Maggs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maggs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby riverrat » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:02 pm

tvv44, why dont we just pencil him in in the 7th round of our mock 1 draft for you?
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:08 pm

grammysboy wrote:Alright, now that we have all you Tiger fans here, what's going to happen to Uggie? I assume Percival is the new closer. Does that make Urbina the "set-up" man? What has happened with his mother?

Apparantly no one in the Tigers organization has been communicating with Uggey :-t
Apparantly Uggey will actually show up early for ST and is fully expecting to be ready for openning day. ;-D
Apparantly the kidnappers have made more contacts with the police and have released their demands for Uggey's mom. :-/
Not sure about the trade, although it does make sense to move him by the trade deadline. DD has made no secret that he can be dealt for the right price. - its nice to have such a high demand surplus player B-)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jecarney64 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:34 pm

I kept him as a last keeper (we can keep up to 9 players). I had a bit of hard time, but I felt his upside was more than my some other choices, such as Joe Randa, Adam Kennedy or Rheal Cormier.

Although you are scaring me riverrat (1 HR in 135 AB)!
jecarney64
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tvv44 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:41 pm

tvv44, why dont we just pencil him in in the 7th round of our mock 1 draft for you?

Sounds good to me riverrat. As long as you don't take him before me.
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:41 pm

The only news I've heard about Ugie is that he has been throwing and will be there when pitchers are due to report. The word is that he will be the set up guy and will spell Percival so as not to wear him out.

And don't worry too much about Maggs's HR numbers at Comerica National Park, he isn't going to have to face Tiger pitching :-b
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:06 pm

I'll think about taking him in the double digit rounds. No way before round 10. His numbers aren't going to be good enough to justify the risk. They are coming down from his White Sox days, and the injury scares me. I think he was still on crutches in September :-o .
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GSes » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 pm

mags will be fine. I highly doubt the Tigers would give him that contract unless they were confident in his abilities.

I fully expect magglio to put up

110 Runs
32 HR
110 RBI
310 avg

am i crazy, u might think i am, but imo mags will be just fine, and you can all pass him up in the draft, I will gladly steal him in the 3rd round

you see this is why i win my leages every year.......you people's reluctance to take guys who were hurt the year before.

you guys go ahead and take all the super studs from 2004...........who will NOT repeat in 2005 and I will take the guys like Mags, Mussina, Prior, Wood, Halladay, Nomar ETC.....cuz they are superstars who were hurt last season and are looking to bouncer back to their normal form in 2005 ;-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:50 pm

GSes wrote:mags will be fine. I highly doubt the Tigers would give him that contract unless they were confident in his abilities.

110 Runs
32 HR
110 RBI
310 avg

am i crazy, u might think i am, but imo mags will be just fine, and you can all pass him up in the draft, I will gladly steal him in the 3rd round

you see this is why i win my leages every year.......you people's reluctance to take guys who were hurt the year before.

you guys go ahead and take all the super studs from 2004...........who will NOT repeat in 2005 and I will take the guys like Mags, Mussina, Prior, Wood, Halladay, Nomar ETC.....cuz they are superstars who were hurt last season and are looking to bouncer back to their normal form in 2005 ;-D
You can't think hes going to hit as many HR leaving one of the best HR parks in the country? He should have somewhere between 25-30. More than likely runs and RBIs could be down also, due to the switch in park. And thats even if he plays the whole season. You take Mags in the third round, you just got suckered because you could have had him 3 or 4 rounds later, and instead of getting a guy whose been a good performer the past few years you pick a guy you could have gotten much later who is a huge risk. What if he does screw up the knee? 3rd round pick right down the tubes. What should have been a 6th or 7th round pick.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: ...

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:24 am

riverrat wrote:U boys seem to have forgotten an earlier post.

1 Hr in 135 career at bats. Say it again with me.
1 Hr in 135 career at bats.
1 Hr in 135 career at bats.

Keep saying it 'till it sinks in.

Straight from sportsline

If the knee doesn't scare you away from drafting him, his numbers at Comerica might. In 135 career at-bats, he has only one home run, 13 RBI and a .259 average. But don't forget the fences were much deeper only a couple seasons ago. Left center moved in 25 feet making the park friendlier to right-handed hitters like Ordonez. In 2003, the last time he played at Comerica, he hit .394 (13-for-33) in nine games, although he did not register a home run.

There's no doubting his talent -- in the five years before his injury-shortened 2004 campaign, he averaged 32 home runs and 118 RBI. The career .307 hitter should step right into the heart of the Tigers' batting order as he continues to battle the AL Central division.

Match or top his pre-injury numbers? I would say very unlikely. However 1HR in 135 career AB's is a bit misleading statistic. A healthy Magglio should still top 25HR.

Low risk for the Tigers and I think it is a good signing for them. If he is really still hurt that bad they can void his contract.

High risk for fantasy teams. Even if his bat is back 100% you just cant expect him to run like he used to.

I would still gamble on that much upside around the 10th round or later in 12 team leagues depending on how my draft had gone so far.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GSes » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:30 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
GSes wrote:mags will be fine. I highly doubt the Tigers would give him that contract unless they were confident in his abilities.

110 Runs
32 HR
110 RBI
310 avg

You can't think hes going to hit as many HR leaving one of the best HR parks in the country? He should have somewhere between 25-30. More than likely runs and RBIs could be down also, due to the switch in park. And thats even if he plays the whole season. You take Mags in the third round, you just got suckered because you could have had him 3 or 4 rounds later, and instead of getting a guy whose been a good performer the past few years you pick a guy you could have gotten much later who is a huge risk. What if he does screw up the knee? 3rd round pick right down the tubes. What should have been a 6th or 7th round pick.

sigh, that is such an overrated stat. He leaving camerica for detroit so his homers are going to go way down???? only 1HR in 135 ab's therE???

You realise how stupid that stat is? Gary Sheffield left Atlanta for New York last season and every1 said his homers would go down, tthey didnt

I say this EVERY YEAR on this site. JUSt because a guy leaves his team for a new team and the new park is bigger then the old one, DOES NOT MEAN he is going to hit way less home runs, so stupid. Do you not understand? that players hit home runs NOT because they play in a small park (this exludes colorado obviously) but the hit the HR's BECAUSE THEY HAVE SOMETHING CALLED TALENT??

ok so i will say it again, mags is not going to be around in the 6-8 round. your nuts.

if you pass on him after the third round, and let some one else grab him (me) your going to be greatly sorry.

I love this every year, the guy who tells me im a sucker for taking some1 who had an injury filled year the year before, then they have great seasons.

Examples
I picked Randy Johnson last season in the 2nd round
I pikced Vlad in the top 5 last season

this year is no diffrent. and you stat of his 1hr in 135 ab's in det is pretty dumb imo. the park in detroit is no petco or safeco, it is more of a neutral park.

a healthy mags will put up his usual

105 runs
32 hr
110 rbi
315 avg

count on it.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers