#1 Minor Leaguer - Debate! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

#1 Minor Leaguer - Debate!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

#1 Minor Leaguer - Debate!

Postby DaQ » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:47 pm

Past 2005, who is the top Minor League Prospect and why? In my new keeper league, we field a small minor-league squad (3 players) so this info will be useful. I have the #1 pick in the Minors draft, so any minor-leaguer who hasn't already exceeded rookie status (130 AB's, 50 IP) or will be drafted in the MLB draft (McPhaerson, Kazmir) are eligible.

I dion't know too much about minor league baseball, so I need your help. I know MLB.com has their own rankings.

I just need to know who the top prospect is after 2005 and why? I've heard a lot of buzz about players like Delmon Young, Felix Hernandez and Jose Cappelan. What to you think?

EDIT: Mauer will be in the Majors draft as well; it's anyone who was not drafted in the Majors draft and is eligible as being in the "Minors" can be drafted in the Minors Draft. So I bet there are at least a few prospects with starting roles in 2005 that will be drafted - I just listed two examples w/ Kazmir and McPhaerson so you get the idea.
Last edited by DaQ on Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Joe Mauer .... he is still an eligible minor leaguer in your league since he only had 107 AB's last season. If not, then Felix Hernandez is your guy. ;-D 95+ MPH fastball and a nasty curve.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby oakiedragon » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:43 pm

if mcpherson and kazmir are going in the Majors draft then mauer should go in that draft as well. As for minors, I would go with these players.
1.Felix Hernandez (should be your 1st pick. Will DOMINATE someday)
2.Ian Stewart-Col-3b; Will put up huge #'s in col. and swipe some bags.
3. Delmon Young-OF-TB
4. Rickey Weeks-2b-Mil
5. Prince Fielder-1b-Mil
6. Chad Billingsley-p-La (other LA pitchers to consider are: Greg Miller, Edwin Jackson, and Chuck Tiffany)
8. Adam Loewen-P-Bal
9.Houston Street-P-OAk (closer of the future)

There are just a couple of names. I know others will jump in and toss more names in here. But i believe the consensus would be take Felix Hernandez with your first overall pick. He is a dominating pitcher for the M's and he is only 19 i believe at most 20 yrs. old. He'll start the year in AA and might even get called up by sept. but that is unlikely cause the M's are trying to move him slowly. But he has 3 plus pitches and will pitch in a pitchers park. What more could you ask for? hope this helps.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:33 pm

I think Delmon Young is your choice. Granted, I think that Felix Hernandez is wildly overrated, but even if he isn't, stay away from minor league pitching. Too much injury risk.

Ian Stewart is another great choice, but a good bit of his value will come from Denver. Delmon Young will hit .300-.315 with 40 homers and 20 stolen bases year in and year out. He's also just 19-20.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rico The Retard » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:09 pm

Felix Hernandez, only 19 and hes dominating the minors
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joshheines » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:24 pm

The top ten prospects with minor league eligibility are, in no particular order, with where they will play in 2005.

1. Joe Mauer - MLB
2. Felix Hernandez - AAA/MLB
3. Delmon Young - A+/AA
4. Ian Stewart - A+/AA
5. Scott Kazmir - MLB
6. Joel Guzman - AAA/MLB
7. Lastings Milledge - A+/AA
8. Casey Kotchman - AAA/MLB
9. Adam Miller - A+/AA/AAA
10. Chad Billingsley - AA/AAA

In case your counting, the Dodgers have 2 guys in the top 10, and a third in the top 15 (Edwin Jackson), and probably 10 in the top 100. Man, the 2007-2008 Dodgers may be REALLY good. They could have a completely home-grown staff that costs them less than $3 million + James Loney and Joel Guzman. A few big bats and keeping Gagne, and I'd say the Dodgers, Brewers and Mets are the teams of the future in the NL. Believe it.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:00 am

oakiedragon wrote:But i believe the consensus would be take Felix Hernandez with your first overall pick. He is a dominating pitcher for the M's and he is only 19 i believe at most 20 yrs. old. He'll start the year in AA and might even get called up by sept. but that is unlikely cause the M's are trying to move him slowly. But he has 3 plus pitches and will pitch in a pitchers park. What more could you ask for?

Actually your a bit off on a few of your statements. He is only 18, though he turns 19 soon (in April). Also he is quite likely to start the year in AAA, M's management have alluded to this as ST is growing closer. They would like to have him start in AAA and wait for him to be called up in the middle of the year (assuming everything goes as planned, ie. no injuries). It's not so much the M's are trying to move him slowly, cause obviously that isn't true. He was 18 in Double A, younger then Upton. They are trying to keep the pitch counts and innings down, cause with the way he is pitching they are pretty much forced to move him up and try to challenge him.

With all that said and even though I think Felix is amazing, the safer bet would be Delmon Young. But if you need SP more, I'd take Felix.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:08 am

Rico The Retard wrote:Felix Hernandez, only 19 and hes dominating the minors

Dominating the minors with a 95+ fastball isn't that hard. He is too risky to be the #1 minor leaguer, I'd go with Young or Fielder.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:06 am

SuptownSpartans34 wrote:Dominating the minors with a 95+ fastball isn't that hard.

Um it is kind of hard when your 18 years old, but I see you didn't bring that up. Also he has more then just a fastball, he has the best curve in the minors, a solid change up, and whenever the M's decide to let him throw it ... a plus slider as well. Not to mention he has excellent control, etc. etc.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby San D » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:15 am

No one mentions Andy Marte. I think Young, Hernandez, Fielder, Stewart, and Marte are all in the same top tier (that was also the order I'd take them).
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball