Dynasty? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Dynasty?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:44 pm

Just for the record, I definitely think the Pats qualify as a dynasty...I'm not sure if I really made that clear or not.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:47 pm

One day, 10 or 20 years from now, we're going to say "Do remember football at the turn of the century?" and someone else will say "Oh yeah. When the Patriots were unstoppable." We do that with the Cowboys, the 49ers, and even the Bills. We will do that with the Patriots.

They're a dynasty because their success has gone on so long that they mark the era.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby free » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:02 pm

LBJackal wrote:How are the Pats not a dynasty? I don't like them, they're the Yankees of the NFL to me, but they're a dynasty.

And yes, the cap does make it a LOT harder to have a dynasty like this. The great players are spread out over all the teams, for the most part, not all bundled up on 2 rosters like in the NHL, MLB, and to some extent the NBA (Bulls and then Lakers).


While I wouldn't consider them the yankee's of the NFL for numerous reasons....easily DYNASTY.
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 841
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:38 pm

free wrote:
LBJackal wrote:How are the Pats not a dynasty? I don't like them, they're the Yankees of the NFL to me, but they're a dynasty.

And yes, the cap does make it a LOT harder to have a dynasty like this. The great players are spread out over all the teams, for the most part, not all bundled up on 2 rosters like in the NHL, MLB, and to some extent the NBA (Bulls and then Lakers).


While I wouldn't consider them the yankee's of the NFL for numerous reasons....easily DYNASTY.


Why are they the yankees of the NFL? To me that makes no sense...

win 15 or so more championships and then you can get put in the same catagory as the yankees...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:46 pm

Yankees of the NFL because I dislike them as a team, partially because of the success they have.... not because they're the most storied team in history. I meant personally they're football's equivalent of the Yankees. I love to hate both teams I guess you could say.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:53 pm

Yeah the Patriots are a dynasty, but they are easily the weakest when you compare them to past dynasties. I also fail to see how the salary cap and free agency has made what they've done any more impressive when every dynasty had different rules they had to abide by and the cap effects all teams equally anyway.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 850
Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uranus

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:12 pm

The cap doesn't affect all teams equally. More teams have access to top players, and the teams who have great revenues can't get all the players that they'd be able to afford without having the cap in place.

Do you think if there was a salary cap in baseball the Yankees and Sox would be 1-2 in the division every single year? Hell no. Of course it affects the top teams. And NE being a top team means they have to find ways to win without having all the most expensive players. And they did that this year without having Ty Law and Tyone Poole for mostly the entire season, and I believe Richard Seymour missed over a month, most of which was during the playoffs. People don't give the team in general credit, but they deserve it. They just aren't the gritty old school guys so they don't get respect. All they do is win.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:06 pm

LBJackal wrote:Yankees of the NFL because I dislike them as a team, partially because of the success they have.... not because they're the most storied team in history. I meant personally they're football's equivalent of the Yankees. I love to hate both teams I guess you could say.


I understand your analogy. Even though they are down now, I would have to say that the Cowboys are the Yankees of the NFL. Hated by many but easily the most bandwagoned NFL team. Usually, you either love them or hate them.

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Yeah the Patriots are a dynasty, but they are easily the weakest when you compare them to past dynasties. I also fail to see how the salary cap and free agency has made what they've done any more impressive when every dynasty had different rules they had to abide by and the cap effects all teams equally anyway.


Whether they are the weakest is debatable. I believe that we really need to wait until this run is over before ranking them with past dynasties. I don't see how you dismiss the salary cap and free agency, though. It is much harder to have sustained success in this era. Gone are the days when players actually took pride in staying with the same team. There is much more turnover now and it's not even close. Do you really think that in this era, the Steelers would have been able to hold onto their 4 HOF selections in 1974?? I highly doubt it. What about their 5 HOF players taken from 1969-1972?? What about White and Holmes?? There is no way that they could have kept all of that together for an extended time.

For the record, I would rank the dynasties like this for now:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Green Bay
3. San Francisco
4. Dallas
5. New England
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby free » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:22 pm

LBJackal wrote:The cap doesn't affect all teams equally. More teams have access to top players, and the teams who have great revenues can't get all the players that they'd be able to afford without having the cap in place.

Do you think if there was a salary cap in baseball the Yankees and Sox would be 1-2 in the division every single year? Hell no. Of course it affects the top teams. And NE being a top team means they have to find ways to win without having all the most expensive players. And they did that this year without having Ty Law and Tyone Poole for mostly the entire season, and I believe Richard Seymour missed over a month, most of which was during the playoffs. People don't give the team in general credit, but they deserve it. They just aren't the gritty old school guys so they don't get respect. All they do is win.




and this is what makes them a modern day NFL dynasty :-B
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 841
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:49 pm

free wrote:
LBJackal wrote:The cap doesn't affect all teams equally. More teams have access to top players, and the teams who have great revenues can't get all the players that they'd be able to afford without having the cap in place.

Do you think if there was a salary cap in baseball the Yankees and Sox would be 1-2 in the division every single year? Hell no. Of course it affects the top teams. And NE being a top team means they have to find ways to win without having all the most expensive players. And they did that this year without having Ty Law and Tyone Poole for mostly the entire season, and I believe Richard Seymour missed over a month, most of which was during the playoffs. People don't give the team in general credit, but they deserve it. They just aren't the gritty old school guys so they don't get respect. All they do is win.




and this is what makes them a modern day NFL dynasty :-B


Not on it's own but it is certainly more impressive to do it in an era of salary restraints and constant player movement.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact