Greg Maddux - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Greg Maddux

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greg Maddux

Postby atlbraves11 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:59 pm

Projections?
what round would u draft him in
atlbraves11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 513
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:20 pm

I don't want to give my projections because I'll be laughed out of the room (again). But I do think that he'll outproduce Tim Hudson and Curt Schilling if that gives you an idea of how highly I think of him.

Oh, okay...
3.20 era, 15 wins, 140 strikeouts.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:57 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I don't want to give my projections because I'll be laughed out of the room (again). But I do think that he'll outproduce Tim Hudson and Curt Schilling if that gives you an idea of how highly I think of him.

Oh, okay...
3.20 era, 15 wins, 140 strikeouts.


i actually like those projections AA yet i dont think that will be outproducing Hudson or Schilling
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5820
Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Magical Valley Of Love And Happiness

Postby TheRock » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:25 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I don't want to give my projections because I'll be laughed out of the room (again). But I do think that he'll outproduce Tim Hudson and Curt Schilling if that gives you an idea of how highly I think of him.

Oh, okay...
3.20 era, 15 wins, 140 strikeouts.


I'm not laughing. Maybe 3.40 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, not a lot of K's (6 or so per 9), but after 17 years I think we can safely pencil him in for 15+ wins.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:59 pm

I agree with these other guys. I think he holds significant value given his pricetag.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Captain Jack Sparrow » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:27 am

15 wins au-to-mat-ic baby. Respectable ERA & WHIP and 140 K's sounds about right
Captain Jack Sparrow
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 272
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby sockeye » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:32 am

I just took him with pick #133 in a 7x7 league (K/BB + CG).

Probably a bit high compared to mock drafts, but while others are going for sexier, higher-ceiling guys, I've got a likely 15W and 200IP out a #3 (for me) starter. Again, not an exciting pick, but I'm pretty pleased with the likely numbers from that part of my rotation. Now I can gamble on the long-shot guys who might be the next Ollie Perez.

Good luck.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 492
Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spartans Rule » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:51 am

I like Maddux, but I'm not sure what everyone sees that would suggest he's capable of an ERA in the low 3s.

He's been at 3.96 and 4.02 the last two years. He gave up 35 HRs last year, and while he probably won't do that again that's a bad sign that his stuff is fading.

I've got Maddux down for 15 wins, 140 K, 4.03 ERA and 1.21 WHIP.

Those are solid numbers for the back end of your rotation, but I don't see him as a value pick.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 853
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spartans Rule » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:52 am

sockeye wrote:I just took him with pick #133 in a 7x7 league (K/BB + CG).

Probably a bit high compared to mock drafts, but while others are going for sexier, higher-ceiling guys, I've got a likely 15W and 200IP out a #3 (for me) starter. Again, not an exciting pick, but I'm pretty pleased with the likely numbers from that part of my rotation. Now I can gamble on the long-shot guys who might be the next Ollie Perez.

Good luck.


The K/BB aspect helps Maddux's value. That's his strong suit.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 853
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sockeye » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:14 am

Spartans Rule wrote:
sockeye wrote:I just took him with pick #133 in a 7x7 league (K/BB + CG).

Probably a bit high compared to mock drafts, but while others are going for sexier, higher-ceiling guys, I've got a likely 15W and 200IP out a #3 (for me) starter. Again, not an exciting pick, but I'm pretty pleased with the likely numbers from that part of my rotation. Now I can gamble on the long-shot guys who might be the next Ollie Perez.

Good luck.


The K/BB aspect helps Maddux's value. That's his strong suit.


Exactly. I would be doing back handsprings if he ended with an ERA at 3.4, let alone 3.2. I drafted him assuming a 4.00 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, and a K/BB of somewhere around 4 to 1. 200 innings of that for a #3 will be fine in my deep league, so it was worth taking him a tad early and moving on to other concerns. Or so I hope.....I was unsure at first, but since then I've pretty much gotten the guys I wanted.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 492
Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact