Maggs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maggs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CrimeDog » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:50 pm

He's not worth an early gamble but I'd say anything after round 6 is worth the risk
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:54 pm

I agree with the majority here that he's a huge risk. Personally, I wouldn't think of him before round 10. I'd let someone else take him in rounds 6-9. 8-o Actually, as I think about this as I type, I'm not really sure I would take the risk on him at all this year. :-o
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nuclear29 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:58 pm

How do you guys feel about him as a keeper?
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Maggs

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:07 pm

Nat Uralice wrote: He has "bone marrow edema", which is a type of arthritis.

To be correct it is not arthritis but a precursor to arthritis. Which means he is likely to have arthritis in that knee in the future.

I the press conference today Maggs claimed to be at about %70 and expects to be ready for the season. I don't see his HR production being the same, but he will have plenty of chances to drive in runs in that line-up. I would gladly spend a lower mid-round pick on him.

Hopefully the Tigers will catch a break on him and the franchise will turn things around.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Maggs

Postby giants8307 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:56 am

moochman wrote:
Nat Uralice wrote: He has "bone marrow edema", which is a type of arthritis.

To be correct it is not arthritis but a precursor to arthritis. Which means he is likely to have arthritis in that knee in the future.

I the press conference today Maggs claimed to be at about %70 and expects to be ready for the season. I don't see his HR production being the same, but he will have plenty of chances to drive in runs in that line-up. I would gladly spend a lower mid-round pick on him.

Hopefully the Tigers will catch a break on him and the franchise will turn things around.

Straight from my physiology book:

Edema- "The accumulation of fluid in the inerstitial space." This is most commonly seen in the form of pulmonary edema, where repiration is affected. Bone marrow, of course, develops red blood cells. So I would surmise that this would eventually compromise his body's ability to carry O2 and CO2 to the right places. But the latter is just one science dork's theory. Any doctors in the house?
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:57 am

What you guys are forgetting is that he is in the AL and he can always DH if he's needed. If his knees get progressvely worse then he'll just be another Edgar Martinez which isn't half bad.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:35 am

trevisc wrote:What you guys are forgetting is that he is in the AL and he can always DH if he's needed. If his knees get progressvely worse then he'll just be another Edgar Martinez which isn't half bad.

very true. And the Tigers are now stuffed with OFers who can breath him. They have a ton of flexibility right now between 1B (Pena, DY), DH (DY, White, Monroe, Maggs), and OF (too numerous to list).

I do want to reiterrate that the park effect IS going to hurt Maggs power numbers. I would be SHOCKED to see him hit over 30 playing half his games in a park like the Copa that is very unforgiving to RH power hitters. Also - you have to also temper his past stats as he played half his games before in a park known as one of the best hitters parks in the AL. Between going from a hitters park to playing in a park notorious for hurting RH power...

You gotta take that into consideration - to expect numbers like he had as a White Sox would be a mistake.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tvv44 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:23 am

very true. And the Tigers are now stuffed with OFers who can breath him. They have a ton of flexibility right now between 1B (Pena, DY), DH (DY, White, Monroe, Maggs), and OF (too numerous to list).

I do want to reiterrate that the park effect IS going to hurt Maggs power numbers. I would be SHOCKED to see him hit over 30 playing half his games in a park like the Copa that is very unforgiving to RH power hitters. Also - you have to also temper his past stats as he played half his games before in a park known as one of the best hitters parks in the AL. Between going from a hitters park to playing in a park notorious for hurting RH power...

You gotta take that into consideration - to expect numbers like he had as a White Sox would be a mistake.

You definitely know you Tigers Cornbread. I would like to think Maggs could have a healthy year, otherwise why would he have signed the contract that is void due to any DL time?

I am going to take Maggs in every draft possible. I wouldn't take him before the 7th round though. The guy I think who will benefit the most from Maggs being in Detroit is Carlos Guillen. Now that's a good SS that will be on my team in EVERY league!

GO TIGERS!
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby grammysboy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:15 pm

Alright, now that we have all you Tiger fans here, what's going to happen to Uggie? I assume Percival is the new closer. Does that make Urbina the "set-up" man? What has happened with his mother?
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby riverrat » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:59 pm

U boys seem to have forgotten an earlier post.

1 Hr in 135 career at bats. Say it again with me.
1 Hr in 135 career at bats.
1 Hr in 135 career at bats.

Keep saying it 'till it sinks in.
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers