Ryan Madson
Mike Adams
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigBlue » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:39 am

Linebrink and........................

I can't believe I'm actually gonna say this, but I really think Kevin Brown is the best one available. Just my opinion.
BigBlue
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 17)

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:41 am

I really like Woody in Petco.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:43 am

I think it depends on what you need....if you need holds go with Worrell. If you need saves go with Aquino. If you need wins go with Brown. If you need ratios go with Woody.

I know this doesn't seem like much help, but it really does depend on what your needs are and what you need to target.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:52 am

Wouldn't D. Wells and Lieber be better options for starters over Woody and errr Brown? And then their is Pettitte.

Worrell Over Linebrick?

For what it is worth, I inherited a crummy Keeper 6x6 (OPS and Holds) team where they kept 4 and have filled out the roster as such (now in Round 18,19):

C: R. Hernandez
1B: D. Ortiz
2B: Durham
SS: Furcal
3B: Huff
MI: <open>
CI: Chipper
OF1-4: Edmonds, Drew, H. Matsui, B. Giles
U1-2: G. Anderson, L. Ford

SP1-4: Prior, Halladay, Pavano, <open>
RP1-3: Fr. Cordero, Baez, <open>
P1-3: <open>, <open>, <open>
Bench1-6: <open>,<open>,<open>,<open>,<open>,<open>

Starter or Holds guy looks like the more pressing needs, though there are far more of the latter of quality around.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:58 am

I think Brown is the best pitcher of the bunch IMO. However, being that the rest of your staff looks pretty risky, Prior, Hallady and Pavano :-o ....you may want to go with the sure thing and take Woody. At least you can rely on one solid, but unspectacular starter. I agree that you should probably wait on holds. Though, of the bunch, I still think Worrell is the best value because of the fact that he plays on a good team and can take over the closing role at any point backing up Billy Wagner and his injuries.

Lieber's value takes a big hit going to Philly in my opinion. That stadium made comparable pitchers to Lieber - Millwood and Wolf - look like total crap last year.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby qwerty » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:01 am

I would go with brown or westbrook ( may be a fluke season but who knows) and morris. You think i am crazy for mentioning morris but he will be healthy at the start of the season. For the first month or so they will be holding him to only 5 innings or so. I think last year was an an anomaly. He has never had a season like last year and i highly doubt he is declining at the agre of thirty.
qwerty
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:11 am

Prior and Halladay I got stuck with (along with Edmonds and Drew) as keepers. Did not mind Edmonds or Drew, but the 2 pitchers are not my type of players (i.e., risky high round SPs with injury histories). Neither would normally be on one of my re-draf squads. Not much I can do about it as it was take those 2 or take absolute garbage. The folly of drafting pitching early apparently was list on the fool who had the team last year as he also had Colon and Moyer and Nomo to go with Prior and Halladay.

I think Brown is garbage, but obviously I have more than a little hatred for the guy. Millwood was garbage at home and on the road last season and his numbers were about the same:

Home:
4.95 ERA 1.45 WHIP .275 BAA

Away:
4.77 ERA 1.47 WHIP .281 BAA

I think you can just attibute him to just plain stinking it up and it is not the first time he has imploded in his career.

As to Wolf, he was hurt a good portion of last season. His splits would back up your point though. But the sample size is small and the injury could have messed up a couple of his home starts and skewed the numbers. Hard to say.

I like Woody Williams, but feel he will survive another 18 picks back to me. I think Pettitte looks pretty decent, though I know he is another guy that many around here love to bust.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:20 am

Pettitte is out for the first month of the season, he's still recovering. That's from the NY Daily Times, or soemthing like that. I figured you'd have heard more about that than I have.

But as for the other guys... Brown, Woody, Lieber, Adams, Aquino, a case can be made for all of them. Even Tavarez, Ayala, and Linebrink wouldn't be bad considering holds are counted. You have 2 solid SP's (Prior and Halladay should bounce back very nicely), and then Pavano who I'm sure you like :-D but honestly shouldn't be relied on. So you don't need an SP right away with a bunch of good ones still out there who are all not too far apart from each other in value. I'd go for Adams and then a SP. After that, I'd grab a couple holds guys.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:25 am

LBJackal wrote:Pettitte is out for the first month of the season, he's still recovering. That's from the NY Daily Times, or soemthing like that. I figured you'd have heard more about that than I have.

But as for the other guys... Brown, Woody, Lieber, Adams, Aquino, a case can be made for all of them. Even Tavarez, Ayala, and Linebrink wouldn't be bad considering holds are counted. You have 2 solid SP's (Prior and Halladay should bounce back very nicely), and then Pavano who I'm sure you like :-D but honestly shouldn't be relied on. So you don't need an SP right away with a bunch of good ones still out there who are all not too far apart from each other in value. I'd go for Adams and then a SP. After that, I'd grab a couple holds guys.

I had not heard anything wry Pettitte missing time. Last report I saw was from Rotoworld at the end of January.

Rotoworld:
Andy Pettitte has been mixing in curveballs and cutters during his recent mound sessions.
Pettitte, who underwent surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon, should be at or near full strength for the start of the season. He went for too much in NL-only leagues last year, but he'll be fine to target at a lesser price this season.

Also, Adams more or less is a holds guy now that Botallico is suppsoedly going to close. Still not a bad option, but a committee is a brewing there.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers