Beltre or Soriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltre or Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:34 pm

DK wrote:
quietstorm wrote:
I'm sure 4 years at $64 million dollars is telling him otherwise.

As a Mariner's fan, I'm well aware that our management overpaid. ;)

I believe it was 5 years/64 mil. I don't think they overpaid. In fact, i think when it's all said and done, it will turn out to be a bargain. They are getting a stud when you want to get them (ages 26-30). This isn't paying a guy like so many do, starting after their prime.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:05 pm

Hootie and I share a similar opinion of Beltre. If you pass on him in your leagues this yr, dont say you werent warned. '04 was not a fluke - I can actually see him having a better yr in SEA with a better offense around him boosting his Rs and RBIs. His avg should stay similar and the age/park factor adjustments should be a bit of a push.

I'll draft Beltre ahead of Soriano in every league.

Another thing Im beginning to notice is the number of very good 2B values this yr. Sure the position is top heavy, but I really dont see the scarcity issue being as large as others make it out to be.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flockers » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:07 pm

Soriano is the better option, but at pick 14 you'll probably end up with Beltre which isn't bad at all.
Last edited by Flockers on Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flockers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:07 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Another thing Im beginning to notice is the number of very good 2B values this yr. Sure the position is top heavy, but I really dont see the scarcity issue being as large as others make it out to be.

I agree with that. It's not nearly as deep as 3B but there are some nice late options there.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby roto-addicted » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:07 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
daweasle wrote:soriano by a mile.

In a snake draft soriano is an easy first round pick
Soriano is best 2B unless your league counts Ks against you. Otherwise - he's a an #1 at 2B.

beltre plays at a position where there's at least 6 guys equal to or better than him.

(arod, chavez, rolen, huff, lowell, blaylock) <I would take any of these over beltre. EASILY.

Beltre is a perrenial dissappointment and finally had one good year.

Easily?
One good year?
Try one great year. Lowell over Beltre? That's funny. :-b
When has Huff hit 45 hrs and knocked in 140? I have forgotton. Beltre gets no respect. He did this at age 25. At ages 23-24 he was sick. So in reality, because he wasn't a mvp pre age 23, he's a disappointment. Interesting that so many here doubt Beltre, yet a guy also with ONLY one great year (Santana), is 1st round legit.

I would take Beltre over Soriano. He simply is a better hitter, there's no question there. While 3b is deep, and 2b is shallow, only 1 or 2 3b, might match Beltre.

I would agree with you there. Beltre doesn't get any respect and I would certainly not take Huff or Lowell over Beltre. Beltre should've gone to the All-Star game and won the MVP in '04 but neither happened, which was a joke. And Beltre has always put up great second half numbers and as you mentioned he was still recovering a couple of years back from that horrible botched operation when he almost died. And even then his second half numbers were good. I've always liked Beltre and I hope he does well in Seattle. He carried the Dodgers in '04 and we loved him for it. He will be missed greatly and I hope the fans in Seattle take him in as one of his own like we did here in LA. From what I've read, most Dodger fans are angry at management for not doing more to sign Beltre but I really don't blame management or Beltre. I think they both should've tried harder to work something out and in the end it's only the fans that get hurt by it. The fans that watched Beltre grow into the player he became and that we always knew he would become and were so proud of in '04. And in retrospect, when he struggled early in his career, management was probably to blame for bringing him into the big leagues so early. But either way, he will be missed at Dodger Stadium.
roto-addicted Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers