Bronson Arroyo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bronson Arroyo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:58 pm

Bronson Arroyo is a product of the Red Sox hype machine. He's nothing but a mediocre pitcher overhyped because of the market he's in so needless to say I won't be targeting him.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 850
Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uranus

Postby theowannabe23 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Fat guy, no one likes a sore loser, first of all. And no one cares what Yankee fans think anyway. :-P

After personally watching Arroyo pitch 7 innings of 4 hit, 2 run ball in Yank-me Stadium in September (the game that the 'Sox won in the 9th thanks to the Greatest Closer of All Time according to the New York Hype Machine, Mariano Rivera)... the skills are there. When he locates the 86-88 mph fastball on the corners and the curve is snapping over, he barely needs his change to keep even good lineups/hitters off balance. He is, hype or not, capable of winning 12 games, perhaps a couple more given the protection afforded him by HIS lineup. He is NOT an anchor for anyone's fantasy team of course, and if he indeed gets bumped by a rotation of Schilling, Clement, Miller, Fatso, and Wakefield... obviously that creates a problem. Between the injury risks of Mr. 3 Whopper a Day and his back... and Miller coming off the fraying in the shoulder... he'll get his starts. But because of the chances he's got to be #5 SP unless he wins a job straight out in camp. Those road splits are no joke; he did not pitch as well at Fenway... witnessed personally. Pay attention to his performances at home early in the year and see if the trend continues. I'll take him in the late rounds if he is still there, for certain...
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
theowannabe23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 25
Joined: 4 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:22 pm

Wakefield, not Arroyo, will be in the bullpen.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby perlick29 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:31 pm

theowannabe23 wrote:Fat guy, no one likes a sore loser, first of all. And no one cares what Yankee fans think anyway. :-P

After personally watching Arroyo pitch 7 innings of 4 hit, 2 run ball in Yank-me Stadium in September (the game that the 'Sox won in the 9th thanks to the Greatest Closer of All Time according to the New York Hype Machine, Mariano Rivera)... the skills are there. When he locates the 86-88 mph fastball on the corners and the curve is snapping over, he barely needs his change to keep even good lineups/hitters off balance. He is, hype or not, capable of winning 12 games, perhaps a couple more given the protection afforded him by HIS lineup. He is NOT an anchor for anyone's fantasy team of course, and if he indeed gets bumped by a rotation of Schilling, Clement, Miller, Fatso, and Wakefield... obviously that creates a problem. Between the injury risks of Mr. 3 Whopper a Day and his back... and Miller coming off the fraying in the shoulder... he'll get his starts. But because of the chances he's got to be #5 SP unless he wins a job straight out in camp. Those road splits are no joke; he did not pitch as well at Fenway... witnessed personally. Pay attention to his performances at home early in the year and see if the trend continues. I'll take him in the late rounds if he is still there, for certain...


Dont assume anything just by looking at an avatar. FGWM is no Yankee fan. That wasn't a good way to make a point about this, he voiced his opinion and I tend to agree that he has the stuff to be a good pitcher and should be a nice back end of rotation for fantasy teams, it's just that was a cheap shot at him and you aren't right about it.

Judging by your name it could be assumed that you are a red sox fan and are defending your postion as an anti-Yankee, but I wont touch it.
Image
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4810
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: praising the almighty Baseball Prospectus

Postby theowannabe23 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:42 pm

OK Perlick, I'll give you that my assumption based on the avatar would be incorrect. Sorry about that. And clearly I'm in Red Sox heaven...

But I will point out that I only made one line about FatGuy out of that entire post... and by adding the stupid little emoticon, I was intending to denote sarcasm and tomfoolery... in other words I was just having a little fun.

The rest of the posting is based on Arroyo's skills and relative value... so no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

If there was any insult to FGWM, it is not my intention.

Additionally... I will diss the Yankees consistently. So if there are Yankee players on these chats, sorry about it, but I have no use for you clowns other than to be my personal pin cushion.

So, in short, I boo the Yankees, I was only being a typical New England smartass in picking on FGWM, and I hope there are no hard feelings.

And of course, go Sox.
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
theowannabe23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 25
Joined: 4 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:34 pm

What makes me hopeful about Arroyo is his ratio of 142K/47BB from last year. Maybe he's turned a corner at age 27.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Musketeer
Posts: 1158
(Past Year: 40)
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At the bottom of the Ancient Cave

Re: Bronson Arroyo

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:51 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
kentx12 wrote:Any projections for him this year? Last year he was pretty good will he be able to do it again this year?


12-9 4.30 1.30 WHIP and 135 K

Worth a $2 bid but not $3 :-D



Mookie, these great people convinced me he was indeed worth a $3 bid.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17435
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 8 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lost

Re: Bronson Arroyo

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:06 pm

kentx12 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
kentx12 wrote:Any projections for him this year? Last year he was pretty good will he be able to do it again this year?


12-9 4.30 1.30 WHIP and 135 K

Worth a $2 bid but not $3 :-D



Mookie, these great people convinced me he was indeed worth a $3 bid.


I'm trying to decide if he's worth $4 }:-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:07 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Wakefield, not Arroyo, will be in the bullpen.

you wanna put money on that? Wake has been with the team for longer than anyone else. While I think Arroyo will eventually get into the rotation, wakefeild will start the year in the number 5 spot. Good Ole Boys like Tito like to give vets the chance to keep their spots while making young guns work for it.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:47 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:What makes me hopeful about Arroyo is his ratio of 142K/47BB from last year. Maybe he's turned a corner at age 27.


;-D

Further, he had 75 K/19 BB in the second half. And just 6 HR allowed in 90 IP. Sabermetrically speaking, Arroyo is a stud in the making.

Based on the comments in this thread, I think Arroyo is seriously undervalued. He's too good to keep out of the rotation for long.

190 IP, 14-8, 153 K, 3.55 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 853
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

NY Yankees at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(1:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(4:05 pm)
Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(7:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(7:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(9:05 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact