Why do most mocks die in the middle rounds? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do most mocks die in the middle rounds?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby io » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:44 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
trevisc wrote:so here is an idea. Why don't you guys take one of the mock drafts that have finished in the 15th round and recruit some hardcore guys like yourself to finish it off? That way you can just draft 15 rounds but it would be like a 30 round draft full of deep players.

:-? ...interesting idea.... :-)

I too think the most important rounds are the later ones...those are the rounds where I want to see people going... :-)

i like that idea.... wkelly, if you want to start a mock draft that picks up where old ones left off... i'd be interested
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrimeDog » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:46 pm

I'd be in also ;-D
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:18 pm

I'd be interested, too.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Mugwump » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:40 am

I hear ya. I was involved in the "points mock draft" in the cafe and it died in the 13th rd. It was aggravating b/c I am in a keeper too. We keep min 6 & max 10, so those later rounds have more relevance for me as well. It was frustrating to keep checking in and seeing people continually miss their picks and taking almost a month to draft a complete round. Thanks to those that did stick with it! ;-D
I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego, but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD at noon. I thought it was an off-day. At 1pm, my girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:08 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Because it is obviously human nature to not be overly concerned with bench players or marginal scrubs. After the first 100-120 players, there is zero consensus on anyone. Most serious owners do not bother ranking past 120-150 overall and go to a positional rank sheet with dollar values at that point. Later rounds is fill in positionally and fliers and medicority at best. Yes it is important, but for Mock purposes it really is meaningless as there is no way of knowing whether Griffey in the 17th was too early or too late for instance as your projections and mine could be world's apart.

I suppose that's true if you think the purpose of the mocks is to see how projections work. But, really I'm more interested in looking at drafting strategies to see if the guys that I think have targeted for a certain round will really be there or not. That's the real value of the mock to me. Do I need to pull that trigger on the catcher in round 13 or can I hang until 16?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:03 pm

Main reason I won't ever do mocks -- People quit & too time consuming.

Mock drafts by other people are available all over the web.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:09 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Because it is obviously human nature to not be overly concerned with bench players or marginal scrubs. After the first 100-120 players, there is zero consensus on anyone. Most serious owners do not bother ranking past 120-150 overall and go to a positional rank sheet with dollar values at that point. Later rounds is fill in positionally and fliers and medicority at best. Yes it is important, but for Mock purposes it really is meaningless as there is no way of knowing whether Griffey in the 17th was too early or too late for instance as your projections and mine could be world's apart.

I also wanted to tag in that in a keeper league, the later rounds is where good scouting on up and coming players happens, so it's not simply bench players and marginal scrubs. A good contrast is between the team that won my league last year and the team that finished near the bottom. After the top 10 (players 1-160 in my league), here's a sample of picks:

Round 11-13, Winners: Peavy Losers: Bengie Molina
Round 14-16, Winners: Lidge Losers: Todd Walker
Rounds 17-19, Winners: Harden Losers: Sean Burroughs
Rounds 20-22: Winners: VMart Losers: Aaron Harang
Rounds 23-25: Winners: Keith Ginter Losers: Jose mesa

There was a real difference between those two teams not just in the contributions they got last year, but in what they built for this year. And that wasn't just luck. That was one guy who did his homework, and another who did not.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby wkelly91 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:18 pm

Agnes:

You are right on ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager