me sleep better at night.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:01 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:since 1992 he's had more than 15 wins every yr except one yr where he could only match 15. I say write in his 15 wins in pen.

As for ERA - 3.5 - 3.9; 1.19 WHIP; below avg Ks.

The reason I consider him a value pick is based on where he can be drafted. I also feel as though I get a bit more security with him because he has been so reliable over the years - that doesnt really improve his value, but it does help me sleep better at night.

Good point about his past wins....however, when's the last year you remember his bullpen situation in such flux? I think Maddux will pitch like a 15 game winner, but he will only win 12 or so. Just my opinion, could be wrong.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:19 am

He was also a 2+ ERA pitcher when he racked up all thsoe wins. An ERA under 4 would be a bonus for him IMO, and hardly anybody with an ERA of 4+ gets 15 wins. Especially when their closer is Ryan Demspter. And I don't know where these low-3's ERA's are coming from, but it'd be a miracle to see him below 3.65 IMO.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chris8 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:24 am

I just drafted him in my 12-team keeper league in round 14 (pick #162 overall) as my 4th starter.

I think that's pretty good value there...although obviously I don't intend on keeping him for next year!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 107)

Postby tiger spit » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:08 am

And I don't know where these low-3's ERA's are coming from, but it'd be a miracle to see him below 3.65 IMO.

yes considering he had a 3.96 era in 03'
and 4.02 in 04'. i'm not sure where you guys are getting this sub 3.50 era hopes from...
the guy is 38 years old and has a body of a 53 year old.. i think hes a great last round pick for the chance of his only real cat... wins..
to say he'll have a season close to the kind he had in 2000 when he was 34 is kind of a stretch.. actually a big stretch..
only thing that makes maddux even a consideration is the wins. if he was say on the pirates,dbacks,reds, ect... noone would even discuss him..
i think he's looking alot like his brother mike these days... :-)
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:46 am

AA any reason you see a 3.20 era?

His hr rate is killing him now 1.5/9, 35 last year. 03 wasn't good either. Hard to keep the era down with 30+ hrs. 15 wins can happen sure, Rick Helling won 20 with a worse era then Maddux. But a 4+ era sure will drag down your era numbers.

I will take Schilling with a lower era for 20, and Thome to out hr Green for 20? ;-)
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers