Farnsworth traded to Detroit for prospects... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Farnsworth traded to Detroit for prospects...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:35 am

How could they only be slightly worse if they lost Alou, who put up better numbers last year that players like Adam Dunn. Are you saying if they had done in the outfield they'd be slightly worse if they lost him? Alou had the sixth most homeruns for an outfielder in the major leagues. Two years ago that player was Manny Ramirez. Would the Red Sox have won the World Series last year without Manny? No. Your logic makes no sense. You lose 74 homeruns and you are only slightly worse? Try immensely worse. They roster if far weaker this season than last season and there's no way Hairston and Burnitz make up that production...to believe that would be crazy. Let's be hypothetical here and pretend Burnitz has as good a year this year as he did last year, even though he is no longer in Colorado. That means they still lose 2 homeruns and 12 runs scored compared to Alou. The chances Burnitz even hovers close to the numbers he had in Colorado is a nice 0%. Sammy Sosa put up numbers nearly identical to Chipper Jones. Would the Braves be better off without Chipper? No, they'd be way worse.

It's sad that the Cubs chose Dusty Baker over the heart and soul of their team the last ten years.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby LBJackal » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:42 am

davidmarver wrote:Alou had the sixth most homeruns for an outfielder in the major leagues. Two years ago that player was Manny Ramirez. Would the Red Sox have won the World Series last year without Manny? No. Your logic makes no sense.


Wow... and my logic makes no sense.... :-°
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby davidmarver » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:47 am

LBJackal wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Alou had the sixth most homeruns for an outfielder in the major leagues. Two years ago that player was Manny Ramirez. Would the Red Sox have won the World Series last year without Manny? No. Your logic makes no sense.


Wow... and my logic makes no sense.... :-°


Answer this: how could the Cubs possibly be slightly worse without Alou, Sosa, and Clement? You said Sosa and Alou were bad players although they had the most combined homeruns for an outfield tandem in the majors last year. Who cares if they would have had to overpay for Matt Clement? Not having him makes their team worse no matter how much money they save.

And I shouldn't have said your logic makes no sense, because you havn't exhibited any logic in your argument other than "those two are bad and clement is overpaid".
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby LBJackal » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:56 am

I've said enough times what I think of the situation in Chicago, right here in this thread. Read through it if you want, I'm not wasting more time talking to you.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:18 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:Complain all you will about Farnsworth, but how have the Cubs improved an already shaky pen by subtracting from it? Is JoBo's health so solid that they can count on him in the setup pool (or even sliding back in as closer :-o)?
I can't see Oakland dealing Dotel right now ... isn't his contract still favorable to their shallow pockets? And as far as going after Urbina ... I can see it at midseason, but they just made a deal with Detroit and he wasn't part of it. I'm missing the logic.


Farnsworth wasn't exactly a stable foundation in the pen anyway, so getting rid of him may not improve their bullpen but I don't think it hurt them either.
Image
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 4901
(Past Year: 97)
Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dubuque

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:34 pm

The reason Benitez is labeled a bad closer isnt because of his stats. Its because he had a history of blowing saves in crucial situations - something that doesnt really express itself in the final tallies. He's a good closer, but I can think of about 15 other closers Id rate ahead of him in important situations.

And finally, you guys can use the addition by subtration theory all you want - good luck with that. We just got a 28-29 yo 100+mph flamethrower with control issues for a 25yo prospect who hits the low 90s on his fastball and has control issues and was never projected to be anything more than a setup man - one day - possibly.

But, somehow the Cubs got the better deal? ;-7
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:18 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: We just got a 28-29 yo 100+mph flamethrower with control issues for a 25yo prospect who hits the low 90s on his fastball and has control issues and was never projected to be anything more than a setup man - one day - possibly.


Sounds like Billy Koch - you could have gotten Billy for the guy that throws the bags of peanuts in the stands.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19486
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:38 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:The reason Benitez is labeled a bad closer isnt because of his stats. Its because he had a history of blowing saves in crucial situations - something that doesnt really express itself in the final tallies. He's a good closer, but I can think of about 15 other closers Id rate ahead of him in important situations.

And finally, you guys can use the addition by subtration theory all you want - good luck with that. We just got a 28-29 yo 100+mph flamethrower with control issues for a 25yo prospect who hits the low 90s on his fastball and has control issues and was never projected to be anything more than a setup man - one day - possibly.

But, somehow the Cubs got the better deal? ;-7

That's very true and a good way to look at it for Tigers fans. I don't like Farnsworth (basically Matt Anderson before he hurt himself throwing an octopus) but it's a pretty low risk move.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3477
Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:39 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote: We just got a 28-29 yo 100+mph flamethrower with control issues for a 25yo prospect who hits the low 90s on his fastball and has control issues and was never projected to be anything more than a setup man - one day - possibly.


Sounds like Billy Koch - you could have gotten Billy for the guy that throws the bags of peanuts in the stands.

but we'll never trade opera singing hot dog man
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3477
Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby jskidder » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:57 pm

100 mph fastball or not, i'm happy to be rid of farnsworth. he's a complete headcase with a major cocaine problem. i personally saw him out after nearly every single home game until 4am. the dude has major issues and i'm glad he won't be a cub when it hits the fan. plus, i have faith that hendry has another move or 2 up his sleeve...
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 385
Joined: 13 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], NZ Eff and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Apr. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(2:20 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Miami at Miami
(7:08 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Seattle
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact