Farnsworth traded to Detroit for prospects... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Farnsworth traded to Detroit for prospects...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:24 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:hmmmm.....

"Novoa split time between Detroit and Double-A Erie in 2004. In 16 games with the Tigers, the right-hander was 1-1 with a 5.57 ERA."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1987747 [/i]

thats has to be one of the worst reporting jobs Ive seen this week. He pitched in double-A Lake Erie for the vast majority of the yr, but some "reporter" from AP listed his 21 inning in Detroit as representation for what he did last yr. ;-7

If that joker dug just a little bit deeper he could have told you what our friends at MLB.com came up with:

Novoa projected to battle for a long relief spot in Detroit but was expected to open the season at Triple-A Toledo. The 25-year-old anchored the bullpen at Double-A Erie with a dominant season, posting a 7-0 record with a 2.96 ERA and four saves in 41 appearances. He limited opponents to 63 hits and 18 walks in 79 innings. He gave up 25 hits in 21 innings to go with a 1-1 record and 5.57 ERA in two late-season stints in the Majors.

Makes that 21 innings that the AP reporter wrote about seem a little off, huh?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:32 pm

His K/BB was only 3 as a RP in AA, while 23 years old. It doesn't mean he isn't good, but that isn't anything special. There is something to be said for qualitative scouting but I havn't seen much in the way of that to sway me to think he's better than your average joe.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:14 pm

[quote="Cornbread Maxwell"][quote="AcidRock23"]
Novoa projected to battle for a long relief spot in Detroit but was expected to open the season at Triple-A Toledo. The 25-year-old anchored the bullpen at Double-A Erie with a dominant season, posting a 7-0 record with a 2.96 ERA and four saves in 41 appearances. He limited opponents to 63 hits and 18 walks in 79 innings. He gave up 25 hits in 21 innings to go with a 1-1 record and 5.57 ERA in two late-season stints in the Majors.

[quote]

That's certainly more encouraging! Thanks for the data! Maybe the low K/BB is a hint of a groundballer which I'd have to think would be a good thing w/ the shaggy grass at Wrigley.

Good luck w/ Farnsworth. When he's on, he can be borderline unhittable unfortunately, last year he seemed to rely too much on trying to clip corners with his largely ineffective breaking balls and then 'catch up' w/ heaters and pitched from behind in the count too much. And beat up a perfectly nice fan!! heh heh heh.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:32 pm

I guess this is an ok deal for the Tigers. I've never been a big Farnsworth fan, but hopefully he can pitch above my expectations. While he has not shown too much in the minors, Scott Moore was our 1st rounder just a few years back. He's got some very good power, but strikes out at a ridiculous rate. Maybe going to another organization will do him some good.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:32 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:CubsCubsCubsCubsCubsCubsCubsCubsCubs
Tigers
CubsCubsCubsCubsCubsCubsCubsCubsCubs

Just for shites and giggles I went back through this thread and counted up all the posts having to deal with the Cubs as the central topic and the ones that had to do with the Tigers.
28-2. Seriously. And no more than two of those posts that centered around the Cubs talked about Novoa.

What team got the bigger name again?

I guess I just cant escape the Redsux/Yankmes/SCrubs overflow regardless of what happens.

28-2. :-t
Honestly, Cornbread, quit whining. The Cubs and who they got and got rid of is much more important then the subpar relievers the Tigers got. Anyways, without knowing much about the prospects, I would say this deal is a push at best. Yeah, Farnsworth really sucks now, but he did have that one good year I believe in 02 where he was a real good setup man. I think this is a semirebuilding year for the Cubs because they had so many old players. Remember, they have Brownlie and Guzman sitting in the minors, ready to come up at any moment to replace Rusch. (Not Guzman yet) Brownlie is probably MLB ready. But, this offseason for the Cubs has been awful, if they want to win this year. But getting out from under Alou and Sosas contract is a good thing in the long run. Remember, Prior, Wood, and Zambrano are young, and they can wait another year to get more talent. I wish they had tried to win this year, though.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:39 pm

As long as this trade is just getting minor leaguers to deal for a proven closer such as Dotel or Uggie I have no problems with it.
Farnsworth is as inconsistant as can be, looks great at some points, and looks horrible at others. If he can ever consistantly throw strikes he could be a pretty good MLB closer...
ERA by month...
May- 5.4 in 12 G
June- 2.25 in 14 G
July- 3.6 in 16G
August- 1.93 in 12G
September- 19.29 in 11G
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dmville » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:24 pm

WittyC wrote:Let's not forget, the job doesn't belong to Rusch yet. He had a good year as a fill-in, but the guy they've been grooming to make the jump is Sergio Garcia. He hasn't been good in the majors so far, but I'd wager that the Cubs will give him a shot in ST.

Witty,

Now that would be a new low if the Cubs got a Pro golfer for SP. Hopefully you meant Sergio Mitre, who they are high on. Personally, to me, he looked like a deer in the headlights last year but I guess most do at that point of their career.

I don't think the cubs could have done anything better at the time about Sosa. If they could have dumped him earlier maybe they get a better FA OF, but every GM in the league knew they were dumping him and they just held the Cubs hostage IMO.

I'm mixed on Clement leaving. His only drawback is that he is an extremely slow working pitcher and really kills any offensive adrenaline for his team from one inning to the next. That;s why he doesn't get the run support. If the Cubs ever had a real coaching staff they might have quickened him up a little and then he'd be worth the $$$ I think.

As for Farnsworth, I had the pleasure of sitting in Busch as a Cub fan last summer and watching him walk 4 Cardinals in a row in the bottom of 9. I am pretty sure none of these prospects from Det are going to do that so I have no problem w this deal. If only the coulda dealt Dusty to the Tigers :-o
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:52 pm

Mustangs989 wrote: As long as this trade is just getting minor leaguers to deal for a proven closer such as Dotel or Uggie I have no problems with it.

Dotel is no more a proven closer than two guys the Cubs already have on their books - Borowski and Hawkins.

Also, no one is seriously going to go after Urbina and his high price tag at the moment, with all the uncertainty still surrounding his private life.

With the strength of their SP rotation, and two high calibre set up guys like Borowski and Hawkins to pitch the 7th and 8th if needed, I really do think the Cubs are more than happy to give Dempster a crack in that role. With the pressure off him, I'm also reasonably confident he will turn out to be a good option.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:36 am

Thanks for the numbers Mustangs.

I'm not really looking at any of these guys for FBB purposes but that explains why Farnsworth is so frustrating. When he's 'on', he's as good as anybody and, when he's 'off', he's as bad as anybody. Totally unreliable and that makes him impossible to manage and perhaps a bit difficult to hang out with? He certainly has exhibited some anger issues, beating up that fan and all that....

The key to the Cubs landing Urbina would be to get to the kidnappers first and get his mom from them. Hendry is crafty but in a nice way so I don't think he'd really stoop that low, jeez, 4 million to open talks w/ a reliever (sic?)...hmmm.....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby cmchampa2 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:46 am

"Honestly, Cornbread, quit whining. The Cubs and who they got and got rid of is much more important then the subpar relievers the Tigers got."

Importance is opinion, but I'd bet that Cornbread knows what the title of this thread is.

Forget what you've seen from Detroit. The personnel is in place for a run at the Central in 2005. If it's close at all, Detroit is in a good spot to trade for a top-tier pitcher mid-season, if one is looking to move. Farnsworth (thankfully) won't be asked to carry the bullpen load. Cubs fans better hope that the starters are good enough to win without much help defensively or from their bullpen. Fortunately for them, they might just be that good. I don't see what the Cubs are doing here, they must be close to getting someone, ANYone, for their bullpen.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers