SF & Pedro Feliz??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SF & Pedro Feliz???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TownDrunk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:14 pm

Deuce wrote:Wow,
Maybe I'm the town drunk. I went to about 70 Giants games last year. I didn't see it that way at all. To think Edgardo has range, you must be sitting in section 303 in the upper reserve last row.
AJ Pierzynki clutch hitting? You must have been routing for the other team. AJ probably had as many double play outs as he did any other category. Most of those after Bonds was on base. He couldn't get out any baserunners and the pitchers are very glad he's gone. Check again the circumstances in which he developoed that average. No baserunners, no game on the line. He was the biggest loser on the Giants. More so than Herges. He may have had good numbers two years ago and good numbers this year, but last year, he stunk it up when it counted.

Yes, Alfonzo still has range. I’m not big on some of the saber stats, but his ZR was 7th highest out of all MLB third basemen last season.

Perhaps you should look up what RISP means. It’s runners in scoring position. AJ was in the top 20 in the National League in terms of batting average when runners were in scoring position for the Giants. So yes, he had clutch hits for the Giants last season.

Also, the majority of the starters said last year that he called a great game. Go take a look at the bad games Schmidt had last season, and look who was catching him. Then take a look at his good games, and look at who was catching them. Do the same for Lowry. These guys both said that AJ calls a great game.

Yes, Matheny is better defensively than AJ. But to say that all the pitchers are glad he’s gone is again premature.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:15 pm

Again, being at so many games over the past couple of years, I still think JT Snow is one of the best fielding 1st baseman in the league. Pedro isn't always sure to cover the bag on balls hit to 2nd or the mound. Pedro is a 3rd baseman, and as soon as he gets to play there everyday, he will be a 30+ homerun hitter and his average will get better. There's no comparison in the two at all.

By the way, in my current keeper league, I drafted Feliz as my second 1st and 3rd baseman (kinda utility), but others hitting in my utility position. I will play Pedro over one or the other position on days I know he will be in the line up.

I also drafted Pierzynski (taking a chance he had a single year flop), as my 2nd catcher.

I'll never draft Alfonzo, and can't afford Snow to sit on the bench for defense.
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:54 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Whomever said that Snow was better than Feliz at offense is not thinking striaght, maybe he was but not anymore. It really isn't even close.

Why? Because Feliz will hit more HRs than Snow? Snow doesn't get nearly enough recognition because he doesn't hit 30 HR, but since he arrived in SF he has been a well-above average 1B.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:29 pm

No Snow is not! yes, I agree that Feliz does need to learn some plate discipline, but how is ehe gonna learn? Defense wise yes, Snow is fantastic, top-tier. But its like starting Doug Mientkiewicz over Kevin Millar. Mienkiewicz is the superior 1B but who would you rather have??? Most fantasy leagues don't count fielding%. And since Snow has been in SF he has been an above avg 1B, but that was then. Now he's one of the worst offensive 1B in the NL. Who is he better than? Chad Tracy maybe Hee Seop Choi, least they are on the upside of their careers. Plus, playing in Pac Bell dosen't bode well for Snow who has lost his power to al the injuries he's suffered. Pedro should be starting, period.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Tavish » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:37 pm

Its hard to tell if you are arguing who is the better fantasy player or who is the better real life player. Snow beats Feliz in basically every offensive category other than HR. He is an excellent defensive 1B, has excellent plate discipline, and has decent gap power. I'm not sure why you consider him to be such a poor offensive player.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:46 pm

I'm talking both, Snow's 3 year offensive avg

116 gms 346 AB 46 R 88H 7HR 46RBI .333SB 56BB 75Ks 255AVG
.367OP .386SLG

That was worse that what I thought

in other words he's below-avg right now whn it comes to swinging the bat
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:57 pm

sorry forgot to add in 2004 season so here are his 4yr avg.

114G 346AB 50R 94H 9HR 50RBI 57BB 72K 1SB .273AVG .383OP
.422SLG
Downslide of career too
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:46 pm

Havok1517 wrote:sorry forgot to add in 2004 season so here are his 4yr avg.

114G 346AB 50R 94H 9HR 50RBI 57BB 72K 1SB .273AVG .383OP
.422SLG
Downslide of career too

So you are agreeing that he is and has been a better offensive player than Feliz is?

BA/OBP/SLG/OPS
Feliz in his best season
.276/.305/.485/.790

JT Snow average over the past 4 seasons
.273/.383/.422/.805

Comparing just last season or the last 2 seasons it wasn't even close, if we go back far enough to include some of Snow's worst seasons then they come out closer to even. If Feliz bats over .260 and gets on base anywhere near the .300 clip in 2005 then the Giants should be thrilled with his production.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby LCBOY » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:23 am

TownDrunk wrote:
But Tavish is right. Right now, Feliz has terrible plate discipline.

Feliz has always had and always will have terrible plate disciple. He is almost 30 years old. He will never walk more than 30 times a year which is terrible. A player his age just doen't "learn" to take a pitch. It's too late for that. At one point last year he had something like three walks in late May. That's just awful... :-[
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:05 am

You gotta start planning for the future sometime and give a guy a chance to learn and produce. That is not anywhere near Snow.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers