Thoughts on the Tigers' lineup - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Thoughts on the Tigers' lineup

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on the Tigers' lineup

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:06 pm

After the signing of Ordonez, I actually think the Tigers may have a rather potent lineup. Here's my projection for the batting order:
1) Alex Sanchez - CF
2) Carlos Guillen - SS
3) Ivan Rodriguez - C
4) Magglio Ordonez - RF
5) Dmitri Young - DH
6) Carlos Pena - 1B
7) Rondell White/Craig Monroe - LF
8) Brandon Inge - 3B
9) Omar Infante - 2B

As much as I'm an anti-Sanchez guy, I just can't see any other leadoff options right now. Maybe Guillen, but he thrived in that #2 spot and I wouldn't want to take him out of there. If only Sanchez could play defense like we need...

Pudge stays at #3 where he was last year, Dmitri moves down to 5th and provides protection for Magglio.

Whether Rondell or Monroe are playing, they could pretty much occupy the same spot in the lineup. I like Inge at 8, he played well there last year. Even if his numbers drop off a bit, he still looks to be a good #8 hitter. He plays surprising defense, too. He's not a gold glove candidate like Trammell suggests, but he'll surprise many people.

And in that last spot Infante. He played well there last year and his speed along with Sanchez's speed could really set the table for the big bats in our latter times through the lineup.

In my opinion, this could actually be a pretty good lineup offensively. Not in the class of the Yankees or whatever, but not too bad compared to most teams particularly our own division.

Any other thoughts or lineup projections?
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:12 pm

Thats looks really good. Just a couple nitpick points that I could see happenning.

White/Monroe/Young/Higgy - Is that the deepest LF/DH in baseball?
They have to move one, right? That alone has to to be remembered when discussing these lineups.

One of the biggest things this offseason has showed us is the lack of love for Alex Sanchez shown by both Detroit's front office and the media. It wasnt until Finley signed with The Angels Angels that Sanchez got his 1 year contract. Everyone knows about his deficiencies at almost every aspect of the game - hitting (poor OBP - especially for a leadoff batter), running (insanely high CS%), and defense - including the media - they have been after him for quite a while now. Granted as of right now he is their starting CF, I just am not putting much into his projections - he'll either get hurt, get traded, get benched, or get good - my bet is that it isnt the last one.

I think Omar Infante is a candidate for leadoff. Good contact hitter who has got to be a big bright shinning star for Tiger fans. The kid was probably their most improved player over the last 15 months. I can see him with an OBP over .350 this yr.

Also, Ive heard and read lots of buzz regarding Monroe having a true breakout yr - the sign will be when they make a deal.

They cant just drop Higgy, but he will be one of the highest paid backups in MLB.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cmchampa2 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:43 am

The line-up will be solid, with the middle of the order about as good as anyone's, though with more injury concerns than most.

Like Tram says, a couple of spots are up for grabs, but the pieces are pretty interchangeable. Sanchez or Logan? White or Monroe? Whichever two play, neither will be an offensive liability. There hasn't been a whole lot of talk about Logan, but I think the Tigers management likes what they saw last year and will give him every chance to steal the starting spot over Sanchez. I know it's hard to win with rookies (Logan), but everyone knows it's impossible to win with awful defense (Sanchez). I wouldn't be surprised if it's Sanchez, and not Higgy or Thames, that gets cut or traded for a bag of balls.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cmchampa2 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:44 am

The line-up will be solid, with the middle of the order about as good as anyone's, though with more injury concerns than most.

Like Tram says, a couple of spots are up for grabs, but the pieces are pretty interchangeable. Sanchez or Logan? White or Monroe? Whichever two play, neither will be an offensive liability. There hasn't been a whole lot of talk about Logan, but I think the Tigers management likes what they saw last year and will give him every chance to steal the starting spot over Sanchez. I know it's hard to win with rookies (Logan), but everyone knows it's impossible to win with awful defense (Sanchez). I wouldn't be surprised if it's Sanchez, and not Higgy or Thames, that gets cut or traded for a bag of balls.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:50 pm

No matter what happens, I doubt Higginson will be playing much for the Tigers. You can't play him over White or Monroe (or at least that's the way it should be). We'll be playing both White AND Monroe before we play Higginson, since Monroe does have a shot at CF. While I could live with Infante hitting leadoff, he has never proven to be a good on-base guy. But to be fair, if Sanchez isn't hitting well over .300 and instead closer to his career average then he's probably worse than Infante due to horrible baserunning.

I'm convinced that Alex Sanchez may be the team's biggest weakness, so I would absolutely love Infante to be able to step up his game and raise his OBP. Monroe or Logan would be much better in CF.

Here's some interesting stats, Nook Logan walked almost twice as much as Sanchez in a little under 1/3 of the atbats. Nook also had a very respectable OBP at .340 (higher than Sanchez who was at .335). Granted that's a small sample size for sure, it makes me wonder how much worse he'd really be than Sanchez in getting on base.

I guess my point is if there's any way to not have to play Sanchez, I'm all for it.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cmchampa2 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:24 am

I'm posting everything twice until my title changes from T-ball Coach. Sorry for any inconveniance. :-)
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cmchampa2 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:25 am

I'm posting everything twice until my title changes from T-ball Coach. Sorry for any inconveniance. :-)
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Detroit Tigers