#1 Minor Leaguer - Debate! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

#1 Minor Leaguer - Debate!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:32 am

i would take delmon young #1 as he is the safest pick imo of them all....felix may be great in the majors one day but too many pitchers go down in the minors with injuries and such.... take delmon
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:19 pm

hybrid wrote:
SuptownSpartans34 wrote:Dominating the minors with a 95+ fastball isn't that hard.

Um it is kind of hard when your 18 years old, but I see you didn't bring that up. Also he has more then just a fastball, he has the best curve in the minors, a solid change up, and whenever the M's decide to let him throw it ... a plus slider as well. Not to mention he has excellent control, etc. etc.

Well he is up against his peers in A and AA ball, who are also around 18. But when he gets to the big leagues, I'd like to see him put it past the quickest bats in baseball.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:51 pm

SuptownSpartans34 wrote:Well he is up against his peers in A and AA ball, who are also around 18. But when he gets to the big leagues, I'd like to see him put it past the quickest bats in baseball.

I can see you don't know to much about the minor leagues. There are two sets of A ball, low A & high A. If you are 18 or 19 in Low A, that is considered pretty young for the league. He was 17/18 for high A and AA, big difference, he was at least 2 years younger then most of the young top prospects there. Once again, he was younger then Upton in AA and Upton was already one of the youngest at AA in quite some time.

I know there are bound to be people who dislike him for one reason or another (hype being one of them), but realize that what he has done isn't normal in the least bit and it hasn't been against his peers.

Also on your "wanting to see him put it by the quickiest bats" don't worry, unless an injury happens, you will get to see it and maybe then give the kid some credit.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Zito is God » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:59 pm

I think there are some people in here that don't know much about the minors...

Anyways...Felix is your guy if yopu can wait a year or two. I had #2 overall minor league pick in my dynasty and took Prince Fielder (Felix went 1st). Call me crazy, I believe Fielder has more power then Young and will get to the majors faster as Tampa has more competition in the outfield with Gathwright there. I would seriously be looking at Cain to move up on the minor charts as he is already in my top 8 as of right now. His Hi-A stats are absolutely ridiculous, to the point where I have not seen anything like it.

Also, I have a LOT of problems with oakiedragon's list.

Weeks is not a top 10 prospect, I think he got this from mlb.com without actually checking stats or injury prone-ness. I have absolutely NO IDEA why some people are high on loewen, his Hi-A stats are mediocre AT BEST. Street is good, but not even a top 20 prospect IMO. I have Francouner (sp?) over Street on my charts, but even he doesn't make top 10 IMO.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:52 pm

Zito is God wrote:Call me crazy, I believe Fielder has more power then Young and will get to the majors faster as Tampa has more competition in the outfield with Gathwright there.

nah not going to call you crazy, but trust me youngs competition is himself not gathwright in TB
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CameronCrazy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:35 pm

eric byrnes, he'll be back down this year
durham=we ghetto
CameronCrazy
College Coach
College Coach

does anyone have a good free minor league website

Postby goldenboy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:25 am

for lists of players?
goldenboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaQ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:55 pm

Thanks for all of your adivice.

Well, I was able to settle the debate quite easily...I took both lol. I took Delmon in the initial draft (somehow he wsa there...go figure) and Felix in the Minor League draft.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigken117 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:11 pm

DaQ wrote:Well, I was able to settle the debate quite easily...I took both lol. I took Delmon in the initial draft (somehow he wsa there...go figure) and Felix in the Minor League draft.

How was someone who never had an AB above AA available in your major league draft? Are you using Sportsline?

Count me with those who think Delmon is a safer minor league pick than Felix, with Felix having a higher reward, not to frown on 40 HRs, but Felix is being compared to Doc Gooden, and Delmon to Joey Belle. I'd take Gooden's prime over Belle's.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:08 pm

bigken117 wrote:How was someone who never had an AB above AA available in your major league draft? Are you using Sportsline?

This isn't his Major league draft, it's a Minor league one. They are prolly doing it on a message board or something.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball