Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Ultimate Sleeper.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby so0perspam » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:04 am

Rico The Retard wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:ive only seen him in the 1st round of 1 and other than that hes in the late 2nd/early 3rd rounds, ive seen him go twice in the 4th

Well some leagues have smarter owners in it than others. ;-)

ok soop, u win

Yay .... I beat a retard. :-o

ugh i give up trying to post something serious......i just get abused :~(

Wow, this was actually supposed to be a serious thread? Woops, I couldn't tell. }:-)
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:13 am

so0perspam wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
Rico The Retard wrote:ive only seen him in the 1st round of 1 and other than that hes in the late 2nd/early 3rd rounds, ive seen him go twice in the 4th

Well some leagues have smarter owners in it than others. ;-)

ok soop, u win

Yay .... I beat a retard. :-o

ugh i give up trying to post something serious......i just get abused :~(

Wow, this was actually supposed to be a serious thread? Woops, I couldn't tell. }:-)

haha thats a good one
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: The Ultimate Sleeper.....

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:30 am

Rico The Retard wrote:......is Adrian Beltre

ok now i dont have much of an explanation or proof to why hell do good and i know that everyone here talks down on him and that lots of facts lead to him having a bad year like last year was a contract year, etc. But this is a top 3b option who put up top 3 numbers last year(yes i know last year was his breakout year and all of his other years have sucked) yet he is falling to about an average of late 2nd, early 3rd in 12 team leagues sometimes ive even seen 4th. So thats great value if you could snag a guy with top 3 numbers that late in the draft. I mean Johan Santana never had an extremely great period of play until the second half of last year yet everyones up on him and hes taken in the 1st round, also people in the baseball world like scouts, etc. have been saying for years that this kid has great potential and could breakout any year and last year was that year, so all im just saying is keep an eye on him and dont be surprised if he puts up big numbers again.

I'm open for all criticism ;-D

Im right there with you Rico. I too have seen him drop pretty far in some drafts. I dont expect him to last til the mid 2nd rd in my drafts, but if I was fortunate enough to land him anywhere in the 2nd Id be happy.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:43 am

So many want to commit to Contract Year Adrian in the first couple of rounds and then proclaim how deep 3b is. This place has no consistency to its logic or its approach to drafting. With guys like Chavez, Blalock, Aramis Ramirez available rounds 3-6 I do not see why anyone wants to take the risk on someone like Beltre in round 2. It makes absolutely no sense to me. And that does not even factor in that ROlen is a round 2 pick and a far safer pick who wil put up similar numbers even if you believe in Beltre.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JDD » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:40 am

When I opened this thread, I thought for sure it would be a post about Aaron Boone.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:41 am

TheYanks04 wrote:So many want to commit to Contract Year Adrian in the first couple of rounds and then proclaim how deep 3b is. This place has no consistency to its logic or its approach to drafting. With guys like Chavez, Blalock, Aramis Ramirez available rounds 3-6 I do not see why anyone wants to take the risk on someone like Beltre in round 2. It makes absolutely no sense to me. And that does not even factor in that ROlen is a round 2 pick and a far safer pick who wil put up similar numbers even if you believe in Beltre.

I don't know anything, but I agree with this. The contract thing is weighing heavy on a friend of mine who watches baseball more intently than I do. He seems to think Beltre will bust this year because he has his money and is moving to another team.

Of course, Beltre played most of last year with only one good leg...it looked like he couldn't even walk at times but still blasted a ton of homers. At full strength he might be even more deadly.

I think I would like to have Rolen more than Beltre to be safe...I trust the Cardinals offense to be pretty good since they play so many games against the Reds, Brewers, and Pirates (and several at Minute Maid). :-)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:14 am

TheYanks04 wrote:So many want to commit to Contract Year Adrian in the first couple of rounds and then proclaim how deep 3b is. This place has no consistency to its logic or its approach to drafting. With guys like Chavez, Blalock, Aramis Ramirez available rounds 3-6 I do not see why anyone wants to take the risk on someone like Beltre in round 2. It makes absolutely no sense to me. And that does not even factor in that ROlen is a round 2 pick and a far safer pick who wil put up similar numbers even if you believe in Beltre.

Im not sure why people would take Rolen that early, but the reason people like me enjoy taking Beltre where he goes is because he was a top 5 overall player and I dont see his value dropping that much. That would put him in a teir above the Chavez, blalock, ARams. Its a good point about depth though. If I miss out on Beltre I have no problem waitng a few rds for someone from the next tier.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Garry26 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:10 am

There is no "Ultimate Sleeper" because the Ultimate Sleeper changes from league to league. Like the poster said, a sleeper is one who produces far better than the owners of a league believe. So only 1 person bids on him or he goes in a low round.

This sleeper changes from league to league because it depends on what the league owners think they know. If most owners in a league think well of him, he will command a higher price. If not he will command a lower price.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby kidnemisis » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:17 am

bottom line in some drafts beltre is a definite VALUE pick not a sleeper, but some people(including me) have undervalued him to the point that he can be a good pick but i will still go for my similarly ranked 3basemen over him. :-D
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:24 am

Even though I don't think his breakout was a fluke by any means, saying Beltre is a sleeper is like saying Jeter is one (except Jeter does it year after year & not in just his contract one). I haven't seen him go outside the Top 2 rounds yet.

Year after year, we hear how players (i.e. Renteria, Cabrera, Nomar) are going to perform better than Jeter. In the end, we know who ends up on top. This will probably be my final compliment towards a Yankee player. ;-D

Perhaps Beltre was a Top 5 player, but he also had an OBP of under .300 2 years ago and barely above it in 2003, while guys like Rolen & Chavez have consistently been among the elite for a few years now -- and will be drafted later.

I think I have Beltre as the #5 3B behind A-rod, Rolen, Blalock, Chavez & to me that's medium where he belongs. (He could finish #12 as easily as he could finish #1)
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers