Bobby Abreu's "career" year... I don't think so - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby Abreu's "career" year... I don't think so

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bobby Abreu's "career" year... I don't think so

Postby The Cow » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:20 pm

Abreu did not have a career year last year, he had a year that was par for him. No birdies no eagles, no aces just par.

Abreu set career best numbers last year in:
1. SB with 40, previous high was 36(thats only 4 bags folks)
2. BB 127- previous high 109

Abreu tied career highs in:
1. Runs- 118 this is the 3rd time he has scored 118 runs in a year
2. OPS- .971, he also set this mark in 2000

Abreu DID NOT set career highs in:
HR, RBI, 3B, Hits, Games, ABs, 2B, K's, CS, AVG, OBP and SLG

So those of you that say Abreu had a "career" year need to look at his career stats.

The reason Abreu improved over his 2003 numbers is that he lost weight and got in better shape. The guy admitted he ate too many tacos.

As far as the 5x5 categories go, only SBs were a career best(again by only 4 bags). Runs were tied for a career best. As for the other 3 cats, HRs, RBIs and AVG they were below his career marks.

So my forecast for Abreu is for more of the same, but I have have a feeling 2005 will be his career year.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:27 pm

He tied his career best in just about everything and the ones he didn't he was only off by 1 like 30/31 HRs, 47/48 doubles, he missed his career high in RBI by 5. He has never had a year where he put it all together like he did last year although he's had some great years. I am not willing to call it a career year because he's still young enough to put up a better season but if '04 was "par" then why weren't people drafting him in the 1st and 2nd round like they are this year? ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:35 pm

Career year means the best season in his career... and 2004 was the best season of his career. That's not a bad thing though, at least he isn't declining. I'd expect his SB's to take a considerable hit in '05 but his power numbers, and especially his R's, shoudn't go down I don't think.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby free » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:42 pm

Amazinz wrote:He tied his career best in just about everything and the ones he didn't he was only off by 1 like 30/31 HRs, 47/48 doubles, he missed his career high in RBI by 5. He has never had a year where he put it all together like he did last year although he's had some great years. I am not willing to call it a career year because he's still young enough to put up a better season but if '04 was "par" then why weren't people drafting him in the 1st and 2nd round like they are this year? ;-)

thats a good question :-? man that pedro is one ugly dude :-o
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ravenmad22 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:54 pm

Bobby finally made a commitment to getting in shape last year and it showed. This year, I bet he competes for a batting title to go along with 100 R, 100 RBI, 30 HR and 30 SB. He's a true talent that has discovered the work ethic to go with his superior skills.

BONUS: He never misses games either! Most definetly worth a late first round pick or (if you're lucky) an early second rounder. I think the days of 20/20 are in the past. He's come into his own now and provided he keeps up the hard work, he'll be a roto stud for years to come.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:09 pm

I think people are underestimating the power of citizen bank park.

Home #'s
.314/.451/.552

Away #'s
290/.405/.535

Expect power #'s to remain constant from last season. The big question mark is the SB totals. Abreu was pretty successful stealing: 40/45 last season, going off career SB #'s it is safe to say he'll atleast at (low end) hit his 20.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby The Cow » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:00 am

if '04 was "par" then why weren't people drafting him in the 1st and 2nd round like they are this year?

Because he had a down year in 2003 is the reason he fell to the 4th round last year. He had a down year in 2003 because he was out of shape. He openly admitted that during the offseason he would just sit around and eat Latin food. Now Abreu plays winter ball to help stay in shape and I would guess he eats better. As evidenced by his loss of taco gut.

As for his SB total falling next year, he is a safe bet for 30, maybe more. I know Larry Bowa was an agressive manager, but Charlie Manuel is a player's manager. Meaning if Abreu wants to steal Charlie won't stop him. Manuel goes out of his way to keep player's happy. I will agree that a success rate of 40/45 probably won't be repeated, but I do not see a decrease in attempts.

COW
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mojowitt » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:30 am

Shhhhhh...Im still getting him at number 8-10 in some drafts...
mojowitt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:39 am

I am looking for Bobby to put up very similar number to last season, minus a few SB's. I've got him on one team already and plan on aquiring him in quite a few more.

nice post cow ;-D

wr out I've always wanted to do that :-°
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:58 am

LBJackal wrote:Career year means the best season in his career... and 2004 was the best season of his career.

Was it? Going from say 80 rbis, to 81 rbis, isn't a career year in my book. Abreu last year did not beat his career high in

hits
runs
rbis
doubles
triples
hrs
total bases
average

His ops was only .002 better then before. His rc/27 of 8.05 was barely over his previous 7.93 high.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers