BMRB Round 1 - The Offspring vs. Godsmack - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BMRB Round 1 - The Offspring vs. Godsmack

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Offspring or Godsmack

Poll ended at Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:34 pm

Offspring
65%
Godsmack
35%

Total votes : 26

BMRB Round 1 - The Offspring vs. Godsmack

Postby ironman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:34 pm

The Offspring Biography by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

The Offspring's metal-inflected punk became a popular sensation in 1994, selling over four million albums on an independent record label. While the group's credentials and approach follow the indie rock tradition of the '80s, sonically they sound more like an edgy, hard-driving heavy metal band, with their precise, pulsing power chords and Dexter Holland's flat vocals.

Featuring Holland, guitarist Kevin "Noodles" Wasserman, bassist Greg Kriesel, and drummer Ron Welty, the Offspring released their self-titled debut album in 1989. Four years later, their second album, Ignition, became an underground hit, setting the stage for the across-the-board success of 1994's Smash. The Nirvana sound-alike "Come Out and Play," the first single from the album, became an MTV hit in the summer of 1994, which paved the way to radio success. The band was played on both alternative and album rock stations, confirming their broad-based appeal. "Self Esteem," the second single, followed the same soft verse/loud chorus formula and stayed on the charts nearly twice as long as "Come Out and Play." The group got offers from major labels, yet they chose to stay with Epitaph. While they were able to play arenas in the U.S., their success didn't translate in foreign countries. Nevertheless, the band's popularity continued to grow in America, as "Gotta Get Away" became another radio/MTV hit in the beginning of 1995. The Offspring recorded a version of the Damned's "Smash It Up" for the Batman Forever soundtrack in the summer of that year; it kept the band on the charts as they worked on their third album.

Following a prolonged bidding war and much soul-searching, the Offspring decided to leave Epitaph Records in 1996 for Columbia Records. The move was particularly controversial within the punk community, and many artists on the Epitaph roster, including Pennywise and owner Brett Gurewitz, criticized the band. After much delay, the Offspring finally released their Columbia debut, Ixnay on the Hombre, in February of 1997. Expectation for the record was high and it did receive good reviews, but Ixnay on the Hombre failed to become a crossover hit on the level of Smash, and the group also lost a significant portion of their hardcore punk audience due to the album's major-label status. Americana followed in 1998, scoring the hit "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)." In mid-2000, the Offspring made controversial headlines with their decision to offer Conspiracy of One free of charge via the Internet prior to the initial November release date. Sony Music did not adhere to such a move and threatened a lawsuit; therefore, the band nixed plans to release the album in such a manner. Individual singles, however, were made available on the band's official website and other music-related sites such as MTV Online.

Godsmack Biography by Jason Ankeny

The Boston-based alternative metal group Godsmack originally comprised vocalist Sully Erna (a devout Wiccan), guitarist Tony Rambola, bassist Robbie Merrill and drummer Tommy Stewart. After debuting in 1997 with All Wound Up, Godsmack signed with Universal, who in 1998 reissued the LP as a self-titled effort with a handful of new tracks; at that point Stewart -- who'd left the group in mid-1997 and was replaced by drummer Joe D'Arco -- returned to the lineup on a permanent basis. The band's audience built slowly but surely, and Godsmack was certified gold in 1999, the same year the group was invited to join the Ozzfest tour; by the next year, it had sold over three million copies, thanks to hit singles like "Whatever" and "Keep Away." In 2000, the group again played Ozzfest, and released their second proper album, Awake, that fall. In January 2001, Awake earned the band a Grammy nomination for "Best Rock Instrumental Performance" for the song "Vampires," and by March, it had sold two million copies. Hot on the heels of their continuing success, their single "I Stand Alone" propelled the hype of the movie The Scorpion King in March 2002. As the single maintained Godsmack's strong presence at modern rock radio into the summer, founding member Tommy Stewart left the band in June. The David Bottrill-produced (Peter Gabriel, Tool, Mudvayne) album, Faceless, appeared in April 2003. It also marked the debut of ex-Amen drummer Shannon Larkin. The all-acoustic Other Side arrived in spring 2004.
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:37 pm

offspring easily. smash was the first album I ever bought ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby domination » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:39 pm

smash is one of the best rock albums ever made, every song is a classic.
Fear is the mind killer.
domination
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:56 pm

Offspring is one of thsoe bands that people can really like or really hate (most haters tend to focus on bands like this) but I like them, and I like some of Godsmack's stuff too. But I voted Offspring. I remember having to hide my "Smash" CD under a pyramid I built for my grade 5 class, because my parents would have taken it away if they knew I had it :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:39 am

If offspring hadn't made that white guy song I woulda voted for them...both these bands are just average
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

The Matchup

Postby Ballwreckers » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:41 am

You know, listening to Offspring over the years, besides the fact the have gone alittle too main stream, but there skills as musicians are a little more apprent in the later albums just because they try to venture out side of the3- 4 chord they were playing. Lycially they are weaker, but I say they are better than the pop punk crap thats out now.

I loved Godsmack's first cd, but they haven't put out a decent one after that..my vote went to Offsping.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:05 am

This is looking like it might be a close one.
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:00 pm

Godsmack... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:14 pm

Godsmack sucks, Go Offspring
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:52 pm

Voted Offspring only due to the fact that I have no respect at all for godsmack. :-t
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk