Tigers trade prospects for Kyle Farnsworth - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers trade prospects for Kyle Farnsworth

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers trade prospects for Kyle Farnsworth

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:19 pm

Sporting News has learned that the team has acquired right-handed reliever Kyle Farnsworth from the Chicago Cubs for three minor-leaguers.
In exchange for the veteran reliever, the Tigers will send the Cubs right-hander Roberto Novoa, who went 1-1 with a 5.57 ERA in 16 big-league appearances in 2004, infielder Scott Moore and outfielder Clarence (Bo) Flowers.

Farnsworth joins a bullpen that already includes closer Troy Percival, who signed with the team as a free agent earlier this off-season, and setup man Ugueth Urbina, giving the team multiple late-inning options.

Farnsworth appeared in 72 games last year for the Cubs, going 4-5 with a 4.73 ERA.

The move comes just days after the Tigers added a potentially big bat to the roster, signing Magglio Ordonez to a five-year, $75 million contract. Ordonez is a career .307 hitter with 187 home runs, but missed most of last season with a knee injury.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:54 pm

I'm not the biggest Farnsworth fan out there, so I can only hope he can keep that big fastball under control. Novoa looked to be a decent relief prospect, but I can live with losing him. Scott Moore was a first rounder a few years ago, but has proven to strike out at ridiculous rates, but he does have some good power. Maybe they can work his problems out over there because he looked like a bust over here. And, Clarence Flowers, I've never even heard of him.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cmchampa2 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:08 am

Love it. Farnsworth, at worst, is a decent set-up guy. The staff, top to bottom, is comparable to anybody's. The talk has been about what a great line-up there might be, but the pitching staff might be the strength. If ANY of the young relievers come through (Colyer, German, Rodney), the bullpen will be ridiculous with Walker, Farnsworth, and those other two.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:45 pm

I like this trade. It helps to strengthen the weakest part of the team. Farnsworth looks to be what Anderson was, a flakey, hard throwing, erratic reliever. Difference being that he won't have to try to close games. Even with his hot or cold history, the Tigers' pen has been so awfull that his addition can only help.

Novoa is the only player of any note in this deal, IMO. So they haven't exactly sacrificed the future in this deal. What puzzles me is how Kluck is going to handle these pitchers. He seems to like junk ballers and has helped Maroth greatly. But look what happened to Bonderman. He was struggling until they told him to forget trying to pitch like Kluck wanted him to and just throw his game. Bam! a star in the making, if his finish is a sign of anything. Should be interesting.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:27 pm

I made a note in my previous post that Moore is someone who could turn things around and he's off to a nice start:

Scott Moore, 2002 8th overall pick now playing 3B for the High A Daytona Cubs:
61 ABs, 9 XBH, 5 HR, 13 RBI, 13/10 BB/K ratio, 3 SB, .295 AVG, 6 Errors
He might finally be coming around offensively. The defense has been subpar, but the Tigers experimented with him in the outfield when they still had him so he might be a little rusty.

I've been checking in on him since the season began because I felt he was the type of guy who might turn things around as I noted in my earlier post, and he's off to a good start. He's shown power in the past, but the K's killed him.

Don't make too much of this posting, but it's always fun to see what happens to the players who everyone seems to have given up on.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers