The Ultimate Sleeper..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Ultimate Sleeper.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:57 am

18.36 Average draft position in Mocks I've been monitering of A.BELTRE

Positions drafted:

Out of 11 drafts 2 were third round, just as many were first round. :-?

I will give you a few "Under-valued" players:

Dunn & Huff in the fourth round.
Sexson, Matsui, Damon in 6-7th round

And the "Ultimate"

Hafner in round 9-10 ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:53 am

wkelly91 wrote:18.36 Average draft position in Mocks I've been monitering of A.BELTRE

Positions drafted:

And the "Ultimate"

Hafner in round 9-10 ;-D

Hafner is going to be a monster this year if he stayd healthy. I'm surprised that not too many people are high on him.

Sexson in the 6-7th round is not that great of a pick IMO. There are still a lot of good players out there and he shold not be going around the same time as players like Hideki. I also think Dunn in the fourth is WAY too high.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:45 pm

Yoda wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:18.36 Average draft position in Mocks I've been monitering of A.BELTRE

Positions drafted:

And the "Ultimate"

Hafner in round 9-10 ;-D

Hafner is going to be a monster this year if he stayd healthy. I'm surprised that not too many people are high on him.

Sexson in the 6-7th round is not that great of a pick IMO. There are still a lot of good players out there and he shold not be going around the same time as players like Hideki. I also think Dunn in the fourth is WAY too high.

I like Hafner a lot, but I think he's only DH-eligible in my league (think he played under 20 at 1st).
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 pm

Beltre hit 344-48 last year. Not even Pujols ever hit those numbers. Plus, he actually IMPROVED as the year went on. Post all-star break, he went 356-26-65. Some fluke. And now, he's in a much stronger line-up, batting behind Ichiro and Winn and ahead of Sexson and Boone. He's 25. His bat speed is incredible. He was always touted as a potential superstar (he was drafted into the majors at 19!) and had two promising years, before trailing off in a string of nagging injuries.

I'll repeat myself: he's 25, always was targeted as a break-out star, hit 344-48 last year, actually improved as the year went on, and is now in a much stronger line-up. If that ain't worth at LEAST a second round pick, I don't know what is.

I find it amazing that most fantasy owners are making a case for guys like Teixeira in the 2d round, who are the same age as Beltre, and who even in the wildest fantasy projections come nowhere near Beltre's 2004 numbers. Hello! Beltre has actually already put up the numbers that Teixeira lovers only DREAM about. I'll take the guy who has actually DONE it over the guy that hasn't any day of the week.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:45 pm

Beltre absolutely STUNK for fantasy purposes for years prior to 04. This was not some mediocre player showing signs with the potential (ala Renteria).

2003: .240 23/80/50
2002: .257 21/75/70
2001: .265 13/60/59

And all for the most part full seasons.

He has a contract year and all of a sudden...bam, big top player numbers. In this day, if you do not suspect a Javy Lopez-like 1 year roid bounce you are naive. Balco Barry designer roids, money as an incentive or he finally getting it all together? I have no idea, but I want no part of the risk factor come round 2. This is not a round 16+ flier we are talking about now, it is a player you a rebypassing the likes of a Rolen or Schmidt or Tex or Thome for...no thanks.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

hey rico

Postby baseball_playa18 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:04 pm

i like your stlye man. but i'm going to have to disagree with you on this, i think that Randy Johnson is the biggest sleeper this year. I mean the guy is just getting old and who know if he can deal with the pressures of NY. Ive even seen him drop to the #3 overall SP in some drafts, HUGE sleeper IMO.

j/k
You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. -Jim Bouton

Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once.
baseball_playa18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dark Knight » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:12 pm

My sleeper is the Yankee's 1B/DH Giambi. You can problably get him in round 12 or later in your draft. He will problably bat around .250-.270 this season, with 25-35 HR's and 75-100 RBI's, in the loaded Yankees lineup.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:53 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:So many want to commit to Contract Year Adrian in the first couple of rounds and then proclaim how deep 3b is. This place has no consistency to its logic or its approach to drafting. With guys like Chavez, Blalock, Aramis Ramirez available rounds 3-6 I do not see why anyone wants to take the risk on someone like Beltre in round 2. It makes absolutely no sense to me. And that does not even factor in that ROlen is a round 2 pick and a far safer pick who wil put up similar numbers even if you believe in Beltre.

Exactly... Let everyone else take 3rd basemen real high, and you swoop up the best of the other players available.. And steal David Wright many rounds after the top 3rd basemen have already flown off the board... ;-D ;-D ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers