SF & Pedro Feliz??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SF & Pedro Feliz???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SF & Pedro Feliz???

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:22 pm

Okay, I still can't figure out why SF is going to start JT Snow at 1st and is slatted to hit 3rd in the order??? I mean aside from defense and possibly on the field leadership Pedro is a much better offensive weapon by far. I just don't understand it. Feliz has 25-30HR 85-100RBI potential for sure, and by batting him 3rd Bonds and Alou can protect him and allow him to mature even more. Can somebody explain the logic of playing Snow over Feliz, why this is happening???
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:52 pm

J.T. Snow is an all-around better player than Feliz. Offensively and defensively. Feliz needs to learn some sort of plate discipline before he deserves to be anywhere near the heart of the lineup, especially with the number of times Bonds would be on base in front of him.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

snow?

Postby Willie3101 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:36 pm

well i certainly agree with leaving snow at first, but i dont think either should be hitting above the 6 spot... snow had a average average and decent numers for his AB's last year, but that was the first time that he put up decent numbers and i hold out little hope these days that he can handle to many more then 400 AB and still have good numbers... someone must beable to hit better around bonds and alou
Let's play two!
Willie3101
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mbuser » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:34 pm

i figured it was because they need feliz to back up so many positions at this point that they can't afford to give him a starting spot at this point. i can't see him getting less that 450 AB's regardless
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:22 pm

You've missed a key ingredient. Pedro is only playing first base becasue the Giants can't unload Edgardo Alfonzo. Alfonzo's contract is the soel reason why Pedro is not a full time starter. If Alfonzo does not produce, Pedro will be an everyday player and Snow will serve out his one year contracts as the full time 1st baseman.

Pedro will get his at bats this year, no question. Rotating between positions and hitting behind Bonds have made him impatient at the plate. Look for him to probably bat 5th behind Alou. The numbers will come.

I'm a big Feliz fan. I just wish the Giants were too (not just Alou).
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TownDrunk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:38 pm

Feliz is not that good defensively at 1B.

Snow showed he was the perfect number 2 hitter last season. Hopefully, he’ll keep that up in 3 hole, batting before Bonds and getting a lot of fastballs.

As for Feliz, he will get regular playing time. Starters AB’s.

Alfonzo knows that there is someone waiting in the wings to take over at 3B. So he played winter ball this year, and dropped 20 pounds.

Feliz will spell Alfonzo at 3B, Snow at 1B, and might see some time in the OF. He should be eligible at 3B, SS, and 1B this year for fantasy players.

Also, both Sabean and Alou are high on him. But there just isn’t a set position they can currently give him. Alou thinks he’ll be a 30 HR, 100 RBI, .275 hitter.

But Tavish is right. Right now, Feliz has terrible plate discipline.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:47 pm

Alfonzo has no range, no bat and hopefully no future in SF. Pedro will never get the plate discipline as long as he is expected to come in every other day to hit behind Bonds because Alfonzo couldn't.
Alfonzo was a bad pick up as well as Pierzyski. Thankfully, one is gone, and by the All star break the other. the Giants have more than Feliz waiting in the wings to play. You can only develop so far in the minors. To hit major league pitching, you have to see major league pitching.
Goodbye Cody Ransom - good glove, not enough major league at bats to learn the curveball.
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TownDrunk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:55 pm

To say that Alfonzo has no range is a bit premature. He's still solid defensively. And while he hasn't displayed the power he once had, his bat isn't that bad either.

And AJ wasn't that bad of a pickup either. At the time, the Giants were trading a relief pitcher that had falled out of favor within the club and a couple of prospects for an All Star catcher hitting his prime. And while AJ had an off year by his standards last season, he was still in the top 20 in terms of BA with RISP. He had a lot of clutch hits for the Giants last season.

And no, the Giants don't have more than Feliz waiting in the wings. He's probably their only decent homegrown position player, both on the MLB club, as well as in the minors.

And yes, thank goodness Ransom is gone. His defense wasn't that great either.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:03 pm

Wow,
Maybe I'm the town drunk. I went to about 70 Giants games last year. I didn't see it that way at all. To think Edgardo has range, you must be sitting in section 303 in the upper reserve last row.
AJ Pierzynki clutch hitting? You must have been routing for the other team. AJ probably had as many double play outs as he did any other category. Most of those after Bonds was on base. He couldn't get out any baserunners and the pitchers are very glad he's gone. Check again the circumstances in which he developoed that average. No baserunners, no game on the line. He was the biggest loser on the Giants. More so than Herges. He may have had good numbers two years ago and good numbers this year, but last year, he stunk it up when it counted.
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:06 pm

RototimesProjections for 2005
Snow 2004 107 346 62 113 32 1 12 60 4 0 58 61 .327 .429 .529
Projection 2005
Snow 2005 323 .276 49 89 24 2 8 51 0 1 51 62

Feliz 2004 2004 144 503 72 139 33 3 22 84 5 2 23 85 .276 .305 .485

Feliz 2005
478 .272 65 130 28 4 22 79 4 2 21 83

Whomever said that Snow was better than Feliz at offense is not thinking striaght, maybe he was but not anymore. It really isn't even close.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers