Eddie Guardado? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eddie Guardado?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eddie Guardado?

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:17 pm

What kind of year does everyone expect from Eddie Guardado? Is his shoulder sound, because the Mariners front office picked up his option, and have claimed he is there guy, and are in noway looking to acquire a closer.. So I need your expert opinions, please.. Thank you ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Carey Saders » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:18 pm

I think he's a solid pick. Should approach 40 saves.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:23 pm

The good thing about him is you can get him late in your draft, the bad thing is the injury situation. If he slides past the 13th round in my draft I will take the risk, because the 35-40 save possibility is there with a healthy Guardado.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:00 pm

I just picked him as my #1 closer in the 11th round of a 16 team league as the 170th overall pick. I dont like him being my #1 closer, but he is a great value where I got him, IMO. I was forced into missing a couple closer runs, so thats why I only have him so far.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:08 pm

If he is healthy we all know what kind of closer he can be...but health is going to be a big issue for him this year...rehabing from a torn rotator cuff and not opting for surgery last year could prove to be the wrong move.... :-/

I look for JJ Putz and Shiggy to pick up a few of his saves along the way.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:13 pm

I don't like him at all this year, for the reason DHC enumerated. If he does blow out the shoulder, though, it'll be all Putz ... Shiggy looked like toast last summer.

(Now, if Soriano makes a miraculous return from Tommy John and the M's are utterly out of it after the break ...)
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:37 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:If he is healthy we all know what kind of closer he can be...but health is going to be a big issue for him this year...rehabing from a torn rotator cuff and not opting for surgery last year could prove to be the wrong move.... :-/

I look for JJ Putz and Shiggy to pick up a few of his saves along the way.... :-)

So the Mariners front office are just idiots, and handed out all that money, because he is hurt? that doesn't make any sense... :-?
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:43 pm

Purple Haze wrote:
DieHardCubbie wrote:If he is healthy we all know what kind of closer he can be...but health is going to be a big issue for him this year...rehabing from a torn rotator cuff and not opting for surgery last year could prove to be the wrong move.... :-/

So the Mariners front office are just idiots, and handed out all that money, because he is hurt? that doesn't make any sense... :-?

It was in his contract that the team and him both had options for the 2005 season....the team opted not to pick up his contract...but he enacted the option....not a whole lot the front office could do... :-/
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:50 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
Purple Haze wrote:

It was in his contract that the team and him both had options for the 2005 season....the team opted not to pick up his contract...but he enacted the option....not a whole lot the front office could do... :-/

Ahhhhh..Very True..Did miss that part of the option.Thanks..still this is what the front ofice has to say about the situation:
Eddie Guardado is leaning toward exercising his player option to stay with the Mariners for $4.5 million in 2005.
"On a scale of 1-10 in terms of leaning toward coming back, right now I'm about a 7," Guardado said. Publically, the Mariners are saying they hope he does exercise the option. "We hope he picks up his option," GM Bill Bavasi said. "We explained everything, that we clearly want him to stay. We're shopping for starters and for run production, not for closers."

Guess they wouldn't publicly come out and dog the guy, unless they really just didn't like him as a person... So maybe this isn't such a vote of confidence, or is it? :-?
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nikku88 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:33 pm

IIRC, if both the M's and Guardada picked up their options, he would have got 6 million, with only Guardado it's 4.5 about.
He's risky cause of the injury factor, but if healthy he should be a steal. He pitched really well last year until the last few weeks when we now know he was injured.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers