Gagne worth a second rounder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne worth a second rounder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gagne worth a second rounder?

Postby Ed Whitson » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:24 am

My league counts traditional 5x5 league categories plus OBP, Total Bases, and Save Percentage, with the pitching categories being worth 1.25 points each. Hitting worth 1 point each. With the extra pitching category only getting contributions from closers, is Gagne an easy second round pick or should I just go all offense due to the 7 total offensive categories?
Ed Whitson
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:28 am

I would think he could be worth that but is there anyway to check out what he earned last year under your current rules compared to other closers?

I tend to like to get closers later in the draft like around the 7th round or so.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:59 am

Gagne is one of the few closers worth taking relatively early, but unless your points system heavily favors closers, 2nd round seems too early for him. Plus, he showed he was semi-human in the second half last year, which dampers his future value a bit.

I'd say mid-3rd at the earliest. The closer position is deep this year, IMO, with a number of young potential hotshots, guys in their prime, and seasoned veterans all likely to post very solid numbers next year. Personally, I'd let someone else grab Gagne that early and try to grab guys like Nathan, Rivera, and Wagner a few rounds later; guys like Dotel, Izzy, and Hoffmann a few rounds after that; and grab a few undervalued guys like Kolb in the later rounds.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Jury » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:56 pm

There will always be people who take Gagne as early as the second round (or even higher), but no closer is worth that much in my opinion. They simply don't pitch enough innings to have second round impact on your totals at the end of the year.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby duckbillgates » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:41 am

Based on your league configuration, I say Gagne is definitely worth a second rounder.
Save percentage is a new one on me, but sounds like Gagne would be dominant in that. And the boost you give to pitching cats make it make even more sense.
Given his 50+ save, 130+ strikeout potential, plus his solid ratios and, most importantly, his consistency, he would be worth taking.
Yes, closers are a dime a dozen, but that is what make the dominant, dependable ones more worthwhile.
In your league, Gagne and a solid second closer can win you saves and save percentage, and he'll be in the top three or so in reliever strikeouts.
If you don't think 130 Ks from a closer is an important number, you aren't paying attention.
So, i'll be in the minority here and vote yes.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jeff926 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:48 am

i took gagne with the last pick of the second round in a 12 team league, and i was very happy with that. it might have been the first pick of the 3rd (snake draft), but nonetheless i think he is worth the pick. he not only helps with saves, but his k's are good, and his whip is awesome too.
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:54 am

I'm a die hard Giants fan. Born to hate the Dodgers. But from my experience if you don't take Gagne, some one else will. More than likely before your next pick.

He is the guy that poses the question ' are closers Cy Young worthy'.
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:43 am

I dont like to take closers early.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers