Maggs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maggs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maggs

Postby Nat Uralice » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:29 pm

A lot of people seem to expect Magglio to just fall right back into form after a down year. Not me, I wouldn't touch this guy untill the late mid/back of the draft. He has "bone marrow edema", which is a type of arthritis. His knee didn't break, and he didn't tear a ligament which would get fixed. This is a condition that elderly people get. Their walking ability decreases continuously until it hurts to walk (which is why most of them have canes or walkers). Maggs refused to get a physical knowing some chumps would make him happy. This guy is an injury waiting to happen. He went first 3 rounds of one draft I did, don't make that mistake.
Can't worry about tomorrow's pain tonight.
Nat Uralice
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Maggs

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:38 pm

Nat Uralice wrote:A lot of people seem to expect Magglio to just fall right back into form after a down year. Not me, I wouldn't touch this guy untill the late mid/back of the draft. He has "bone marrow edema", which is a type of arthritis. His knee didn't break, and he didn't tear a ligament which would get fixed. This is a condition that elderly people get. Their walking ability decreases continuously until it hurts to walk (which is why most of them have canes or walkers). Maggs refused to get a physical knowing some chumps would make him happy. This guy is an injury waiting to happen. He went first 3 rounds of one draft I did, don't make that mistake.

Yup... I still don't really understand the medical condition since it is being kept confidential. Best thing to do is let someone else take a gamble that early. He is just not worth the risk IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:39 pm

I don't know much about the medical condition either...but his reluctance to take a physical says a LOT to me. I won't be touching him unless it's just a ridiculous value pick.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:44 pm

I am steering clear of him. I usually try to avoid injured players at all costs, particularly when it is a mysterious, boogie-man type of injury like this sucker.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:46 pm

slomo007 wrote:I don't know much about the medical condition either...but his reluctance to take a physical says a LOT to me. I won't be touching him unless it's just a ridiculous value pick.

he took and passed his physical in Detroit.

I think you mean "workout", right? he didnt workout for anyone.His medical records were available to interested parties. It made sense that he didnt workout since he wasnt 100% anyway - the Tigers signed him knowing he would need amonth or so before he's 100%.

If he does have lingering knee issues which makes him miss time, the Tigers will just void the contract anyway - I dont really see the risk.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:48 pm

I am probably not going to draft him high either. He is of course an injury risk, and his power numbers should also decrease in the Copa. I can see 25-28RHs, .300 if he is fully healthy all yr. Basically a mid to late rd pick based on health and ceiling.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:54 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I don't know much about the medical condition either...but his reluctance to take a physical says a LOT to me. I won't be touching him unless it's just a ridiculous value pick.

I think you mean "workout", right? he didnt workout for anyone.His medical records were available to interested parties. It made sense that he didnt workout since he wasnt 100% anyway - the Tigers signed him knowing he would need amonth or so before he's 100%.

If he does have lingering knee issues which makes him miss time, the Tigers will just void the contract anyway - I dont really see the risk.

I don't think it was bad for the Tigers to sign him considering that they are trying to build around some big name guys. But in fantasy baseball, unless you keep your entire roster, there is really no reason to draft/keep him unless he comes very cheap. As you mentioned, the park effect will lower his production and whatever speed he displayed before will be virtually gone.

Unless you can get him in the later rounds (doubful), I would stay far away.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:55 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

Yeah that's what I meant...sorry.

Just to clarify, there is a difference between what I would do in real life vs fantasy baseball. The Tigers made a good signing by using the injury clauses, but last I checked, we can't use those in fantasy. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:09 pm

Just to add on, I would not pick him w/ so many unknowns, not only has does he have boogieman disease recovery time but you also have to add in time since he was down for all of last year, unable to do much of anything as far as working out. Even if he 'comes back' IRL, he will be of little fantasy use and I hate having guys sit on my roster waiting to get better during the exciting early season waiver wire gonzoness.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Nat Uralice » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:36 pm

One other note of mention is Maggs has 1 homer career at Comerica (34 games, 135 ABs). I understand that's not a large sample, but it certainly doesn't bode well. A very scary player for fantasy this year.
Can't worry about tomorrow's pain tonight.
Nat Uralice
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers