Rookie Needs Help.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rookie Needs Help..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rookie Needs Help..

Postby billtx » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:16 pm

Last year was my first try at FBB. I finished 8 of 8 but had a chance at 7th until the last couple days. For the 1st month or so of the season I was midpack until a rash of injuries and inexperience took me down. Here are the protected players I have, please advise on upgrades and protection. Thanks!

Batters:
RF/DH - Sheffield
RF - Jermaine Dye
CF - Finley
LF - Carlos Lee
1B - Sean Casey (took over for Sexson)
2B - Marcus Giles
SS - Carlos Guillen
3B - Blalock
C - LoDuca
Other guys I used for Injury fill-in:
- Mackowiak
- Biggio

Pithers:
SP- Hudson
SP - Penny
SP - Sabathia
SP - K Wood
SP - D WIllis
SP - D Wells
RP - Gagne
RP - F Cordero

I thought I should use my top pick on 1B unless someone better is available, not sure what the draft order is yet.

Experts let me know your thoughts, I have tough competition in this league!
billtx
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeff926 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:20 pm

im pretty surprised you got last... it depends on when you draft, but i would try to take either a 1st baseman, a catcher, or some speed... ya, get speed. is figgins or podsednik or dave roberts available? you can trade one of your OF for a better 1b, but you should draft for speed.
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby billtx » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Thanks.. Injuries to Giles, Penny, Hudson, Wood, Sexson, Guardado hurt me. I made some bad picks early (Hampton, Cobntreras) but found some good free agents (like LoDuca, Wells) later on.
billtx
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:08 am

The roster looks a little weak for an 8-team league. You seem to be missing a 1st round pick. Who was your 1st round pick last year? Did you not protect Sexson for this season? If not that may have been a mistake. I certainly would have protected him over Dye and some others. What's the format, H2H or Roto? If it's a points league what is the scoring?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby billtx » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:28 am

Sheffield was 1st pick - I had the 8th pick. I cut Sexson - based on the rules he would not have been protected since he went down early and had not generated enough points. We had a cap on moves (20), and I was running out.

Yea I feel it is a week roster, it was my 1st time and I did not have a lot oftime to prepare. I like my RP's but that is it. I got Dye at the end of the draft, he was decent til he hurt his thumb.

Points league, I don't have the settings currently - Yahoo seems to be off the air for FBB at the moment.

I thought about focusing on 1B & CF early. Hudson was a points machine til hurt - maybe he will do OK in Atlanta. Giles was great til hurt and Blalock had a slump for a while but came back. Brad Penny injury worries me, I don't care to have Willis or Wells back and Sabathia is a maybe. Overall I thought about keeping most of my batters but trying to replace the weakest ones with starters and keep the weaklings as backups.
Last edited by billtx on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
billtx
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Amazinz » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:33 am

Yeah it's hard to give advice on a points league without knowing the setup. Your rotation is probably OK so I'd lean toward the biggest bat available whatever his position was. Good luck.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team